U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM

501 posts, read 1,130,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I think its okay for people to choose the lifestlye of their liking, but I never understood why people (like the wives in this instance) would voice their differences with such condescention like that. They're speaking to you as if you're doing something wrong. Amazing.
Yeah, it has even surprised me, and I am pretty laid back about most things.

I wonder if it is a reaction to the sheer delight being expressed nonstop by their husbands, who get so carried away by it that they are ready to move here tomorrow You know, but for their wives not be as willing.

When I do stay with people in town, while I could well imagine saying that I am not suited to living in a town right now, I couldn't figure why I would tell them that they shouldn't be there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM

501 posts, read 1,130,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
In my case, I worked in a career field where I was 'gone' for 7 months each year [on average]. I was on subs so my 'gone' was underwater: no TV, no phone, no internet. Few of our crewmen's wives stayed married to those crewmen for very long.

As a break from spending so much time on subs, I was able to do two tours of duty overseas. I got to spend more time with my family though we did not have access to: American TV or American food, and we were surrounded by foreign languages / cultures.

My DW and I have been 'disconnected' from the 'American culture' for most of my adult years.

Living rural now is not a huge problem for us.
I would add being on a sub to my list of things that include the Alaskan interior as being true remote living in my book!

That must have been the experience of a lifetime.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,795,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Our DIL lives 15 miles from the City but in her mind she lives in the city.It is nothing for her to make 4 or 5 trips to town a day.

We live 50 miles from the city make the trip on the most part 2 times a month.

We went by a house yesterday by us,my wife told me in the last 15 years it has changed hands 3 times.

This got me to thinking so many are trying to move from the city to the country but it doesn't take long for them to realize that its not that easy to shop or whatever every day.So they consider rural living just too hard.Not long and they are running back to the city.

See so many every year come here camping and say oh I would love to live here for the peace and quiet I'm thinking no you wouldn't!

Just some thoughts.

brushrunner
I think it just depends on the person and how "connected" they are to the collective society that we have become. I constantly read posts from folks who bemoan that there is "nothing to do" (especially if they live rurally and in a small towns) and I scratch my head. I don't get it; it's a foreign concept to me. I don't ever remember a time in my life that I've had nothing to do--whether in a population center or in the middle of nowhere. I'm just weird, I guess. I live in a population center right now and I never take advantage of "all those things to do" (whatever they are ). I go to the grocery store, of course. But, seriously, that's about it other than when I absolutely need something (new clothing, supplies, etc). And I can get that online these days no matter where I am. I can go to the grocery store once a month if I have a nice pantry to stock.

What is it that I'm supposed to be having so much fun doing in the city?

My real "fun" comes when I'm out of the horrible mess of the city, in some lonely place of solitude. I mean really... food, shelter, clothing, a small shelf full of good books, a guitar sitting in the corner of the small living room of my small house. A neighbor that's far enough away to not hear his damned loud music or pickup truck with a defective muffler. And a vast expanse of low-population, open countryside around me to enjoy. What more is there that's worth bothering with?

Last edited by ChrisC; 07-18-2010 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,879,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think it just depends on the person and how "connected" they are to the collective society that we have become. I constantly read posts from folks who bemoan that there is "nothing to do" (especially if they live rurally and in a small towns) and I scratch my head. I don't get it; it's a foreign concept to me. I don't ever remember a time in my life that I've had nothing to do--whether in a population center or in the middle of nowhere. I'm just weird, I guess. I live in a population center right now and I never take advantage of "all those things to do" (whatever they are ). I go to the grocery store, of course. But, seriously, that's about it other than when I absolutely need something (new clothing, supplies, etc). And I can get that online these days no matter where I am. I can go to the grocery store once a month if I have a nice pantry to stock.

What is it that I'm supposed to be having so much fun doing in the city?

My real "fun" comes when I'm out of the horrible mess of the city, in some lonely place of solitude. I mean really... food, shelter, clothing, a small shelf full of good books, a guitar sitting in the corner of the small living room of my small house. A neighbor that's far enough away to not hear his damned loud music or pickup truck with a defective muffler. And a vast expanse of low-population, open countryside around me to enjoy. What more is there that's worth bothering with?
Well, Chris, I'm just as "weird" as you.

It would never occur to me that I DIDN'T have "things to do" even if all I did was sit next to a pond quietly watching the wildlife all day completely alone, no gadgets, no noise, no nothing. If only...!

I remember reading a study that said, as of 2009, there are only TWO places in the continental United States that have NO discernible ambient background noise.

And the authors refused to identify those places. No wonder.

Ah, well. (Check my Status.)

Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,435,295 times
"I remember reading a study that said, as of 2009, there are only TWO places in the continental United States that have NO discernible ambient background noise. "

I know of one place. We had it up behind our property in Challis. Was 15 miles of nothing behind us. Forest service and then BLM over to the next town. It was great to go back a couple of miles and just sit on a rock and listen to nothing. There was nothing to be heard. Was amazing.

I never run out of something to do. Usually it is the other way. Too much to do. Either I have to or want to. I can not imagine being board.

chris

Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM

11,044 posts, read 10,795,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
It would never occur to me that I DIDN'T have "things to do" even if all I did was sit next to a pond quietly watching the wildlife all day completely alone, no gadgets, no noise, no nothing. If only...!
I guess we are just "dreamers" or something. Seriously, I could sit and watch clouds all day. Not that I'd go out of my way to do that, but I wouldn't be bored at all. My thoughts never allow me to become bored. If nothing from the "outer world" is keeping me occupied, my "inner world" takes over and keeps me quite content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post

I never run out of something to do. Usually it is the other way. Too much to do. Either I have to or want to. I can not imagine being board.
Exactly. My job takes up far too much of my time! I can never get everything I have lined up to do done.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,868,792 times
I'm a shopaholic and living in the country suits me fine. I go to "the city" about once a month, and the "big town" maybe 2-3 times per month. The local grocery store has basic necessities (and better meat than anywhere else), and I love the local flea markets.
I have gotten really good at online shopping. I used to love going through a big mall, but now it seems like such a waste of energy. Shopping from my couch is so much more comfortable.
I also have plenty to do...no boredom here.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times
mentioning --corn-- and--ozarks-- together is an oxymoron.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,738,903 times
Well, ya'll know I live in the middle of BFE, so I won't go on about that again LOL

One thing I've noticed up here in the boonies is that wives seem to come in two varieties... the ones who make lifestyle demands that the husband has to fulfill, and the ones whose husbands are trying to keep up with them

Of course, there are two varieties of husbands up here, too... the ones who sit on their butts and expect their wife and the state to take care of them, and the ones work hard and treat their wives like partners. A pairing of the latters is usually a good marriage that will last... but a pairing of the formers, or a former with a latter is doomed to failure.

Guess that pretty much goes for the rest of the world, it's just not usually as much a matter of life or death in the city as it is in the country! Nothing like a little real-world stress to expose weaknesses in a relationsip *really* fast.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,031,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
mentioning --corn-- and--ozarks-- together is an oxymoron.
You know actually in the '50's and '60's there was alot of Grain Crops raised in the Ozarks.But it took a heck of alot of work.I know I picked enough rock every Winter.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living