U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,552 posts, read 6,281,155 times
Reputation: 6364

Advertisements

I'm an older single female and have lived on my farm for 10 years, I'm moving for several reasons, first and foremost, the job market here has died and I have spent 2 years trying to find work...nada. The second is as I've aged I've found I've become very heat intollerant and must move to a more temperate climate for my health.

I LOVE living rural, I'm not into shoping unless its at the feed or hardware store, anything I want I can order on the 'net. I have a few friends that I communicate via phone and email and on rare occasions meet up for a movie or a meal. I don't care about dining out, going to concerts, theater etc. Just give me my critters and my books and my 'puter and a subscription to net flix and I'm set for entertainment. I go for days without ever talking with someone and I enjoy my solitude.

To grocery shop I had my choices all were at least 30 mins away until just recently they put in a Kroger's 4 miles from my house.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: SW MO Aux Arcs
19,224 posts, read 16,572,878 times
Reputation: 17345
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
mentioning --corn-- and--ozarks-- together is an oxymoron.
That's funny. I thought ours was doing just fine. I must be wrong. Thanks for correcting me!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 AM
 
Location: playing in the colorful Colorado dirt
4,487 posts, read 2,475,522 times
Reputation: 6796
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Our DIL lives 15 miles from the City but in her mind she lives in the city.It is nothing for her to make 4 or 5 trips to town a day.

We live 50 miles from the city make the trip on the most part 2 times a month.

We went by a house yesterday by us,my wife told me in the last 15 years it has changed hands 3 times.

This got me to thinking so many are trying to move from the city to the country but it doesn't take long for them to realize that its not that easy to shop or whatever every day.So they consider rural living just too hard.Not long and they are running back to the city.

See so many every year come here camping and say oh I would love to live here for the peace and quiet I'm thinking no you wouldn't!

Just some thoughts.

brushrunner
Just be thankful that the world is so full of sissy's otherwise those of us that love living in the sticks would have WAY too many close neighbors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 6,450,585 times
Reputation: 8127
---WAY too many close neighbors---

Anybody who lives in the sticks and mentions close neighbors must not have bought enough land when they moved there.

Many times people move to the sticks by buying a 2-5 acre parcel then get upset when someone does the same thing by buying the parcel next to them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
 
14 posts, read 13,223 times
Reputation: 15
Default Country Living

You are correct in your assessment of Rural living. My wife and I were just on vacation in the hocking hills area of Ohio. To use our cell phones, we had to drive 25 miles in order to use our cell phones. There were no major stores in the area....now Walmarts...LOL. We drove into Circleville County to shop at the Walmart there. Overal, our trip/vacation was nice. We are seriously thinking about buying some land and moving to Ohio...We are indeed looking forward to it.

By the way...it was a real test of my faith driving on those one lane roads. Smile!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM
 
5,031 posts, read 8,024,428 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm an older single female and have lived on my farm for 10 years, I'm moving for several reasons, first and foremost, the job market here has died and I have spent 2 years trying to find work...nada. The second is as I've aged I've found I've become very heat intollerant and must move to a more temperate climate for my health.

I LOVE living rural, I'm not into shoping unless its at the feed or hardware store, anything I want I can order on the 'net. I have a few friends that I communicate via phone and email and on rare occasions meet up for a movie or a meal. I don't care about dining out, going to concerts, theater etc. Just give me my critters and my books and my 'puter and a subscription to net flix and I'm set for entertainment. I go for days without ever talking with someone and I enjoy my solitude.

To grocery shop I had my choices all were at least 30 mins away until just recently they put in a Kroger's 4 miles from my house.
I glad to hear I'm not the only older female who gets the same enjoyment from the simple things in life. I would love to get out of Texas. May I ask where in the west you plan on going?

P.S. I love the photos of your critters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,728 posts, read 5,359,652 times
Reputation: 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---WAY too many close neighbors---

Anybody who lives in the sticks and mentions close neighbors must not have bought enough land when they moved there.

Many times people move to the sticks by buying a 2-5 acre parcel then get upset when someone does the same thing by buying the parcel next to them.
Too true! That's why I bought 80 even though I logistically only needed 5. That way I can keep a couple acres of unmolested buffer between any "close" neighbors that may show up and the active portion which is in the dead center of my property.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2010, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Reputation: 8913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Too true! That's why I bought 80 even though I logistically only needed 5. That way I can keep a couple acres of unmolested buffer between any "close" neighbors that may show up and the active portion which is in the dead center of my property.
We live in the center of a 42 acre square with dense forest. So we can not see off of our property and nobody off of our land can see us. On my porch anything I can see I can shoot and be confident that it is on my land.

However I can hear folks at times.

To the North-West I can hear a dog at times when he gets to barking at his master's sheep.

Or a mile up the road I can hear our town's gunsmith when he is on his rifle range testing his guns. [Conversely whenever I shoot anything, the next time I see him he always asks which of my firearms it was and how well it worked.]

Kitty-corner from us on a 160-acre parcel that guy sometimes trains a pack of hounds, I can sometimes hear his hounds baying.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 3,729,466 times
Reputation: 3493
My uncle has a 100 acres and you better call before showing up because you just may find him cutting his fields on his tractor buck ass naked.

He can't stand clothes and the only time he wears them is when leaves his property.

I had to LMAO when I went to help him work on his shed and all he had on were tennis shoes and a nail bag.


busta
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,874 posts, read 28,669,930 times
Reputation: 8913
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
My uncle has a 100 acres and you better call before showing up because you just may find him cutting his fields on his tractor buck ass naked.

He can't stand clothes and the only time he wears them is when leaves his property.

I had to LMAO when I went to help him work on his shed and all he had on were tennis shoes and a nail bag.


busta
He sounds like my kind of guy
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top