U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

15,592 posts, read 7,664,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
How big was the police force in Mayberry ?
Andy was the sheriff of the county. The Mayberry Police Dept. provided services within the city limits of Mayberry while the county sheriff (Andy) patrolled the unincorporated areas of the county. I don't remember how many officers the Mayberry Police Dept. had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM

791 posts, read 2,490,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
One year on our way down to the Busch Gardens in Virginia, we went the back way and came across a very small town, that I swear we went back in time to Mayberry - it was Short Pump, VA.
That must have been a long time ago. Short Pump Mall today is the biggest, most glamorous new shopping mall in the Richmond, VA area. It's near the junction of 2 expressways.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
I can't believe only ONE Ohio city made your list Urbanquest. And it's... CHAGRIN FALLS?!?! I suppose it comes pretty close. And it certainly LOOKS a bit lake Mayberry might.

Heck, I you could imagine Floyd opening his barbarshop right here:

But there are literally 100's of "Mayberry-types" in Ohio. Between the 6 or 7 large cities is a WHOOOOLE bunch of farmland. And it's all dotted with tiny little towns.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe only ONE Ohio city made your list Urbanquest. And it's... CHAGRIN FALLS?!?! I suppose it comes pretty close. And it certainly LOOKS a bit lake Mayberry might.

But there are literally 100's of "Mayberry-types" in Ohio. Between the 6 or 7 large cities is a WHOOOOLE bunch of farmland. And it's all dotted with tiny little towns.
I have a Brother who lives in Ashland, Oh. Ashland is a very small town, but not a 1 strip town like Mayberry was made out to be.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,449,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Hey, I live about 3 miles outside of town and that's Caldwell, Ohio in Noble County, moved here about 5 1/2 years ago and Caldwell is the county seat and I swear it reminds me of Mayberry, just a small town square that rolls up the sidewalks and turns out the lights at 6 PM every evening.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,553,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I don't mean MT AIRY, NC. I know about that. Does the mind set, the character, the whole 'we look out for each other' attitude that made that show such a beloved hit, does that exist anymore? My wife thinks I am naive to hope that maybe one day we will find our Mayberry. I hope she is wrong.
Sanbornville N.H.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,697,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
How big was the police force in Mayberry ?

Most of those towns you listed have a police force at least 10 times bigger than Mayberry's.

That tells me those cities you listed are way too big to resemble the fictional Mayberry.
It was two people. Barney and Andy.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,199,583 times
would love to live in mayberry,but i am living in an area where most of the nearby towns police depts consist of barney fifes

Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,903,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
...and in the case of an emergency would deputize such crack troopers like Gomer and Floyd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
would love to live in mayberry,but i am living in an area where most of the nearby towns police depts consist of barney fifes
That's a good thing...don't forget that Barney got the job done. It might have been in his own way, but he got it done. He'd nip it in the bud!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM

15,592 posts, read 7,664,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Like I said, they were the county Sheriff's department.

The actual city police department was rarely mentioned in the episodes, but if I remember right there was a chief of police, 4 patrol officers, 2 detectives and one crime lab technician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living