Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 16,167 times

Advertisements

Im done with city life.. Im done with so california...

I want small town, rural town, cabin, something... anything... I would love moderate climate, but will consider almost anything...

But, not sure how to find the area, or contact people in the areas or know who i would contact, i.e. realator, city center, etc...

thanks for any tips and suggestions...

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 PM

157 posts, read 438,054 times
go to city data home page. Find the state and it will give you size and all sorts of info. You can find about small towns great place to get inf. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,167 times
yea, i have done that but get tons of information, about tons of towns.. there are lots of small town usa

but, finding and getting 'some' usable data, like is there homes available, currently and links to ads or pictures of those homes or cabins...

with city data, and it is cool, btw, i can get a list based on a size i establish and then start seaching on each city, then the next city thent he next...

I would love to find a forum or resource that lists available homes searchable by rural, or cabin, or mountain home or something...

right now i am contemplting hoppin in the car and driving, and looking to get off the interstates and try to find small town usa. and if it is cool and the air is clean, then i will hang for a while, hopefully they have a little hotel or something to rent by the day/week

i wouldnt mind renting or living on a farm or back house / barn something....

thanks for hte reply though...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
I suggest driving. Drive out away from your city and spend some time poking around.

This might help:
Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery/maps/County-Density-09.html - broken link)

Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,910,427 times
We live in tiny town Midvale Idaho. 20 miles from hospital and most kinds of shopping. There is a grocery store and cafe here.

Midvale, Idaho!

You can Google Midvale Idaho and take a walk around town with the little yellow man.

Not really sure of the population until the new census comes out. Somewhere between 150 and 180 people. There are places for sale here. There are no jobs. You need to be retired or able to bring some job with you. This is a little city but you would not feel like you are living in a city. My neighbor on one side has a nice ranch and on the other side raises horses.

I can send you links of a couple places for sale by owner here if you like just direct message me or email me through city data. Do not really know what you are looking for. I am not a Realtor.

Midvale does get lots of snow in the winter and for me I LOVE the snow. The state highway and city both plow the roads and they are usually cleared as soon as possible after the storms stop. Rarely is it a problem for us.

WE are high desert here and about 5 miles from national forest in the pine trees.

Webcam from the hill approaching Midvale and it is a pretty day here so far this morning.

http://birice.vaisala.com/photos/02A...DAD47_cam1.jpg

Well I see there is still some fog, we had rain late last night. Fog gathers along the river. Give it some time and it will clear we are in the sun here, four miles from this cam. It refreshes every 15 or 20 minutes.

Chris

Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,616,742 times
Bill,
Seriously, you need to do some homework, lot's of it...
The only thing you mentioned was small town, Rural Town or Cabin and climate..
So you need to write a list, you don't seem to be sure of what you want, do you know what you don't want? Humidity, 4ft of Snow, Lots of rain..stuff like that... then you can eliminate large sections of the country and then start visiting the places left that you might like.. Visit them in every season to see that it's like...

Old 06-26-2010, 02:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
ditto Cali.
Most likely you have more priorities than "small town" and "moderate climate."
Are you independently wealthy or work from home? Or will you need a job? If so, what field do you work in?
Is it important to you to be no more than a certain distance from your family?
Do you prefer to be within 1-2 hours of a major airport?
Do you want to be within a certain distance of a hospital, a grocery store, a lake?
What price range of home are you considering?
Do you despise: snow, humidity, gravel roads?
Do you have hobbies and interests that will affect where you want to live? (ex. skiiing, surfing)

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM

9,672 posts, read 14,140,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
Im done with city life.. Im done with so california...
I want small town, rural town, cabin, something... anything... I would love moderate climate, but will consider almost anything...
But, not sure how to find the area, or contact people in the areas or know who i would contact, i.e. realator, city center, etc...
thanks for any tips and suggestions...
bill
I'll send you the link for our small town. Really small! 1200 or so people. May be TOO small for you after living in California, or maybe too far. But we are so proud of our little town! Very much like "Mayberry".

Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,140,236 times
Bergovoy, you need to narrow your search to some degree, or set some other types of parameters. There are lots of resources available to do what you mentioned--"a forum or resource that lists available homes searchable by rural, or cabin, or mountain home or something..."

BUT, you have to narrow it down to an area. The resources I have in mind that lists available homes searchable by your standards are real estate listing sites. There are two good ones in my area, but that's the thing...most all of them out there are applicable only to specific areas.

Narrow your area or criteria down to something besides "rural" and you'll be able to take advantage of those real estate listings.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM

37,210 posts, read 60,920,437 times
Also when building a list of what you would want a home to have, consider waterfrontage.

There are a great many lakes and rivers around. We wanted lake or river frontage, so that was on our list.

A lot of land is mountainous with creeks flowing across them, which can be very nice.

We like living in a forest, but clearly not everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living