U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,434,230 times

Advertisements

LOL Sugarsugar. Another one of us. Had the same experience with husbands saying they would live here in a heart beat but not the wives. I think it takes a person that is happy with them selves to be able to live this way. Not that I think I am so great kind of happy . Just content. I do love music and if DH does not have the TV on I play music. And in my work room in the house I jokingly call my studio I play my music. I never really feel along. Good old magic jack and my computer and I am good to call all my friends. I enjoy our animals and maybe treat them more like people in our house.

We do go to town more often from here as it is only 20 miles away. It used to be every 6 months we did what we called big shopping and could easily drop a thousand or so getting all we needed to get along for the next 6 months. There was a grocery store we could get the food at. The internet was not available then. Now I could live that remote much easier. Like you order on line and we even do so from here. We always kept a list going and it was a long hard shopping day. We are older now and it would have to be an over night.

Interesting thread.

Kodaka we were posting at the same time. I suppose many had to change jobs or the job ran out. For us the job was not important as we were basically retired when we first moved to remote areas. From our experience it is not the jobs but the people do not like the lifestyle. We have seen it over and over and it is usually the woman that do not like it. Miss the children or grand kids bla bla bla.
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
We live in a town of 250, our closest city is 25 miles away and has 31k people.

My DW works there so she makes 5 trips into the city each week. If we need something she can pick it up usually on her way home from work.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,996,981 times
I've lived in a small town (but not rural) a rural area, and in very dense suburbs (not a real city like NYC, though). Of the three, I find city living to be easy, but stressful, rural living harder, but much less stressful, and small town living in many ways to be the easiest. In the small CT town I grew up in, adequate shopping was a short bike ride or a long-ish walk away. Traffic and crime were things we knew little about.

Rural living is physically harder, as there are always chores to do on a rural property, unless you are rich enough to hire help, in which case it hardly counts as rural living. Shopping has to be planned, and you keep more provisions on hand in case of bad weather or transportation issues. Depending upon what you do for a living, work is usually harder to find. But as soon as you leave your day job in the city, and drive the windy back roads through the country, by the time you're home, the days tensions have melted away.

We currently live in the very dense suburbs of west central FL. Traffic is horrendous; my 5 mile commute features 11 traffic lights, and can take 40 minutes in the afternoon. No 'tensions melting away' here! Although our immediate neighborhood is fairly safe, crime is all around, and you hear of it constantly. Shopping is close at hand, but there are so many people that you don't want to venture out on a weekend, and forget Christmas shopping! I won't do it anymore- driving around looking for a parking place and standing cheek-to-jowl trying to get a gift. I strictly Christmas shop off-season or on-line now.

People that actually grew up in a city probably are going to find rural life hard. To them, animal noises are scary, and animal odors are offensive. A few gun shots and some diesel exhaust would put them at ease LOL!

Starting next year, we are going to start a little homestead in rural SC, and I can't wait. We've had enough of the city life, thank-you very much!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,129,650 times
Chris - this is an interesting thread, esp when I met other kindred spirits

There is a gas station/store not so far away, that used to cater to hunters & recreationers who come this way, with overpriced gas and snacks, though locals did/do use it as a gathering place. There is a new owner who stocks a few other items, and if you call her, she will bring whatever you might have run out when she comes from town (even doing a root beer float Sunday special. We've also found that anyone coming to our place, like the guy who delivers fuel or the one who put in the woodstoves, or even the local who is doing work on a ranch beyond ours, will pick up X from town and drop it off, as we do for them. When our horseshoer comes, he stays for lunch, some conversation, and plays dh's guitar, while dh plays the piano, about every couple of months.

While I think this is pretty remote, I should add that "town" is 25+ miles away, bigger city is 75 miles away, and big city is about 4 hours. When I first came here, I thought nothing of driving to that farthest away big city to do business on a weekly basis, which meant driving across the mountains in snow and ice (even though I don't like driving in it so much). Sigh, I was so much younger then. It has been a gradual process that has lead me to staying up here more and more, and a bit of age (and as you mentioned, happiness of a content sort) catching up with me. We still go to town a bit more frequently when the weather is good; however, when the snow is 3' deep on our mountain, I don't go unless there is a real need which with a pantry, woodpile stocked high, and plenty to do right here turns out to be not very often at all. I know exactly what you mean by a hard day of shopping - we'd get a list together for weeks, and be gone from early until after dark getting it done. But I am just not that young anymore to do that like we used to when we first came here - never thought the day would come when you could live this far out, yet be able to get anything you can imagine by clicking a button!

We've known people who lived in a cabin in AK's interior - that is the ultimate definition of real deal remote to me! I grew up in a rural area on 25 acres, but didn't consider it remote because we could see 3 other homes. I used to want to do the AK thing, but of late, my old bones tell me the cold would probably do me in (though not the isolation, lol).

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-18-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 09:28 AM

501 posts, read 1,129,650 times
From the stories people tell me, we've had two kinds of people leave here specifically because of the distance issue. One group are the newcomers from the city, who as it was pointed out grew up in a city, and underestimated some of the realities of country life.

The other group are locals used to live closer to town and then moved way out here during the boom times to live their dreams, but with the economy in a shambles, can't afford to drive twice a day, every day, to their jobs. And of late, some are even having a hard time finding money for gas just to visit their friends and other relatives who also live in the area. Usually these locals cut back everything in order to stay, even the internet for some of our neighbors. But for some, the cost of driving becomes the last straw, and they move to the nearest town (just had one do this a month ago - happening much more frequently now).

And for sure, people leave for all sorts of other reasons.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-18-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 AM

15,587 posts, read 7,662,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I can say that of almost everyone who has visited, there hasn't been a single man who hasn't said that he would live out here in a heartbeat, but that his wife would never go for it. The wives do ask me how I can stand the isolation, ie not seeing people for weeks, not shopping daily, no lattes at the coffee shop, etc. They like the views and animals and such, but can't envision being here day after day.
I think its okay for people to choose the lifestlye of their liking, but I never understood why people (like the wives in this instance) would voice their differences with such condescention like that. They're speaking to you as if you're doing something wrong. Amazing.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,065,113 times
I agree with the wives being less happy in a rural area for some reason. I say this while being a wife and living in a remote area because of my husband's job. It is frustrating sometimes because all the other wives in my husband's office hate it here. While there are times I just need to get out of "town," I still really like it here. Thankfully, there are a lot of other women/wives that moved here for different reasons that like it.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 AM

In my case, I worked in a career field where I was 'gone' for 7 months each year [on average]. I was on subs so my 'gone' was underwater: no TV, no phone, no internet. Few of our crewmen's wives stayed married to those crewmen for very long.

As a break from spending so much time on subs, I was able to do two tours of duty overseas. I got to spend more time with my family though we did not have access to: American TV or American food, and we were surrounded by foreign languages / cultures.

My DW and I have been 'disconnected' from the 'American culture' for most of my adult years.

Living rural now is not a huge problem for us.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,434,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I think its okay for people to choose the lifestlye of their liking, but I never understood why people (like the wives in this instance) would voice their differences with such condescention like that. They're speaking to you as if you're doing something wrong. Amazing.
No kidding. I would wonder about that myself. Go it one further. My adoptive parents sent me to a psychiatrist when I was young because I would talk of wanting to live off the land ALONE. Learn the olden ways, they called it. I called it survival. I can do a lot of things most would never even consider trying.No big deal it was interesting for me to learn. And to be honest I felt a bit smug when the neighbor ran out of mayo and was whining about it so I whipped some up for her just to show her NO she was not out of mayo just out of thought.

chris

Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
... And to be honest I felt a bit smug when the neighbor ran out of mayo and was whining about it so I whipped some up for her just to show her NO she was not out of mayo just out of thought.

chris
That was my thought as well. 'just make more'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living