U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,819,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Wasn't Mayberry based on Mt. Airy, NC, the town Andy Griffith grew up in?

Yes Joe, I believe you are correct. You are a very smart man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM

210 posts, read 357,031 times
We moved from Birmingham Alabama to a small rural town in NE pa called Mayfield. At 1 am on a sunday when we drove the rental truck into town there was a tire store on a corner that had a tire display out, right on the edge of the lot,( would have been stolen in broad daylight in Birmingham) electric candles in a lot of windows etc. Almost every neighbor came over within a week and welcomed us, the bank people and the grocery people now us by name, rabbits run all over day and night, and we have deer passing thru about 5-6 in the morning in a town of about 2k population. Not to mention the mailman brings the mail right to the box on the house. Now I grew up in northern VERY rural Hew Hampshire and after being in a southern city for 26 yrs This is our Mayberry!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM

4,052 posts, read 3,361,038 times
I have heard of the "intentional communities " being a somewhat new way of creating more neighborhoods with a purpose, the 'community" can be as simple as an agreed upon over 55 type of place opt it can be as focused as these types that are looking at the ideal place for the final years of life. It all depends on the amount of get along go along types you can get around you, most towns of any size are already mainstreamed through TV and long time friendships thereby outing those who are new in the area. As for the quintessential Mayberry like town I doubt seriously if any exist.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

5,039 posts, read 8,028,687 times
The sad reality is, the outsourcing of our manufacturing jobs has hurt many American small towns, because it was the nearby mills and factories that sustained the citizens for generations, who in turn supported the mom and pop business in the town, etc.

I see the decline everyday, living in a "quaint" small town in North Carolina, where the Mayberry life used to exist to a certain extent, 30 or more years ago.

These days, you surivive here either by commuting an hour or more away to a large city for employment, working at minimum wage jobs in retail or restaurants (oh yes, we have our Super Walmart now), living on government checks or pensions, or you move in with money you earned somewhere else.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:00 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,961,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I agree partly with Ceece in that we need to "make our own Mayberry" but I also believe there are areas of the US which are more conducive towards achieving that end than other areas. I know of small towns in Nebraska and also in Northern California (in the mountains) which foster the possibilities of which you speak.

I think "Mayberry" occurs almost always in a very small community, or a tightly knit sub-group within a larger local.
People can create a Mayberry. But one mistake can end it.
We had a small community in SoCal in the 70's. 80's and 90's. It was an old farming town in San Bernardino County.outside the city of San Bernardino. It was close to a "sphere of influence" but not quite.
It was great,we were at the foothills of the mnt's.Off of Old RT 66,(the map shows a stir of road called "Cajon Blvd" which is old Rt66)
Anyway, Everyone knew everyone and everyone watched out for everyone. We had our own Grange and community meetings We had 2 stores, 3 churches 2 school. We also had and "oversight comittee" (which I was a member of) The city neede our approval before they could anything to the community. Some may have heard of the place, it was called "Muscoy". The city looked at us as a slum, (which it wasn't), but that's what we wanted them to think.
Then in the 90's 1-2 owners died. Squatters moved into their houses and we couldn't get them out. So that was the begining of the end. Now the community is run down by illegal aliens.
But like your computer, you need to watch out for viruses.

I now live in Opie's(Ron Howard) home town. Duncan, OK.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-07-2010 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Here's 5 episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show" if anyone would like to get another look at old Mayberry.

Scroll down for more episodes

different episodes are added everyday, so some might want to save this site. NOTE: to the right of the page you'll find other classic shows, like "Gun Smoke"

http://www.tvland.com/shows/andy-griffith-show/full-episodes/opie-and-the-bully (broken link)

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-07-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM

68 posts, read 207,590 times
I,too, am looking for Mayberry. Bydand and LittleDolphin, where do you live? Might want to take a look. We currently live in New England in a small town, but it certainly isn't a Mayberry. Bydand, if you are somewhere in MI you must have cold, snowy winters--that would interest us. I'd like to Google your towns and get some stats on them. Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 AM

19,849 posts, read 17,926,126 times
The actress that played Thelma Lou moved to Mt. Airy and was robbed. Even Walnut Grove was kind of a Peyton Place.
My favorite TV town as probably that town in Newhart, the town in Vermont. Crazy characters but not much crime.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocutie View Post
I,too, am looking for Mayberry. Bydand and LittleDolphin, where do you live? Might want to take a look. We currently live in New England in a small town, but it certainly isn't a Mayberry. Bydand, if you are somewhere in MI you must have cold, snowy winters--that would interest us. I'd like to Google your towns and get some stats on them. Thanks
I'm also from NW Mi. Up by the little finger. Cadillac, Mi.in Wexford County.
I left in the late 60's so now it's alittle more modern but it can't get much bigger because there's lakes on all sides of it....kinda like an island.
Aeriel shots make it look much bigger than it actually is.

Cadillac, MI - Official Website

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-10-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM

68 posts, read 207,590 times
I think I saw a show on Discovery or some such channel that said in some town in the Upper Peninsula there were no cars allowed. People traveled by sleigh. I wish I could remember where I saw that or where it was. Does anyone know? I think it was on near Christmas and they were doing a special on towns that are quite Christmasy--like North Pole Alaska, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living