U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,749,520 times

Advertisements

That first 'coon wound would've been when Kitty became an inside guy at night. Doesn't have to be the house either, if you're not so inclined. A garage, barn or secure shed- as long as he's got protection from the elements, food and water is just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
What in the heck is up with the exploding racoon population?

I grew up (1950's) in central Minnesota on a farm right by a small river.

I can count on one hand how many racoons I saw growing up.

Today, nearly every farmer where I live have problems with racoons and there is no river nearby.

I'm guessing decrease in coon hunting is the reason.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 AM

8,082 posts, read 11,892,835 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to learn some animal first aid - guess the first thing to do would be to look for some books, and the second thing to learn is how to recognize what is reasonable for doing at home and what is not and when you are in over your head so waiting too long doesn't double the bill. After you've read a bunch of books you might want to ask your vet or vet tech if they mind you trying to save a little on your bills by learning to do somethings yourself. Be polite, test the water. Maybe swap some kennel cleaning for 'lessons'. Also if there are any licensed wildlife rehabbers they might need volunteers and you could learn while volunteering.

If your cat is not neutered - that is hugely wrong and irresponsible, both for increasing the already crazy overwhelming wild cat population and because its part of why your cat is getting into fights.

I monitor a small feral cat group behind my apt complex. I have seen racoons, opossums and skunks wander through - with no cat wildlife interaction. The cats just stand off and the wildlife ignores them. If your male cat is all territorial or has had some wild kittens he is trying to protect then that's why he's fighting.

I suspect that the previous lack of coyotes is part of the racoon problem. Coyotes are coming back in a big way and I would expect that racoon populations will go down, except where the coyotes can't get or if everybody goes crazy on total eradication of coyotes (which seems to be the general trend) in which case I have no sympathy for people complaining about too many racoons. Of course the feral cat population explosion is feeding the coyote explosion and its possible that with cats as easier prey the racoons don't get taken as much. Everything in balance.

That said you must not be in a coyote area, they are hell on cats and small dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or