Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,441,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
Im done with city life.. Im done with so california...

I want small town, rural town, cabin, something... anything... I would love moderate climate, but will consider almost anything...

But, not sure how to find the area, or contact people in the areas or know who i would contact, i.e. realator, city center, etc...

thanks for any tips and suggestions...

bill
Let me google that for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:19 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,417,617 times
I live in Yavapai County AZ - Small towns, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Paulden, Dewey-Humbolt. Prescott National Forest is here - there are multiple city lakes (no swimming though) - moderate weather. I know a realtor if you want to DM me.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,201,229 times
Check out Delmarva.. Delaware's southern most county and Maryland and Virginia's eastern shore. Great coastal area with plenty of room to stretch.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,593,334 times
Find a state you are interested in, or several, based on your desired criteria, and then research the towns with small populations here on City Data. Remember that small towns in rural areas often don't come with a lot of good employment options. It's a trade-off. Many small towns suffered greatly when the manufacturing plants went overseas.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM

37,340 posts, read 61,170,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Find a state you are interested in, or several, based on your desired criteria, and then research the towns with small populations here on City Data. Remember that small towns in rural areas often don't come with a lot of good employment options. It's a trade-off. Many small towns suffered greatly when the manufacturing plants went overseas.
City-Data does present a lot of data.

For my state [Maine] there is: http://www.city-data.com/city/Maine.html

Which lists cities in groups of:
big cities of over 6,000,
Maine Smaller Cities, Towns, and Villages (1000-6000),
Maine Very Small Towns and Villages (< 1000)

When I look through the list, I find that my town is not listed.

When I look closer I find that in my county only a small minority of towns are listed [the largest only].

It seems that the majority of towns in my state are not represented in the 'data' that City-data presents to people searching for data.

To be fair, I did not compare other counties. I have a handy listing of towns in my county, so I used it.

Small towns are not being given equal representation.

As such I am not sure how a person would go about finding data to compare small towns.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
That may work to search for a home by price range, or by bedrooms, or acres. But that does not address the question you were responding to.

"... I want small town, rural town, cabin, something... anything... I would love moderate climate, but will consider almost anything...

But, not sure how to find the area, ..."

Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,295,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why would lake frontage or river frontage be low priced ?

( an honest question )
Are you kidding me? In my small hometown in South Dakota, there is a WPA lake a mile outside. You can "buy" a house on that lake for probably 10-20k. Not every place is like CA.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,689,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Best way to find small towns - drive down small roads.

Towns at the ends of roads are always kind of cool. That was how I found Key West in the old days (70's). I just drove until the road ran out. Stayed about 8 years. LOL

Same with mountains - just find a town at the end or the road and it will probably be a pretty nice place.

Of course the road through Death Valley ends at Scotty's Castle and it's like 150 there in the summer... so maybe I'm not so smart.
Also CD has stats look for population and take a road trip.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,509,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I live in Yavapai County AZ - Small towns, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Paulden, Dewey-Humbolt. Prescott National Forest is here - there are multiple city lakes (no swimming though) - moderate weather. I know a realtor if you want to DM me.
Prescott is a small city of 40,000 people and is three times as expensive as the town of 5000 that I live near in CA. It is. Not a small town as the Op asked about. We live in a desirable area, just not an urban area.

Stereotypes and misinformation seem to abound. Only 3% of CA is expensive compared to the places you suggest. My brother in law lives in the Prescott Valley and his place ain't cheap.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:45 AM

I am not aware of any good resource that indexes small towns by population, so you can compare them.

Finding an online site that lists all small towns is difficult. For over 5 years I have had a 'Google Alert' running, looking for any reference online to my town. Google alerts search the web everyday and email you the results.

If you find a website that does list small towns, I would love to hear about it.

Generally web-presence is greater for a town, as it's population is larger. Urban cities are all over the web. Small towns are less represented, and as you go smaller and smaller, the representation stops entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living