Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 89,740 times

Advertisements

Cool Library, Cool Library, Please find me!!!

please post about yours!

I am going on a road trip to find home sweet home and want a small walkable place near a class B city and with some unknown great schools. I would also love to be near fruiting farms and veggie farms. Libraries are a strong statement about a town and I love the community that goes with them!

If you know of any that seem to have it all for their size, please let me know!

I saw one in Pittsford, NY that was a dream come true. It was also a dream come true town with community and excellent schools. I want to find more of these types of places. The taxes were high and it showed all around the town grounds.

Their library has a cafe and you can bring your treats up to the fireplace lounge with huge couches for a read in adult fiction. The children's area is doored off and so is a story hour room. It has a whole room for board books with activities boards on the side of the bookshelves!!! It had so much for the 10 and under crowd. It had a teen section that was a pure hangout with media and books! It has a huge meeting room for community needs. Did I mentioned the coffee and lunch for sale? It also has a porch area in a garden with benches and another area inside so you can look out on the beauty too. Awesome!

It was located in the point of the two crossing main streets overlooking a bridge to a canal. It has so many neighboring residential streets. I am totally in love and would get a lot out of a little town such as this.

I don't care if they don't have every book in the world because so many do the transferring system within the county now.

Thank you so much for your help!!!! XOXO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:36 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
What is a "Class B" city?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
What is a "Class B" city?
My question too.

We have a wonderful little library here. Not all the fancy things you describe of your favorite library but it certainly is walkable from town. There is a small cafe also walkable. In fact everything IN town is walkable since town is only about 6 blocks total.

It is always pleasant to go into our library just to visit or read the local paper. There are always free books to take home and current magazines. People know to drop them off when they are done with them for some one else to enjoy. I especially enjoy a fairly large selection of large print books. And more to be borrowed when needed.

There are several library activities for adults and children. A few different rooms. Computers with high speed internet. Inter library book loans. It is a half block from the river and half block the other direction to city park.

We only have one school K - 12.

Chris

Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 AM

47 posts, read 89,740 times
I am so, so, so sorry for saying Class B! I think it is entirely wrong to put Rochester down if that was hinted! I should have said "Smaller cities." But that isn't exactly what I mean too - It is more that Rochester is an insider place, not much tourism and so the place rings with community - to me - it is still a place the outer small towns go for a big city feel. I love that there is a well sized city in the distance and farms on the other side of a smaller town. I love, love, love the area. My husband is from there and wants to adventure out and at least see other states before we start my son in school (just made 3, we have until he is 5).

The town is perfect to me... I found a video of the library.
YouTube - Pittsford Community Library video tour

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
I have no clue where Pittsford, NY, might be...or what kind of city Rochester might be as I've never been there!

I'm still wondering what a "Class B" city might be.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:22 PM

157 posts, read 440,343 times
What is a class B city?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post

please post about yours!

I am going on a road trip to find home sweet home and want a small walkable place near a class B city and with some unknown great schools. I would also love to be near fruiting farms and veggie farms. Libraries are a strong statement about a town and I love the community that goes with them!

I saw one in Pittsford, NY that was a dream come true. It was also a dream come true town with community and excellent schools. I want to find more of these types of places. The taxes were high and it showed all around the town grounds.

Their library has a cafe and you can bring your treats up to the fireplace lounge with huge couches for a read in adult fiction. The children's area is doored off and so is a story hour room. It has a whole room for board books with activities boards on the side of the bookshelves!!! It had so much for the 10 and under crowd. It had a teen section that was a pure hangout with media and books! It has a huge meeting room for community needs. Did I mentioned the coffee and lunch for sale? It also has a porch area in a garden with benches and another area inside so you can look out on the beauty too. Awesome!

It was located in the point of the two crossing main streets overlooking a bridge to a canal. It has so many neighboring residential streets. I am totally in love and would get a lot out of a little town such as this.

I don't care if they don't have every book in the world because so many do the transferring system within the county now.

Our little town just spent 14 million to build a new library (ironic, considering probably 60 percent of the population in the county are illiterate). It's a beautiful building, certainly, but it always annoys me how there are invariably four times as many fiction books as non-fiction.

My thoughts are that libraries should be seats of KNOWLEDGE. You don't get much wisdom from a romance novel. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Our little town just spent 14 million to build a new library (ironic, considering probably 60 percent of the population in the county are illiterate). It's a beautiful building, certainly, but it always annoys me how there are invariably four times as many fiction books as non-fiction.

My thoughts are that libraries should be seats of KNOWLEDGE. You don't get much wisdom from a romance novel. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Oh, but Branson, fiction is such a wonderful way to escape!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post

please post about yours!

Rome, GA, population about 36000, has a wonderful library. Beautiful physical facility, computers, meeting rooms, and wonderful staff. Their genealogy room has more resources than I have seen in some larger cities. I love the idea of the cafe, teen services, and the fireplace, but if our library had those, I might just move in! Georgia has a great interlibrary loan system, too.

In addition, we have Shorter College & Berry College, which allow community members to use their libraries.

There is a great private school, Darlington, which also accepts boarding students, but the public schools are also good.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM

143 posts, read 374,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

Libraries are supposed to serve the community - if the community wants fiction, then the library should have fiction. If you want some more non-fiction in there, talk to the librarians/collections development. Have some suggestions. Keep in mind, though, the libraries, especially these days, are on extremely tight budgets and may not want to purchase very expensive non-fiction books that won't circulate, so keep those suggestions in the $25 and under range. Librarians appreciate involved - but not bossy - community members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living