Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,511,539 times

Advertisements

I'll start off with....You know your small town is losing it when Wal-Mart no. 2 opens up on the opposite side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,508,107 times
Everyone's definition of a "small town" is different I guess, but to me, if a town has a Walmart, it's not small. When I think of small I think less than 1500 people...

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,123,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Everyone's definition of a "small town" is different I guess, but to me, if a town has a Walmart, it's not small. When I think of small I think less than 1500 people...

The new Walmart Super Center I shop at is 24 miles away and the population sign reads-----4,008

Glad to see Walmart .
Sick of being gouged by the small town Mom and Pops all my life.

The Mom and Pop stores fought Walmart all the way.

Why not ?

Price gouging allowed them a comfortable lifestyle-------lake cabin, boasting they paid all their kids way thru college, new pickup, new big camper to head south for the winter months after they closed up when Walmart came.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,913,567 times
Is 150 people small enough?? Waiting on the new census to find out how many people really do live in the city. and the 83645 zip code. I know the city is tiny. A person could walk the whole town in less than a half hour if you did not stop to visit with any one. And that is almost impossible. A 6 block round trip to the post office takes at least an hour counting visiting time. LOL

Chris

Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,469,785 times
And WalMart was majorly responsible for the loss of a good number of jobs in our community. After they made all sorts of promises to become a major distributor of the Etch-A-Sketch so that Ohio Art came to depend on their sales for a large share of their business, they (WM) promptly informed them (OA) that they would only pay so much for each of their products, take it by moving overseas or leave it. In order to be able to sell the product, OA had to move production to China in order to be able to sell the product. And I remember at one time WalMart advertised themselves as an American Company proudly selling American products. Now go in and see how much is American products. Sorry, I only go to WalMart if there is something I need that I can't get anywhere else. Those Mom & Pop's are the ones that have supported our community for years, so I try to go with them whenever I can.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,123,353 times
No small company should ever have over 50% of their product sold to one large company ( whether Walmart or anyone else )

Once you do, they have you over a barrel.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,804,016 times
^^See Japanese auto makers

Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 10,560,957 times
You know your Small Town is Losing it When:

Every once-vital small-town business or shop in your historical, quaint "town square" is either now closed with a "For Rent" sign in it or filled with some kind of cutsy, arts-fartsy business someone from out of town whose been reading too many "Country" magainzes, has just opened such as a "Pottery/Craft" place, a "Gift Basket Shoppe", "Gift Boutique", or overpriced "Coffee Shoppe" (always with an "e" for flair you know). Absolutely nothing that the town really wants or needs, or that is in anyway going to stimulte the economy or create jobs. From "Grand Opening!" to "Store Closing Sale!" duration time is usually about 6 months max on these "ventures".

The other sign that your Small Town is losing it is when absolutely no new business will come and build in your town EXCEPT CHAIN EATING PLACES. It kills me when our local Chamber of Commerce touts every ribbon cutting at the newest chain restaurant as a sign that our local economy is "growing". It doesn't matter that for each one that comes to town, we have another one decaying and closed with a "Commercial Real Estate For Sale " sign out front. The hi-light of our town's life is to check out the latest restaurant that's opened on Friday night. We may be losing our jobs and houses, but we're sure as heck going to eat!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,179,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'll start off with....You know your small town is losing it when Wal-Mart no. 2 opens up on the opposite side of town.
LOL I was in the Walmart they are fixing up, the one on Perkins road, recently. What a mess....

Just sell the stuff they do in Stillwater in the one in Cushing and I'll be happy.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,396,309 times
Was going through Preston,Mo. the other day.My wife pointed out there was a Bulls Eye Stations on opposit corners

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living