U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM

9,324 posts, read 8,058,022 times

Advertisements

I always get a kick out of people who didn't live in the 50's say "Mayberry" didn't exist. Sure it did, just like Beaver Cleaver's town of "Mayfield" existed. They didn't have to make it up because that was small town America in the 50's in many parts of the USA. I grew up in such a town. West Bend, Wi. Mom sent us outside to play in the summer and really didn't know where we were but just be back by lunch time. We knew it was lunch time because the noon whistle blew all over town. We would go to the nearby park and go swimming, fishing or played baseball. Or we might be in the local woods playing "army" or building a fort. We walked to school, even during high school. I packed a bag lunch. There was very little crime. No drugs. Most kids went to church. None of my friends had divorced parents, and out of 450 kids in my high school class, only one girl got pregnant.

If you're looking for modern day "Mayberry", my guess is the closest you're going to find is some small town in Arkansas, Wis. or Minn. The only one I know that looks like it today is Mount Ida, Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM

675 posts, read 1,261,007 times
Hey there. I live about an hour south of West Bend, in Summit, WI.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,254,113 times
In my opinion, there are no Mayberry's left because there are no Andy Griffiths left. All the places that were like Mayberry are now filled with Barney Fifes who took over and ruined the town when Andy retired.

That is my perspective, anyway (encapsulated in the little political story told in the link above). Takes more than a quaint, charming little town to ever be like Mayberry was.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,030,645 times
Mayberry was all about the time period in which it took place. The towns are still standing, but the times are long gone...

Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjoe View Post
i don't mean mt airy, nc. I know about that. Does the mind set, the character, the whole 'we look out for each other' attitude that made that show such a beloved hit, does that exist anymore? My wife thinks i am naive to hope that maybe one day we will find our mayberry. I hope she is wrong.

it definitely exists in four oaks, nc...population of about 10,000 - located alongside i-95.......pretty close to mayberry for sure.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM

3,610 posts, read 6,339,462 times
new hamsphire plenty of mayberry-ish towns, esp the farther north u get

Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM

14,328 posts, read 19,766,034 times
Default North Lake, WI

I was in North Lake, WI a couple of years ago, and it felt this way. People were all very nice and all knew each other. It felt like Mayberry.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:26 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,337,511 times
I knew you were talking about Muscoy even before you revealed it. I'm a San Bernardino kid, born and raised... and left the second I was old enough to go out on my own.

This just goes to show, happiness is within and how you look at things. As early as the early 80s, Muscoy was known to be a den of bikers, drug runners, hicks, theives, etc. It was the despised area of a despised area. Worst of the worst. Yet, you were living the "Mayberry life" there in your mind, eh? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
People can create a Mayberry. But one mistake can end it.
We had a small community in SoCal in the 70's. 80's and 90's. It was an old farming town in San Bernardino County.outside the city of San Bernardino. It was close to a "sphere of influence" but not quite.
It was great,we were at the foothills of the mnt's.Off of Old RT 66,(the map shows a stir of road called "Cajon Blvd" which is old Rt66)
Anyway, Everyone knew everyone and everyone watched out for everyone. We had our own Grange and community meetings We had 2 stores, 3 churches 2 school. We also had and "oversight comittee" (which I was a member of) The city neede our approval before they could anything to the community. Some may have heard of the place, it was called "Muscoy". The city looked at us as a slum, (which it wasn't), but that's what we wanted them to think.
Then in the 90's 1-2 owners died. Squatters moved into their houses and we couldn't get them out. So that was the begining of the end. Now the community is run down by illegal aliens.
But like your computer, you need to watch out for viruses.

I now live in Opie's(Ron Howard) home town. Duncan, OK.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I knew you were talking about Muscoy even before you revealed it. I'm a San Bernardino kid, born and raised... and left the second I was old enough to go out on my own.

This just goes to show, happiness is within and how you look at things. As early as the early 80s, Muscoy was known to be a den of bikers, drug runners, hicks, theives, etc. It was the despised area of a despised area. Worst of the worst. Yet, you were living the "Mayberry life" there in your mind, eh? Wow.
The(slum) area your talking about is in the NE section of Muscoy along the tracks and near the wash. (1st, 2nd streets ect)
I lived closer to Highland Ave, on Macy St. ( between Porter-Mesa)

In 1989, there was a train derailment in Muscoy, "Disaster on Duffy St" It wiped out a block of houses along with 2 crack houses.
"Disaster on Duffy St" (it can be found online.)San Bernardino train disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Old Highland Ave, nolonger exsists. It's now, I-215 extention from I-30 to Upland)
I left SoCal just before it was completed.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 11-08-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM

15,592 posts, read 7,664,347 times
Did Andy carry handcuffs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living