Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,163 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I wonder if it ever existed.

Other times, I think it was a story told by people who have figured out how to see the best in others no matter what might suggest otherwise, who do see the bad along with the good, but make the effort to stay on the sunny side of life as much as possible, and who are hoping that if enough others do the same, then Mayberry might be a reality someday. Wouldn't be the worst thing if Mayberry just turned out to be a state of mind, instead of an actual place.

It probably takes a whole lot more give and take to create a Mayberry than most people are willing to put into it today, given the tension and difficult times. But I'd still hold out that you might find it - what do you have to lose in looking for such a place that would be your Mayberry? Might be fun looking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I don't mean MT AIRY, NC. I know about that. Does the mind set, the character, the whole 'we look out for each other' attitude that made that show such a beloved hit, does that exist anymore? My wife thinks I am naive to hope that maybe one day we will find our Mayberry. I hope she is wrong.
Listen, I hate to break the news to you, but the stuff on TV sitcoms is fiction. That means it is made up. Now I like the Andy Griffith Show as much, probably more, than most people who visit city-data because it is still funnier than any modern sitcom and there's no cussing and no dirty jokes. Nevertheless, it is fiction. People do not rush into the jail with armloads of food. In no town does the town drunk come and go as he pleases. There are still small towns with strong family and community values, but they are weakening, and I'm fixing to tell you why. But first, let me tell you why small towns were a little bit like Mayberry.

One, the lack of media: In the Fifties and early Sixties in rural America, you could only get one or two TV channels, if that. You had one theater in a small town, maybe. The TV and the movie house did not show filth, so children did not learn filth at an early age.

Two, the role of the church: Every small town had one, two or more active Christian churches, and almost everybody in town went to church. Even children who didn't pay close attention got a little bit of instruction in spiritual values.

Three, the public school system wasn't bogged down in paperwork and fear of lawsuits. Small-town school teachers and administrators were not afraid to give children a paddling or even a whipping when needed. And when children got home, they got another whipping from dad.

Four, most families had two parents and they were of the opposite sex.

Five, the people in small-town America in those days were likely born in or near their small town, as their parents were, and they grew up there. The bonds between neighbors were strong because they were probably distantly related.

Nowadays, the mass media is everywhere. You cannot escape cable tV, satellite TV or the internet. Well, you can choose not to have them, but your neighbors are likely going to choose to bring that filth into their homes and contaminate their children, who will take it out on you. That's why I hear rap music thumping out of car windows even at 2 a.m. in little ole Rolla, MO.

Churches have lost membership and stature in the communities, for many reasons. I think one reason is they have become too much like civic clubs, so there's really no reason to attend them. Probably the biggest reason, though, is that given the choice of imitating Christ or imitating the people on modern television, young people choose the latter.

Public schools have dumbed-down the curriculum, have been told by parents not to discipline their children and no longer provide a quality education.

Nowadays, families are all screwed up. It is hard to figure out who is the dad and the mom there are so many parents and step-parents.

The society is mobile and small-towners are going hither and yon. They go to the cities to shop, so small downtowns that used to be crowded on Saturday nights are empty because the storefronts all have For Rent or For Sale signs on them. People move in and out of small towns, so they never have a real sense of rootedness.

I do not understand city slickers who say they are looking for a Mayberry type town, but they do not want a town without access to media. They do not want a town where churches are strong and active. They do not support corporal punishment in schools. They see nothing wrong with marriage, divorce, remarriage, divorce, etc. Once they move to "Mayberry" they won't go to Floyd the barber; they will drive to the nearest city to get a style at a salon. They won't take anything to Emmitt the fix-it man, they will throw away what doesn't work and drive to the city to do some serious shopping at the mall.

You can't have Mayberry any longer, my friend, because no one under 30 or even 40 really wants Mayberry.

That's just my cranky old hillbilly opnion. Many others, perhaps most, will disagree.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
That's just my cranky old hillbilly opnion. Many others, perhaps most, will disagree.
Elements of truth to all of it, my friend. Technology has its place but its taken over places that used to be occupied by parents and teachers and our youth are the worse for it.

Music that used to be soothing and inspiring has become racous, nasty and enraging.

I could go on but you know as well as I whereof I speak.

Does Mayberry still exist? Doubtful, but I think you can still come closer to it here in middle-America than anywhere else left in this nation.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
My wife thinks I am naive to hope that maybe one day we will find our Mayberry. I hope she is wrong.
Yes, it exists...sort of. I live in a very nice suburb of Boston that is Mayberry-esque. People are pretty friendly, crime is nonexistent, and it is scenic beyond words. Kids everywhere with fun outdoor activities around, charming downtown area with summer concerts. It is not urbane or sophisticated (catch the train into downtown Boston for that), but it nice, nice, nice. The quality of life is simply unsurpassed.

But it is not cheap -- housing costs are high (in part because it is such an extremely desirable place to live). You don't have to be be rich to live here, but definitely upper middle class. In that way it is not Mayberry - Andy and Barney Fife could not afford to live here. Aunt Bee could...if her late husband had of been a finance guy with Fidelity Investments or a successful lawyer.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Ummm What's it mean when Bassfisherman from California agree's with OzarkBoy????

Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ummm What's it mean when Bassfisherman from California agree's with OzarkBoy????
You're turning into a cranky old hillbilly and you haven't even moved here yet. Same thing happened to Curmudgeon. By the way, have you noticed Curm's anti-transplant tendencies lately? He's no where near as bad as me--yet--but look out, he may try to bar the door before you get here!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Quote:
You're turning into a cranky old hillbilly and you haven't even moved here yet. Same thing happened to Curmudgeon. By the way, have you noticed Curm's anti-transplant tendencies lately? He's no where near as bad as me--yet--but look out, he may try to bar the door before you get here!
LOL yeah Ol Curm is pretty anti-transplant ain't he, kinda like the guy who quits smoking, then tells everyone how much he can't stand the smoke...Or my Dad, who moved to Oregon, and now complains about Californian's messing it up, as he collects his State of California Pension Check.....I plan on doing it like my Dad, you see my Mom was school Teacher, he picks her up the last day of school and heads for Oregon, she says"aren't we even going back home" He say "nope, nothing there, Movers already left and the house is sold" He couldn't wait to get out of Richmond, California...........

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,868 times
Yes, I think it's possible; however, I would bet the population of those small towns is homogenous.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Yes, I think it's possible; however, I would bet the population of those small towns is homogenous.
Nah! Someone's gotta pluck the chickens!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
As Anthony DiNozzo says on NCIS, "Working on it, Boss!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living