Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Did Andy carry handcuffs?
Yes, but only for Aunt Bee to use on Barney in the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 04:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
That isn't even funny.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
That isn't even funny.
Ditto.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Mayberry. :::sigh::: It's the longing of my heart to find a community like that. While I believe there are remnants of Mayberry-esque living out there in little nooks and crannies of the country, I don't think getting the whole package is available. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread (except for imbecilic, Beavis and Butthead-type posts like the one three above this one) and agree with many of the sentiments and reasons already given. Below are some of my personal thoughts.

1. Government is too big and invasive. Freedoms and liberties are being restricted and taken away. Parents no longer have exclusive rights to raise their own children. Local governments are being invaded by Big government and no longer allowed to decide what's best for their town. That used to be decided by the townspeople themselves. No more.

2. People are too self-entitled, greedy, self-absorbed and addicted to entertainment, gadgets and the 'anything goes' mentality. People rebel against any kind of structure and the traditional societal norms. Other people have become like obstacles in video games that they have to plow through, or avoid, in order to do what they want to do. Respect and common courtesy are antiquated. People don't know how to be content. They want more, bigger, better and faster. They're slaves to their own greed and desires.

3. Far, far, far too many city people move to country and small town places saying they want that lifestyle but refuse to blend in. They bring their big city mentality with them and force their views on everyone else. They begin to sue for "their rights." They change property values and taxes for the locals. This changes the whole economy and makes buying a house virtually impossible for most people anymore. (Look at what celebrities and Californians did to Montana.) They infect the town, and the people, and then, when they get tired of it, they move out, leaving a trail of destruction and stink behind for everyone else to deal with. (Much like foreigners who move to the US do.) These are people who just want to play pretend and have no interest in the locals or their way of life.

I could go on and on and on and on....

Old 11-13-2011, 02:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Mayberry. :::sigh:::

1. Government is too big and invasive. ...

2. People are too self-entitled, greedy, self-absorbed and addicted to entertainment, gadgets and the 'anything goes' mentality. ...

3. Far, far, far too many city people move to country and small town places saying they want that lifestyle but refuse to blend in. ... They change property values and taxes for the locals. ...(I'm being taxed off my 3rd farm... that is SAD and very time consuming to build barns, fences, water systems, orchards, soils...) I'm too old to 'try again' Taxes went from $2/ day to $33 / day ($12,000 / yr)... been unemployed / early retired for 6 yrs... i.e. NO PAY CHECK... tax assessor has no latitude for 'early retirees', only over age 65 and under $28,000 / yr (that part is no problem!!)
I could go on and on and on and on....

High Speed internet would be a plus (Rather than only a 'Pay-by-the-byte' Dial-up connection)

It is a conspiracy to get everyone to move to town...

Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 PM

854 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Yes, but only for Aunt Bee to use on Barney in the bedroom.
I think it's funny and probably true. And don't forget about Gomer and Goober. They were all consenting and single adults. When Aunt Bea let that beehive hairdo down at night, look out!!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 AM

167 posts, read 278,198 times
Come on its TV; you know acting, pretend, escape from reality comedy sitcom from the 50"s. I live in a small rural town pop. 300 and only some of that exists. But instaed of the old town drunks you have the town druggies. Instead of the ol poor working hard to barely get by, you have the young poor hardly working to qualify for government assistance. All in all it is so much better then that high speed high stress city slicker livin where you are.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4143 View Post
Come on its TV; you know acting, pretend, escape from reality comedy sitcom from the 50"s. I live in a small rural town pop. 300 and only some of that exists. But instaed of the old town drunks you have the town druggies. Instead of the ol poor working hard to barely get by, you have the young poor hardly working to qualify for government assistance. All in all it is so much better then that high speed high stress city slicker livin where you are.
I don't think anyone here is looking for an exact replica of the TV show, so, I think your first sentence is pretty unfair. People are looking for the a combination of elements behind the idea of Mayberry. They want to find a place --

- where traditional family values are still lived out. Respect, common courtesy, love for your neighbor, down home hospitality, etc.,
- where stores on closed on Sunday and people fellowshipped at church.
- where you can walk the streets at night without fear because crime is low.
- where neighbors helped watch out over your kids and property because of the spirit of community
- where people shopped locally to support their community's businesses. Not because it's "green" or because it's the "politically correct" thing to do, but because their friends and neighbors own those businesses.
- where the town government is small and run by the people instead of the people being run by the government.
- where there are no Targets, WalMarts, CostCos, or any other superstores or strip malls.
- a place that's quiet and scenic and affordable.

This list goes on and on...

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that all small, rural towns are like this. Your town of 300 certainly isn't. Your town druggies would be dealt with and not tolerated. They wouldn't be allowed to continue what they do and be a black stain on the town. The young, poor people who have no desire to get off welfare wouldn't be allowed to stay on welfare. They'd be cut off to give them the kick in the butt they need to restart their lives. But, they'd also be encouraged and helped by friends and neighbors who would make them a meal or watch the kids while they go job hunting. That's the help they need and would get if your town of 300 were more like Mayberry. Your town may not qualify as being Mayberry-esque, but they do exist to some extent. (The extent at which the state and federal governments allow them to.)

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I don't think anyone here is looking for an exact replica of the TV show, so, I think your first sentence is pretty unfair. People are looking for the a combination of elements behind the idea of Mayberry. They want to find a place --

- where traditional family values are still lived out. Respect, common courtesy, love for your neighbor, down home hospitality, etc.,
- where stores on closed on Sunday and people fellowshipped at church.
- where you can walk the streets at night without fear because crime is low.
- where neighbors helped watch out over your kids and property because of the spirit of community
- where people shopped locally to support their community's businesses. Not because it's "green" or because it's the "politically correct" thing to do, but because their friends and neighbors own those businesses.
- where the town government is small and run by the people instead of the people being run by the government.
- where there are no Targets, WalMarts, CostCos, or any other superstores or strip malls.
- a place that's quiet and scenic and affordable.

This list goes on and on...

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that all small, rural towns are like this. Your town of 300 certainly isn't. Your town druggies would be dealt with and not tolerated. They wouldn't be allowed to continue what they do and be a black stain on the town. The young, poor people who have no desire to get off welfare wouldn't be allowed to stay on welfare. They'd be cut off to give them the kick in the butt they need to restart their lives.
Quote:
But, they'd also be encouraged and helped by friends and neighbors who would make them a meal or watch the kids while they go job hunting. That's the help they need and would get if your town of 300 were more like Mayberry. Your town may not qualify as being Mayberry-esque, but they do exist to some extent. (The extent at which the state and federal governments allow them to.)
Kinda like on the show,"Desperate Housewives".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living