U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,776,164 times

Advertisements

Wow! That does really surprise me about South Carolina, but it just goes to show that you really cannot make generalities about places if you've never been there and don't know anyone who has. Reading peoples experiences from all over the country really does help so much.
I would love for this not to be an issue at all, but unfortunately it is something that I feel neccesary to think about. It makes me very happy (and hopeful) to read that your neighbors have been so fortunate to find a community that was willing to like or not like them based on their personalities and not having anything to do with their race.

South Carolina does fit in with our desire to be closer to our family and it seems like the cost of living would be reasonable also, plus being so close to the Blue Ridge mountains would be fantastic (and 4 seasons! I don't think I would know what to do with myself!) We are planning a trip back north to MD for a visit in August so we will definitely take a day to ride through Western SC and look around a little.

It looks like there is a fair amount of development in that general area, how far out from Greenville do you need to go to get to a more rural area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 12,189 times
Default What about the Poconos?

Have you considered the Poconos in northeastern Pennsylvania? The Poconos spans an enormous distance so you have many settings to choose from. We've got the rolling hills and plenty of wooded areas that you've been missing. We're located within 2-3 hours drive-time to NYC and Philadelphia, and less than that to areas in northern NJ. Ideal for commuting to work in areas that pay higher wages, but you'll get to enjoy the lower cost of living in Pennsylvania. And it's only a 4-5 hour drive to MD so you could visit family nearly every weekend. We've got Tobyhanna Army Depot, East Stroudsburg University, Sanofi-Pasteur vaccine production plant, and we've got a wonderful mix of privately-owned stores and restaurants, as well as franchise stores and restaurants. Not to mention four seasons of recreational activities: skiing, golfing, camping, whitewater rafting, fishing, boating, canoeing, hiking, mountain biking, etc.

Photo by Nicholas_T (taken from flickr.com)
Attached Thumbnails
rural living for interracial couple-55350882_e6805271cf.jpg  

Old 07-14-2010, 04:31 AM

745 posts, read 1,996,868 times
Our property is 15 miles north of the center of Greenville (about 20-23 minutes) and very rural. To the north and west of Greenville gets rural very fast; the other side is more typical suburbia, but also very nice. When you drive through, get on Hwy 11, which runs along the base of the mountains so you can see the scenery. Then take a drive into downtown Greenville to see what a beautiful small city it is. Rte 25 is the main road from Asheville to Greenville, and a good place to get off of 11.

Bear in mind that not all of SC, or any other southern state will be as accepting. Greenville is unique in that there is a lot of outside influence, probably from BMW, Michelin, and other large companies. It's not unusual to hear people speaking German in down town Greenville.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,189 times
Default Traveling w/kids

@LLLL98: I have 4 kids, and I can tell you from personal experience that traveling by car any distance for any length of time with kids can double the travel time, especially when the kids are potty training or have a tendency to become motion-sick. What would normally be an easy 8-10 hour drive for you and your husband will become a 12-15 hour drive, or more, when you add infants and/or young kids into the mix. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 AM

14 posts, read 20,380 times
Arrow Race and Rual Living

Hi, just a short note to say that my wife and I are also looking for a rual setting to settle down in...and we share a simular concern. We are both african americans...and would like to settle down in the hocking hills area of Ohio- or in one of the near by counties in the area. We were just there on vacation and considered looking into purchasing some land. However, while there, we noticed several conferate flags flying. Over all, the people were friendly and very helpful....a very laid back environment...slow and quite. We didn't see too many of us there...we saw some-but not many.

That is a major concern for us; however, we are sold on the idea of moving to one of the near by counties in Southern Ohio. It's very beautiful there. What I've done is considered various counties in the area...and I compared census data relative to that county....noting/high-lighting racial % the area. That information has for me been very helpful in potentially locating an area to settle down in.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
I've lived in PA, MD, VA, NC, SC & TX and never really noticed that there was a serious issue with interracial couples. In the deeper South, starting an interracial relationship was still frowned upon, but no one gave grief if you were already in one when you got there. While I was visiting in GA & AL, interracial seemed to be more of a problem. While I was visiting KY & WV, no one even seemed to notice (there seemed to be more problem with mixing classes than mixed races there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living