Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
YOU assume a lot about people you don't know.
Maybe you need to reread (that means read again) your high handed post. My assumption is based on your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Maybe you need to reread (that means read again) your high handed post. My assumption is based on your post.
Maybe you should just husk some corn.

What a nasty, liberal(that means not conservative) city slicker I must be.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Gee, thanks O boy for providing me with the meaning of fiction. That 6th grade edge-u-cation really comes in handy. BTW, since the show was loosely based on Andy Griffiths' childhood in Mt Airy, NC., I'm certain some aspects of it are non-fiction (that means it is not made up).

Your five points about what made rural towns a little like Mayberry are not exclusive to small, southern towns. Those traits existed in many NY neighborhoods in the 50's and 60's.

I don't know about other "city slickers", but everything you say we won't do or don't want, I already do and want. Although I am north of 40 (that means over 40), I know many younger people who are tired of the fast pace and pressure of big city life(and even big suburb life), and are looking for more quality, less quantity.

I would even admit that in my Mayberry, we would welcome a crabby know it all like you. We need someone to make fun of!!!
I think you should stay in New York where you are like everyone else. If you come to small-town Missouri with this kind of attitude, you will not fit in.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should just husk some corn.

What a nasty, liberal(that means not conservative) city slicker I must be.
What is it about husking corn that you slickers find so amusing? I either grow corn in my garden (didn't this year, though) or I buy ears in the shuck at the farmer's market or at the grocery story. I shuck or husk a lot of corn every summer. Sometimes I put it on the grill and shuck it later. Delicious.

I'll laugh at NYJoe next weekend when I shuck or husk fresh corn again and then enjoy the flavor. I guess you can open a can or a package of frozen corn. That must be the city way, because apparently slickers wouldn't be caught dead husking corn.

You are proving exactly why I don't like most city slickers who move to small towns. You don't add a doggone thing to the community life. We just don't need you.

Last edited by ozarksboy; 07-19-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Of course this era has passed, that's the point I was tryin to make. But where I grew up, when I grew up, they (locks) were not used. And you are also correct, the only real trouble came from outta town.
That was most of america until the 60's. That is why I thnik 1968 was the year the america many knew dies. Iy became more and more slf absorned and drugs got worse. I live in a town where we do not lock anything unless away. But it doesn't take much of a trip t see the drug areas and often hearign of a rural Meth lab busted.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Yes, I do think each of us can find our personal Mayberry if we seek it..and sure, it's a tad different than 1950 America, but close enough to be warm and comfortable.

In my little town, the neighborhood policeman came over to our house to help us free our dog from the bedroom when I accidently locked him in there...we have dinner with our neighbors on a frequent basis, we cat-sit for our neighbors, when I had to fly out of state when my mother in law died, two neighbors offered to drive me to the airport and a third dog-sat for us..we have a real old-fashioned 4th of July parade and a local realtor gives away ice cream, friends stop off with extra produce, I get free-range eggs from my friend's boss who raises chickens, kids ride their bikes all over town and say hello to us, even though they don't know us...I could go on, but you get the picture.

And we weren't born or raised here, we're newcomers, only been here 7 years. But we got involved in the community and the community welcomed us warmly.

Be a good neighbor and you'll have good neighbors, we've found. And wave at every body, you probably know them. If not, everyone will think you're friendly.

Mayberry, yeah, it's still alive in America. We found ours, bet you'll find yours too.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
-----I live in a town where we don't lock anything----

Same thing my cousin said.

Her and her teen son and teen daughter were slaughtered ( sledgehammered,rape involved, all 3 throats cut ) when their unlocked house was entered by 2 men who were looking to get gas money late at night.

Why did they pick her house ?

When captured in Minneapolis ( 140 miles from the scene ) they stated cuz it was unlocked.

The first 2 houses they went to in the middle of the night were locked.

Yup, the news media proclaimed how rare that was.

Small consolation for her mother, sisters, brothers, and friends.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
And we weren't born or raised here, we're newcomers, only been here 7 years. But we got involved in the community and the community welcomed us warmly.
Perhaps you, a former city slicker turned small towner, can explain to me, a backwoods hillbilly turned small-towner, why slickers consider "shuck some corn" or "husk some corn" an insult. It's a fact of life in the summer time around here, hardly something to use as an insult. Do slickers not understand where corn comes from? And that the husk must be shucked to eat it? Please enlighten a dumb ole country boy.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default Irony

Quote:
Gee, thanks O boy for providing me with the meaning of fiction. That 6th grade edge-u-cation really comes in handy. BTW, since the show was loosely based on Andy Griffiths' childhood in Mt Airy, NC., I'm certain some aspects of it are non-fiction (that means it is not made up).

Your five points about what made rural towns a little like Mayberry are not exclusive to small, southern towns. Those traits existed in many NY neighborhoods in the 50's and 60's.

I don't know about other "city slickers", but everything you say we won't do or don't want, I already do and want. Although I am north of 40 (that means over 40), I know many younger people who are tired of the fast pace and pressure of big city life(and even big suburb life), and are looking for more quality, less quantity.

I would even admit that in my Mayberry, we would welcome a crabby know it all like you. We need someone to make fun of!!!
Ah, so much irony in this thread. New York Joe is in effect endorsing small-town values, is regretting that they have to a great extent gone away, and he gets slammed for it, not by big city folks, but by those whose values he is endorsing. But Joe, you are partly (largely?) to blame for this because your post quoted above has a hard edge to it, a hostile edge, an insulting edge, even though most of the points (if you take away the edge) are correct. This insulting hostility is very un-Mayberry-like! (Thick irony!)

Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Perhaps you, a former city slicker turned small towner, can explain to me, a backwoods hillbilly turned small-towner, why slickers consider "shuck some corn" or "husk some corn" an insult. It's a fact of life in the summer time around here, hardly something to use as an insult. Do slickers not understand where corn comes from? And that the husk must be shucked to eat it? Please enlighten a dumb ole country boy.
Why you Small Town-Backwoods Hillbilly, Did you not know that corn, both the yellow and white varietys comes in both cans and plastic bags.....after opening and placing in suitable container, one should microwave until soft and mushy..
Only a hillbilly or a fisherman would ever think of soaking this thing called a husk and placing on grill, (oh my god that's charcoal your cooking with) until golden and crisp......
.............Get with the Times Man....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living