U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,014,032 times
Default How much does it cost to build a barn???

I want to have a barn built on my property.

How much should I expect it to cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM

459 posts, read 542,329 times
What kind of barn, wood or metal? I call mine a shop, it is a 40x60 with 14 ft ceiling steel building and has a garage door, entry door and concrete floor, nothing fancy. I had to get the concrete slab laid first, the building company didn't do that. Cost about $25,000 more or less a thousand each way. That was in 2004. Hope that helps

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
What kind of barn, wood or metal? I call mine a shop, it is a 40x60 with 14 ft ceiling steel building and has a garage door, entry door and concrete floor, nothing fancy. I had to get the concrete slab laid first, the building company didn't do that. Cost about $25,000 more or less a thousand each way. That was in 2004. Hope that helps
Wood is what I've been imaginining. There's already a metal garage on my property.

I've been seeing these steel building packages in ads. Their prices are much less. Is that what you did?

There are some Amish near me that I want to talk to about building it. Does anyone have experience with having the Amish build a barn for them?

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-13-2010 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM

4,925 posts, read 5,936,533 times
Yup, it all depends upon what kind and where you are. It'll cost considerably less in one state than another, shoot, it can vary widely within a state.
You can erect what is an essentially pre-fab metal building for considerably less than the $25,000 tinynot spent.

I've known people that have recently put up what served as a barn for 3 grand all the way up to someone who put in a livestock palace for a couple hundred thousand. And you could put up a pole barn for less than 3 grand...

World Citizen, you might want to be more specific with what you want to do to get a closer dollar figure here...

Old 06-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Yup, it all depends upon what kind and where you are. It'll cost considerably less in one state than another, shoot, it can vary widely within a state.
You can erect what is an essentially pre-fab metal building for considerably less than the $25,000 tinynot spent.

I've known people that have recently put up what served as a barn for 3 grand all the way up to someone who put in a livestock palace for a couple hundred thousand. And you could put up a pole barn for less than 3 grand...

World Citizen, you might want to be more specific with what you want to do to get a closer dollar figure here...
I'm glad to hear that you can build a pole barn or barn for a lot less than $25,000. That's way more than I can afford.

So, you can have a pole barn built for around $3,000?

I've already got a cement floor and electric run to my garage. Now, I'd like to have a multi-use barn that I could use for storage of lawn mowers, garden stuff and "whatever".

A need a place where I can make messes.

In my mind's eye, I see a big red barn with a loft with a window up top. But, I don't hate the idea of having a horse barn steel package with
several stalls / "rooms".

When I get some other things done around here, I'd love to get a horse.

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-13-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM

206 posts, read 684,246 times
My husband and I just built a barn. It has a loft, some with solid floor and some with open grid floor for hay storage. It's a pole barn type, my husband designed it himself. Not real fancy but will fit our needs, livestock and room for an office / vet area, which we have not finished that part yet. It's all wood - 6x6 posts in cement, with pre-fabricated siding material that we have to paint. There is a metal over plywood roof. The building is 24 x 40 and has a stairway on the outside going up to the loft. The metal roof alone cost about $2,000. We also got a good deal on the posts and lumber by buying it all at once and combining with neighbors to get an entire truckload from Tennessee. We built the entire barn ourselves with very little outside help and the only heavy equipment we used was a rented man lift to put the siding on the upper level. We hired some locals with a bobcat to spread around 3 truckloads of gravel on the inside and around the outside edge. We still have to wire it up. But I would say the 20,000 price is probably very close to what we spent on materials alone. Now you can put a metal roof on without the plywood and paper.... you can not put the hurricane brackets on the crossbeams for the roof like we did and you don't have to tie the whole thing together with large bolts and Barn Screws. I'm sure we over did it on a few things... but this barn won't be blowing over or leaning sideways in a few years, that is for sure !!!

All depends on how big you want it, what you are using it for etc.
Attached Thumbnails
How much does it cost to build a barn???-dsc05016s.jpg  

Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,650,220 times
We recently had a 30' x 40' x 12' pole barn built, with one roll up door, one entry door, four windows, one 12 foot by 40 foot overhang, scissor trusses, and a 16 foot area with extra high ceiling framing, and a cement floor. It cost around $20,000.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,682,850 times
To me, a pole barn ( for cattle) must either be a 3 sides enclosed, 1 side open or be insulated ( sidewalls and cieling ) and electrically ventillated with fans ( confinement barn)

Having livestock cattle in a fully enclosed , non insulated .non ventilated, building is an unhealthy disaster.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
My husband and I just built a barn. It has a loft, some with solid floor and some with open grid floor for hay storage. It's a pole barn type, my husband designed it himself. Not real fancy but will fit our needs, livestock and room for an office / vet area, which we have not finished that part yet. It's all wood - 6x6 posts in cement, with pre-fabricated siding material that we have to paint. There is a metal over plywood roof. The building is 24 x 40 and has a stairway on the outside going up to the loft. The metal roof alone cost about $2,000. We also got a good deal on the posts and lumber by buying it all at once and combining with neighbors to get an entire truckload from Tennessee. We built the entire barn ourselves with very little outside help and the only heavy equipment we used was a rented man lift to put the siding on the upper level. We hired some locals with a bobcat to spread around 3 truckloads of gravel on the inside and around the outside edge. We still have to wire it up. But I would say the 20,000 price is probably very close to what we spent on materials alone. Now you can put a metal roof on without the plywood and paper.... you can not put the hurricane brackets on the crossbeams for the roof like we did and you don't have to tie the whole thing together with large bolts and Barn Screws. I'm sure we over did it on a few things... but this barn won't be blowing over or leaning sideways in a few years, that is for sure !!!

All depends on how big you want it, what you are using it for etc.
Wow. Your barn is beautiful.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
We recently had a 30' x 40' x 12' pole barn built, with one roll up door, one entry door, four windows, one 12 foot by 40 foot overhang, scissor trusses, and a 16 foot area with extra high ceiling framing, and a cement floor. It cost around $20,000.
You're talking about a metal pole barn, right?

I had no idea that they cost that much. I've only seen the kits for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living