U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Reputation: 2499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
The job is not our life and it has taken us until now to realize that. My dh works 50 hours, I work from home and while its seasonal, it still takes up lots of time. My dh has come to hate where we live (loves our house, but schools arent great), I will live anywhere as long as we are happy( lived in Toronto, ireland etc).
It seems as if we never have time to relax or chill and that we try to push more and more into the day. I am totally guilty of that.
There has to be a better way of living.We dont have expensive taste, no car loans, kids arent into the brand names, no fancy meals out or anything like that.
That is how I was,worked 6 days a week and went in on Sunday to do the ordering for the following week....and it wasn't worth it.

That is how my wife was later on,her job was 'only' 5 days a week but seemed like she was always there and it was interfering with our life together.

And at that time we made pretty good money but weren't that happy with our life.

We look back and wish we had taken the leap years earlier but what is done is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Middle TN.
97 posts, read 312,502 times
Reputation: 54
Amen to yall.
Work is NOT my life and NEVER will be. I need time for family and barrel racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
 
Location: NW Penna.
1,759 posts, read 3,240,749 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If you can downsize your expenses,then anything is possible.

If you work $8/hour jobs but have money left over,what is the loss?

People in America are caught up in making money,to the detriment of living.
Having it and not needing it is far, far, better than needing it and not having it. That is a fact.

But Americans look at almost EVERYTHING as a competition,sadly they haven't realised even if you 'win' the competition you STILL die...you just get to spend your whole life doing it.
Yes, certainly. Some of us are competitive and we LOVE the competition, i.e., we compete BECAUSE it is enjoyable. Win is a destination and a goal. But completion is the action and the spice of life. Does a hockey team just win one and then sit! Game on!

What sort of climate do you want?
If you sold everything,would you really need to work good paying jobs?


We are relocating to a very depressed area but our 'mortgage'(land payment actually,the house is paid for) is less than $300/month.
It is possible to buy a house in the towns near us for less than $30,000.
Okay, the only way I'd consider relocating to a depressed area is if I am lower socioeconomic, the same "very depressed" ethnic, race, and educational level as the general populace there. In other words, I'd find a lot of people like me there. IF you are out beyond the educational and intellectual levels and the interests of the depressed-area populace, then moving into a place like that could be very unsafe, very miserable, and a financial disaster. I know urban professionals who moved into "transitional" neighborhoods in Youngstown, OH. I'll not single out anyone, but I will say that within 1.5 years, the character of the neighborhood had changed so significantly that these people literally had the moving vans pull up and clean out the house, and the very night they fled, their homes were broken into, stripped of wire, plumbing fixtures, and some architectural elements. Those people let the banks take back the houses, because there was NO change of selling anything in that infested hole that their "transitional" neighborhood had become. You can't fight gangs and arson and crime, and you can't constantly live in fear for your own and your family's safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Okay, the only way I'd consider relocating to a depressed area is if I am lower socioeconomic, the same "very depressed" ethnic, race, and educational level as the general populace there. In other words, I'd find a lot of people like me there. IF you are out beyond the educational and intellectual levels and the interests of the depressed-area populace, then moving into a place like that could be very unsafe, very miserable, and a financial disaster. I know urban professionals who moved into "transitional" neighborhoods in Youngstown, OH. I'll not single out anyone, but I will say that within 1.5 years, the character of the neighborhood had changed so significantly that these people literally had the moving vans pull up and clean out the house, and the very night they fled, their homes were broken into, stripped of wire, plumbing fixtures, and some architectural elements. Those people let the banks take back the houses, because there was NO change of selling anything in that infested hole that their "transitional" neighborhood had become. You can't fight gangs and arson and crime, and you can't constantly live in fear for your own and your family's safety.
That is you,your choice to make.
I care little about others or how their lives are,they are unimportant to me.

As to dangers from others,firearms are a good equaliser and you simply have to have the moral courage to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Diaspora
21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Reputation: 8930
Take a drive to Center Moriches and see if that fits some of your criteria.

There are many of us transplants here in VA. But if your husbands job is not portable I wouldn't do it in this economy. Jobs outside of the tri-state area pay about 60% on NY rate. As to farming, nice dream but even farmers dont want to do it anymore. Finding large tracts of land is easy. Fertile usable land is an issue. Many of the large farms were turned into large subdivisions.

You can get large tracts of land, but you lose the ability to walk to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Reputation: 2499
As to land,she is talking 5-10 acres,enough to provide for your family and a little left over.

A good(old) book is 5 acres and Independence.
Amazon.com: Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management (9780486209746):…

Another is John Seymour's The Self Sufficient Life and how to live it.
Amazon.com: The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It (9780789493323): John…

We plan to work as little as needed to satisfy our expenses and a little left over to enjoy life doing what we want.

Look into being just big enough to be classified a 'farm' and produce enough from the farm to maintain the tax benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 75,378,972 times
Reputation: 36176
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We would need jobs to cover healthcare. .
Political rant warning. This is how America controls our lives and denies us our freedom. We are forced to work at high paying jobs in high-paying labor markets, in order to get health care. Minimalism is not an option. Only in America---not an issue in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Political rant warning. This is how America controls our lives and denies us our freedom. We are forced to work at high paying jobs in high-paying labor markets, in order to get health care. Minimalism is not an option. Only in America---not an issue in other countries.
Not an issue here really,millions don't have health insurance and get by.

People in the USA make it an issue.

Because people here are afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 75,378,972 times
Reputation: 36176
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not an issue here really,millions don't have health insurance and get by.

People in the USA make it an issue.

Because people here are afraid.
Partly true, and I see where you're coming from. The $2.4-trillion health care cost of Americans works out to $8,000 per year per person ($20,000 per household), which we all pay one way or another. But most youngish people who are reasonably careful about their health and lifestyle can underwrite their own risk, and just say No to insurance. When it was still legal to say No.

The downside is that even the Mayberry Community Memorial Medical Sciences Center and Health Complex has gone high-tech, and subcontracted their ER to big city profit-moguls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top