U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,658,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A bit defensive ?

Course, I imagine if one plowed with an automatic reset plow in southern MO, you could pull many bottoms.
Ahh Marmac got ya this time, Southeast Missouri from Popular Bluff to the river is great farmland.....and you being the godfather of farms should know this......(you got me last time, cause said southwest and south central)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 PM

823 posts, read 1,324,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Low assesments
brother in law getting paving contract 50% above paving going rate
Assets "diverted" from estates in local probate court(a big one)
bogus "conservation" easements worth hundreds of thousands
medicare frauds in nursing homes built by "good old boys"
overnight re-zoning to keep out competition
blackball of "troublesome" working class men(very effective)
control of boards in local banks with stealing from old widows they were "looking out for"
LEO harrasing "troublemakers" out of town
and many more
I think you got your tv shows mixed up. This is Mayberry, not Hazard County with Boss Hawg. Thanks for the 80s but we're past that.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,057,023 times
Yes, I think I found Mayberry. This thread got me thinking about what real town, would be most like Mayberry, and I think I found the best match.

First, Mayberry is a County Seat. So that means that not only does it have to be a small town, but the County has to be sparsely populated as well. The best match for that would be Loving County, Texas, Population: 67. And the County Seat is, Mentone.

And the best part: "Mentone was the home of the first elected female sheriff in Texas, Edna Reed Claton Dewees. Dewees was appointed to the job in January 1945, then won an election to continue in the office through 1947. She never carried a firearm, and reported only two arrests during her entire term."

I just need a little more research to find out if she had a deputy named Barney Fife.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM

507 posts, read 779,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I think you got your tv shows mixed up. This is Mayberry, not Hazard County with Boss Hawg. Thanks for the 80s but we're past that.
Real town in 90"s

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM

7,939 posts, read 16,463,032 times
And in the 00s. People really aren't too different wherever you go, and you'll find the same kind of corruption in big city and small town both.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM

507 posts, read 779,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And in the 00s. People really aren't too different wherever you go, and you'll find the same kind of corruption in big city and small town both.
Exactly, which is why there is no Mayberry folks.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM

17,946 posts, read 21,813,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The unlocked doors era has passed.

Nearly every town, even " Mayberry", has public roads/highways .

You may know every single resident of your " Mayberry", but if you don't know everyone who might drive through " Mayberry" in the middle of the night, it is a good idea to lock the doors at night.
I get a real charge out of those that live in a particular town, who post on forums concerning crime in their towns, bragging about how in their city there's still no need to lock your doors and you can still leave the keys in the car.

These posters would never stop to think that there may be gang leaders/criminals from the big cities poring over these forums looking for easier pickings and are everso grateful for the info.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I get a real charge out of those that live in a particular town, who post on forums concerning crime in their towns, bragging about how in their city there's still no need to lock your doors and you can still leave the keys in the car.

These posters would never stop to think that there may be gang leaders/criminals from the big cities poring over these forums looking for easier pickings and are everso grateful for the info.
So you think we should take our keys out of the cars?

What about all the cars left running in the grocerystore parking lots? All winter long at least half the cars at the grocery store are left running. Are you suggesting that they should turn off their cars and remove the keys?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 PM

17,946 posts, read 21,813,673 times
I learned my lesson years ago at age 16, in Rochester, MN.

On a freezing day in winter, I parked out front of a Chevy dealer to run in and buy a part for my car. It wasn't but a few minutes, I turned around and the car was gone!

1 block away stood the city courthouse and jail, just my luck a prisoner had just escaped, saw my vehicle, jumped in, got 5 blocks away,
ran a red light, and was broadsided by two cars. Being a total loss, I had one tough job trying to collect from the insurance company.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
In some places you can get arrested for leaving an unattended running car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living