U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'll start off with....You know your small town is losing it when Wal-Mart no. 2 opens up on the opposite side of town.
Rapid City, South Dakota is in planning stages of getting Wal-Mart #2. Rapid City has 50k population. Not a small town by any means...

Towns shouldn't be judged by how many Wal-Marts as it's inaccurate. The better way is to count how many national chain brands are operating in your town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 PM

15,587 posts, read 7,662,437 times
You know a small town loses when the "Mom and Pop" businesses gouge their customers because they don't have competition.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
When you learn that the filling station has cut the number working the greaserack to one person and it drops the employment rate.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,843,261 times
when there is no pizza shop there and its too far for home deliveries for dominos pizza.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
pizza shop ?

We got a convenience store that makes home made delicous pizza just 3 miles from me.

population------400

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM

However, our small town no longer has a cafe.

Thirty years ago,the cafe had booming business.

Each owner after that did worse and worse.

Everybody still had hope when a new owner started up in the same building.

I would say you know your town is in trouble when all the equipment in a cafe is auctioned off.
The building sits vacant on main street for the last 3 years .

Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM

1,568 posts, read 2,434,230 times
Dang Marmac are you my neighbor?? I know NOT. But in the next town up the road from us the two once thriving cafe's are now just barely keeping their doors open. We do not visit either of them. The cafe here in Midvale really is delightful so we are good. There was a cafe across the street and just a couple of weeks ago all the equipment went out the door. Now the building is for sale. Really inexpensive too.

There is also a take it home and bake pizza place in the next town up 10 miles away. The cost is or was a few years ago about 12 dollars for a large. That seems really high to me. I totally cheat and make them at home myself using a loaf of french bread tomato sauce meats of choice sweet peppers onion olives mushrooms cheese and anything else around that looks good. Hummmmm good idea for dinner tonight.

Chris

Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'll start off with....You know your small town is losing it when Wal-Mart no. 2 opens up on the opposite side of town.
How about when it gets its second stoplight?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Dang Marmac are you my neighbor?? I know NOT. But in the next town up the road from us the two once thriving cafe's are now just barely keeping their doors open. We do not visit either of them. The cafe here in Midvale really is delightful so we are good. There was a cafe across the street and just a couple of weeks ago all the equipment went out the door. Now the building is for sale. Really inexpensive too.

There is also a take it home and bake pizza place in the next town up 10 miles away. The cost is or was a few years ago about 12 dollars for a large. That seems really high to me. I totally cheat and make them at home myself using a loaf of french bread tomato sauce meats of choice sweet peppers onion olives mushrooms cheese and anything else around that looks good. Hummmmm good idea for dinner tonight.

Chris

What a coincidence !

We have a new --take it home and bake it-- pizza place 12 miles away.

It is a convenience store, bait place for fishing, car wash, and 2 unit motel.

The ambitous woman who owned it converted the 2 unit motel into her " pizza factory" ( passed state inspection) and began making delicous pizzas to take home and bake. She has about 10 other business places in a 30 mile area stocking her pizza.

$6.95 for large pizza. Very good, also

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,434,230 times
MR5150. The town 20 miles from us now has two stop lights. We do not have any here just a cross walk across the highway. We usually do not even have to wait to cross even though the highway is highway 95. We did FINALLY get a double yellow line through town on the highway. Thank You State of Idaho for your cooperation.

Marmac. The pizza place used to be a small store and gas station too. Then it was closed for many years. There is a laundromat and two other rooms and now storage units built into the large garage. I am not sure if the laundromat and other large rooms next to it were motel rooms or not. There is a bathroom with shower in the laundromat and the beauty salon. I bet it was a motel earlier. I will ask.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living