U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Where I live the population is about 9k. There is Walmart and some fast food places. Some good restraunts. But if you really want to go out and play, most people go to Stillwater. Its only a half hour away so thats fine. Most people here are retired and can't to spend a lot on socializing, but there are clubs and concerts which don't cost much up in Stillwater. Or they work and don't have a lot of time.

I rather like that we have a nice quiet town where there isn't much excitement but are close enough to one that has a university and even a counterculture of sorts. I went to a Celtic Festival last weeked there, and there are rock hound clubs and lots of creative people. It's just that in a town where the population isn't as large, you have to look for the places (like the festival) where you find them.
Thanks. I could live without Walmart.

I don't care for culture or socializing. I agree, if you want to social, you need to go look for places. I don't want to.

I'm considering Oklahoma as my next state. I looked at Cushing, and I don't like it. It's too close to interstates and major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM

389 posts, read 652,476 times
I currently own a small ranche a few miles outside of Cody Wyoming, the Cowboy Capital of the World. There's lots to do in the city of Cody, which is only 9 thousand people, but it's nice to come home to nothin' but nature & surrenity.

As far as dating goes, I go to Cody from time to time to get things for the farm & such, & once in a while I'll stop off @ a country bar or something. It all depends on the person livin' in rural areas. If they wanna focus on everything but relationships, that's just them. I love men! I love cowboys, tenderfoots, & scared little cityboys! I love sex & romance! Well, I oughta love those things. I'm only 25, & I'm not ready to settle down yet. I'm just a normal 25 year old, 'cept maybe a little more mature & a little different. I like to get out there & bring a man home once in a blue moon to see where it could go.

Still, I do have higher priorities such as my crops & animals. I live off of this farm; the cattle, chickens, & vegetables, grains & oats/hay/weat. I grow a lot & I have a full day all day. Speaking of that, gotta go out to the field now.

Jessie

Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,390,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post

I'm considering Oklahoma as my next state. I looked at Cushing, and I don't like it. It's too close to interstates and major cities.
Actually, it is a little-known factoid that Cushing is a place of critical geo-economic importance. The quoted daily price for crude oil is defined as the price at delivery in Cushing, which has a 40-million barrel storage capacity. If you buy a futures contract for oil, and don't sell it, your oil will be waiting for you to pick it up in Cushing, Oklahoma.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I currently own a small ranche a few miles outside of Cody Wyoming, the Cowboy Capital of the World. There's lots to do in the city of Cody, which is only 9 thousand people, but it's nice to come home to nothin' but nature & surrenity.

As far as dating goes, I go to Cody from time to time to get things for the farm & such, & once in a while I'll stop off @ a country bar or something. It all depends on the person livin' in rural areas. If they wanna focus on everything but relationships, that's just them. I love men! I love cowboys, tenderfoots, & scared little cityboys! I love sex & romance! Well, I oughta love those things. I'm only 25, & I'm not ready to settle down yet. I'm just a normal 25 year old, 'cept maybe a little more mature & a little different. I like to get out there & bring a man home once in a blue moon to see where it could go.

Still, I do have higher priorities such as my crops & animals. I live off of this farm; the cattle, chickens, & vegetables, grains & oats/hay/weat. I grow a lot & I have a full day all day. Speaking of that, gotta go out to the field now.

Jessie
Wyoming sounds good, but I hear there are so many gangs and illegal aliens in WY. That doesn't sit right with me. I don't know, we will see.

A little wild, aren't we. What made you decide to farm and raise cattle by yourself at 25 in a tiny town? I'm surprised because we're very close in age. I thought i was the only crazy one wanting something like this. Everyone else wants their ipods and facebook all the damn time.

I like to go in a bar once in a while also to cool off.

I will look into Cody. Thank you for your help, Jessie.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, it is a little-known factoid that Cushing is a place of critical geo-economic importance. The quoted daily price for crude oil is defined as the price at delivery in Cushing, which has a 40-million barrel storage capacity. If you buy a futures contract for oil, and don't sell it, your oil will be waiting for you to pick it up in Cushing, Oklahoma.
Thank you for that interesting little factoid. Maybe I should buy myself a barrel or two. My pickup is lousy on gas.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,909,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, there was a two hour special on the state of the oil industry on one of the networks. The host opened the show standing under the Cushing sign. I was hoping they showed more than the storage areas outside of town but they didn't.

Its also a nice small town. Small is relative of course. Where I am from in socal this is a neighborhood, or maybe part of one if there is an apartment building around.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,909,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Thanks. I could live without Walmart.

I don't care for culture or socializing. I agree, if you want to social, you need to go look for places. I don't want to.

There are a lot of much smaller towns too, and if you look up towards Tulsa its a beautiful area. Also lots of rural areas.

One thing I like here is that I seriously doubt it will ever build up like socal. Here's to all the bad perceptions of the state that people who have never been here have "heard". I think there are fewer people in the whole state than in Los Angeles city, not even considering LA county.

I go visit a friend in Stillwater once in a while and its a really nice small town with more if you want it. If I was to move to something a bit larger it would probably be there.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 AM

Good. Anything stable further away from Tulsa? I don't want cities or big suburbs. I want something permanent. Dying towns are fine. Roots, if you will. I can't stand the transient mindset that the megapolis has.

Never been to Oklahoma, hope I will get a chance soon. I don't imagine I would dislike it.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 PM

16,337 posts, read 13,795,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Just wondering, do you know the All-American Rejects? They're a band from Stillwater.

I don't know how old you are, but you probably have to be young to know about this band.
I know of the All American Rejects. I'm older and think most of their songs are pretty catchy, like "Gives You Hell". ( ha, ha, the kind of songs one thinks of from growing up in Stillwater.) Their short video, made like a documentary, not for a hit song, made about five years ago about going back home to Stilwater and revisiting their high school was cool. I think I saw a brief glimpse of my brother, the high school janitor, in their video.

I never witnessed them when they were trying to get established by playing at a bar on the strip in Stillwater. But then I missed Garth Brooks trying to get his start on the strip, too, back during the 1980s and then later when he performed for a year or so at the now defunct Cimmaron Country Ballroom south of Stillwater after being rejected by Nashville on his first try. By the way, ZZ Top will be in concert at the Tumbleweed in Stillwater on July 31.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-12-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,378,163 times
Rural towns can be fun to live in as a single person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living