U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

16,162 posts, read 21,105,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
When will the suburbs knock out all of the rural areas? There are so many illegal and legal immigrants coming in here each here. That means more apartments and little fake communities will be built and more people will move rural to try and escape this. How long until the whole rural America lifestyle disapears?

Not sure why, but this has been a constant fear of mine for my whole life. I've always hated when I hear or see about new apartments being built out in rural areas or new suburbs being created. It's like this thing that is in my mind 24/7.
Who employs these illegals, Meat Packing Plants, Chicken Processors?
If you deport 100 there will be 100 more unless we force the employers to pay a livable wage to American employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,963,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The condition of the average "wage slave" is largely self inflicted. With a reasonable lifestyle and reasonable expectations, it's not that hard to live on what most folks would consider "unliveable wages." We (modern society) are economic gluttons, who are slaves to our lifestyles.

(note: I'm not talking about you in particular or anyone else in particular... I'm just saying on average and as a whole)
After being self empoyed for 19 years, I learned that I could live any amount nessesary.
I lost my business and then was caught in the middle of a fraud scam from ID theft. I lost all I had, including credit and bank accounts. For several years I lived month to month, day by day. Now that's where you learn how to budget money After all my bills were paid I learned to live on less than 300.00 a month. It wasn't easy, but I did.,,for 3 year is. (and it was just recent, not decades ago)

Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM

16,162 posts, read 21,105,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
After being self empoyed for 19 years, I learned that I could live any amount nessesary.
I lost my business and then was caught in the middle of a fraud scam from ID theft. I lost all I had, including credit and bank accounts. For several years I lived month to month, day by day. Now that's where you learn how to budget money After all my bills were paid I learned to live on less than 300.00 a month. It wasn't easy, but I did.,,for 3 year is. (and it was just recent, not decades ago)
So we should do away with the Minimum Wage, Social Security and Medicare and let Americans work 60 hours a week until they die. That way we could compete with North Korean Slave Labor

Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So we should do away with the Minimum Wage, Social Security and Medicare and let Americans work 60 hours a week until they die. That way we could compete with North Korean Slave Labor
Is that a question?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,374,342 times
If you do away with SS and Medicare you find more homeless and even more houses on an already depressed housing market. IL Minimum Wage is $8.50 but it doesn't make any difference because the grocers and the gas stations, the hardware and lumber companies, and services raise prices to block any savings or even insurance for the Minimum wage earner. We have a grocer who employs mainly uneducated, works them like pack mules on few hours with no breaks, or give them 12 hour shifts with one half-hour break. They are forced to work off the clock with no pay/ Most of these folks can't afford a $300.00 apartment and with the economy they can't find another job. .It is one of the downsides of living 50 miles from nowhere.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you do away with SS and Medicare you find more homeless and even more houses on an already depressed housing market. IL Minimum Wage is $8.50 but it doesn't make any difference because the grocers and the gas stations, the hardware and lumber companies, and services raise prices to block any savings or even insurance for the Minimum wage earner.
Quote:
We have a grocer who employs mainly uneducated, works them like pack mules on few hours with no breaks, or give them 12 hour shifts with one half-hour break. They are forced to work off the clock with no pay/ Most of these folks can't afford a $300.00 apartment and with the economy they can't find another job
. .It is one of the downsides of living 50 miles from nowhere.
That's "exploitation and Black mail"....I know it goes on across the country.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,471,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Hunter View Post
You are right about Southern IL changing...I have lived here all the while watching it change and I can tell you...it's been a change for the worst....I don't know how Chicago has anyone left in it as it seems their major export is people and 90% of them end up down here with their mouths wide open,their eyes blinded and their ears closed.

It's really sad to see an area you've loved taken over by people you can't stand to be around and who want to bring their ways(including the grand kids who bring their crime ridden,scumbag ways with them...look at the news for Sesser a few months back.Chicago transplants were responsible for that) with them when they come..

http://www.thesouthern.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html
I feel your anger. I'm in a "small city" and can't stand to be around half the people here. So, I'm pretty private (and love it).

You must feel violated (sorry for such a strong term), considering the unwelcomed (understatement) invasion.

There are ways to keep out undesirables, but they are illegal/immoral/harmful - and not worth the ultimate consequences, imho.

However, there will always be small towns without the "scumbag" element - simply because they use means to keep them out. Why have certain towns remained prominently a certain ethnicity or whatever for so many years? They have "ways". But I surely don't suggest them.

Yes, there will always be small towns.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,865,623 times
Small towns outside of metro areas may be at risk, but rural America far outweighs (in available land) the urban area, at least as far as I can see. The rural area I live in is perfectly safe, no chance of getting built up in my lifetime.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 PM

7,941 posts, read 16,467,597 times
It really is a hard balance to keep a small town both small and thriving. You do need some industry, agricultural processing, or commercial/transportation hub that will bring in enough jobs to keep the area stable and have a hope of retaining some of the best and brightest kids from the school district who would otherwise flee to the big city after high school or college. If any of the Illinois/central Mississippi River folks have ever driven through Cairo, IL, then there's the classic example of a onetime prosperous small town that has utterly and possibly fatally fallen apart.

But at the same time, you don't want to be too prosperous or be located in too scenic of an area and creat conditions that will draw too much growth in a direction not consistent with the town's original values.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
Quite safe in areas of our county to the west of me.

We have Green Acres program here to help farmers with land taxes.
Basically, if you meet the agriculture criteria, your land is taxed on what it would sell for as farmland rather than what some developer would be willing to pay.

I went to the county meeting and farmers a few miles west were complaining why it ( Green Acres) doesn't benefit them.

The answer was the value of their land was higher for farming than for developing.

This was due to the fact that area has excellent soil and is out of commuting distance of the biggest town/city in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living