U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times

Advertisements

In many areas, lake or river frontage is priced so high many are cut out of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In many areas, lake or river frontage is priced so high many are cut out of the market.
Very true, and likewise there are areas where it is low priced.

Which is why it pays to shop around.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times
Why would lake frontage or river frontage be low priced ?

( an honest question )

Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why would lake frontage or river frontage be low priced ?

( an honest question )
Hmm, so often you seem antagonistic. However in the chance that this is being presented as an honest question, ....

It has been my experience that rural areas tend to have lower prices in general. Away from tourist hot spots, away from Universities and hospitals, shopping centers and housing developments.

Any area where the population density is 10 people per square mile or less, the prices of homes and/or land drops a great deal.

We bought one parcel of forested land with riverfrontage for $900 a acre. Another parcel without riverfrontage for $300 an acre.

They are both forested in a relatively rural township with fairly low taxes.

When I was shopping in 2004 and 2005 I looked at many such properties. We have an adjoining property that is currently up for sale at these prices.

Most people seem to want homes clustered together in neighborhoods rather than rural, so those homes packed in tight clusters with very little land tend to be more desirable and they hold higher prices.

Whereas 100-acre forested parcels appear to be less desirable and market for much less. They provide the residents with the opportunity to have large gardens, a few livestock, orchards, etc. We have even been exploring the possibility of operating a fish hatchery.

The topic of this thread brings up rural, so rural should be on topic here.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,435,295 times
Just be sure to ask if any water front property is in flood plain. There are more building restrictions on building in flood plain and the FEMA flood insurance is high and required if in flood plain and you still have to have a mortgage.

There was a large flood rip through here several years ago and you would never know unless you checked the FEMA maps or were here when it happened. Just next to us are three houses. Two are out of the flood plain and one is in. Yet you can barely tell the slight change in elevation that sent the water away from the two houses out of the flood plain.

It never hurts to seriously check into everything about an area or place you are considering buying. Especially bare land. I know around here you can buy bare land and then find out there is no building permit allowed with that land. Maybe this is why some water front property is less expensive. It might not be able to get a septic on it or there might have to be an engineered septic system used which could cost upwards of 10K or more.

I can not stress enough to be sure to ask about everything and get proof you are getting the correct answers. You can always put in offer on contingency. Property will perk, not in flood plain or how far above BFE you have to build, has an available building permit, property large enough to get both well and septic if not already on or available to city water and sewer hook up. Do not trust anything to be as it appears until you check it out.

Chris

Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 6,533 times
Hi!
Read your post about finding a small town. So did you find one you like? I'm in the same boat as you. Living in Cali and can't wait to be out. Really considering south or North Carolina Would love to be no more than 45 mins from the beach. Let me know what you found. Thanks

Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM

16,797 posts, read 10,713,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLEDOFAM View Post
Hi!
Read your post about finding a small town. So did you find one you like? I'm in the same boat as you. Living in Cali and can't wait to be out. Really considering south or North Carolina Would love to be no more than 45 mins from the beach. Let me know what you found. Thanks
The original post was from2010. I doubt that poster will be back. (Maybe) You send him a PM. You might get an answer.

Meanwhile, you might want to start your own search. At least you've a couple of states in mind, which is a good thing.

Get on the forums for those states and just start scanning. If still interested, ask some questions there.

Good Luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:28 PM

204 posts, read 169,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
Im done with city life.. Im done with so california...

I want small town, rural town, cabin, something... anything... I would love moderate climate, but will consider almost anything...

But, not sure how to find the area, or contact people in the areas or know who i would contact, i.e. realator, city center, etc...

thanks for any tips and suggestions...

bill

Try Carroll County, Mississippi.

There's a residential development near McCarley, between North Carrollton and Winona, selling lots sized about 10-60 acres a lot for about 150k per lot. Some have homes built up already and have a price tag of about 250k-350k.

Carroll County, especially in that area, has at least a 60% white majority.

Carroll County also has a relatively large black community compared to, say many counties in rural California.

It's just 15 minutes from Winona, Mississippi, and Winona has a supermarket, a dollar general, a few small boutiques downtown, a Walmart on U.S. highway 51, plenty of fast food restaurants, and a medical clinic you can go to the doctor for.

Grenada has most of the same conveniences, except that there are more of them except one of each, and they also have specialty stores in a much more charming downtown setting than Winona's.

Grenada's just under 30 minutes from McCarley, Winona's 15-20 minutes south of Grenada, and Winona's just under 15 minutes from McCarley.

Nearby Carrollton also has a Dollar General, and it also has a gas station that serves diesel, the 17-82 gas station, and McCarley and North Carrollton both have restaurants that serve great classic American foods.

You might want to call the Realtor at 662-237-4147 or consider looking a lots on his website at Neill Land Company-land acquisition and sales in the Southeastern states, James A. Neill, Jr.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:26 AM

6,133 posts, read 7,081,053 times
Best way to find small towns - drive down small roads.

Towns at the ends of roads are always kind of cool. That was how I found Key West in the old days (70's). I just drove until the road ran out. Stayed about 8 years. LOL

Same with mountains - just find a town at the end or the road and it will probably be a pretty nice place.

Of course the road through Death Valley ends at Scotty's Castle and it's like 150 there in the summer... so maybe I'm not so smart.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM

11,301 posts, read 12,830,305 times
Look at Madison County, Arkansas. Also Delta County, Colorado and Montrose County, Colorado. There's lots of small towns everyplace. I live outside of a small mountain town of 800 at the edge of a national forest on 41 acres. Took a while to find it, but I'm happy I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living