U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM

154 posts, read 290,816 times

Advertisements

I am from a big city growing up and currently live in a bigger city. I applied to a position in education in a very rural town. This would be a very big change for me but one I am ready for and I think I would be really excited about the challenge. Anyways looking at the website and who is working there now it seems like every single teacher is from that very small town or at least the county. I was in shock how is that possible? Will that hinder me coming in from a different part of the country and a large city. I went to a great college and have all the skills I am just concerned about this aspect.
What are your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 AM

9,171 posts, read 17,548,042 times
Only Lived in a 'small' town for work for about 9 months, Other then that i've been in Mid-sized towns. New people in small town can take some time to 'warm' up to you till they find out what you are all about, but will be friendly, The Pace is slower there, and thing will take more time to get stuff done. No one is in hurry. Keep the Local events and schedules in mind when you give out homework/projects. In some areas School close for 1st day hunting season. Others have huge numbers of students out on 1st day of ... Sport are big, so keep the night time schedule in mind and give several day for homework to be done, So you students can plan better around there other activities. Good Luck. I enjoyed my time in a small town Pop=1000/area=4000

Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM

7,942 posts, read 16,467,597 times
In small towns, there is usually a lot of pressure to hire people 'from here' for the good middle class jobs left like teaching positions. Helps keep families and the community together and prevent brain drain to the nearby 'big city'. They'll only hire outsider if they absolutely cannot fill the job with someone who grew up in the area.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 AM

154 posts, read 290,816 times
that is what it seems like literally everyone is from the area grew up there went to high school there that sort of thing. they new right away i was from somewhere else originally. i guess my fancy education wont get me this gig

Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,193 times
Another thing to keep in mind is your acclimation to a slower-paced life. I live and work in a smaller town about 2 hours west of NYC. It's become an appealing area for city-folk to move to because they can buy a nice, big house for way less than what they would spend in the city, and still commute to the city for the higher wages. Anyway, many have a hard time adjusting because they aren't used to having to drive everywhere. In the city, there a variety of restaurants and stores, and access to public transportation within walking distance. However, depending on how small the town is, there may not be reliable public transportation or otherwise easy access to the simplest of amenities. And many small towns tend to have a ghost town appearance after a particular time of night wherein restaurants and stores may close earlier than what you are used to. You may find a smaller town to be boring by comparison, not to mention a lot darker and quieter at night than in the city. You may want to consider spending a week in that small town to get a glimpse of what your new lifestyle may be like.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 PM

8,682 posts, read 9,457,365 times
My only concern would be is how you are viewed as a person. Some small areas aren't real welcoming of new faces. Others are.

Being connected in a small town can be wonderful. You are really part of it all. People care about eachother. You are *somebody* and not some nameless face. OTOH if everyone views you as an outsider life will suck. The area I live in is welcoming to outsiders as long as you fit in. Not to hard to do. I joke that the area has a good ole boy network, but it is not to hard to join the club.

I grew up in San Francisco and love the small town life. But then again I love nature and doing outdoor activities. Never a boring moment.

The thought of living in a big city gives me the chills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living