Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM

185 posts, read 399,879 times

Advertisements

When will the suburbs knock out all of the rural areas? There are so many illegal and legal immigrants coming in here each here. That means more apartments and little fake communities will be built and more people will move rural to try and escape this. How long until the whole rural America lifestyle disapears?

Not sure why, but this has been a constant fear of mine for my whole life. I've always hated when I hear or see about new apartments being built out in rural areas or new suburbs being created. It's like this thing that is in my mind 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,103 times
What I see amongst other things, is Big City Folks go to Small towns to get away from whats being created there.

Shortly after arriving they want to start changing the small town so it has all the nice things in the Big City they just left.

Some also bring with them their Hurried Up Life Style and Big City Attitude which abraids the Locals.

Some have Considerable Money so they can have their way No Matter What.

As time goes by and more Big City folk come to the small towns, they take on a different look and feel.

As more time goes by... Small towns are no longer the Small Towns we all loved.

I like to refer to Mayberry when I think of Small Town USA.

I just wish there was a way to find it, and preserve it, but I am beggining to doubt that is even a possibility anymore.

I live in one of these converted Small Towns .......

Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Actually if you look right here on City-Data, you'll see alot of small towns have actually lost population, as the kids get out of High School and leave the town to go make a life for themselves.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Although I live in San Diego at the moment, I can relate to you. I grew up in rural Southern Illinois. I go back to visit sometimes and it's changed so much. There's so many wana-be mansions all over, tons of new apartment buidlings where heavy woods use to be. Small mom and pop stores ran out of business. What use to be a nice 1500 person town is now taken over by the near by university and is becoming one big suburb of the near by college town. Makes me so angry... but there's nothing that can be done.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Actually if you look right here on City-Data, you'll see alot of small towns have actually lost population, as the kids get out of High School and leave the town to go make a life for themselves.
I'm talking more the suburbs over major cities that keep growing and cause the rural areas to disapear. Take DC have instance, it's almost taken over half of VA and it will keep spreading till there's nothing left.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:

Exactly right. And a few years down the road, here's what happens: If you just look around Mercer, Crawford, Franklin, Arnstrong, etc., counties of NW PA, you will see that the small towns are dead as soon as the retirees are dead. It's the retirees with their retirements and pensions that are propping up what's left of their small communities. When they pass away, their money goes to children out of state, the house is sold for $15k to $28k as a rental, and the downward spiral accelerates.

And those kids are right to leave. They can't do anything there except keep the census count up. There are no jobs that pay well in small isolated rural areas. When those places lost the their union-scale manufacturing jobs, it was the beginning of the end. If small towns get yuppies to move there, they ought to be glad. Most small towns are rotting away and homes and the old downtown disappear from neglect or arson. If the drug gangs move in, then your town is history.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Just noticed your name, I also live in CA and get out for bass a couple times a week. Read some more of your posts, looking to move out of CA as well, Southern Misouri? Grew up in Southern Illinois not too far away...Escape our $42.50 permits plus $12 for a two pole stamp here in CA. Not too mention I have to pay $8 for a day permit at every lake down here and they open at 6 close at 8.... I guess this is getting off topic. Just a little bit of CA anger...

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I really do not see rural areas diassappearing completely.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:35 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Take a drive from one coast to the other. We're not running out of land.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
For some reason, small towns work well in VT. Heck, the capital is only 4500 people! There are small towns all over the state, and each one has a general store where you can buy anything from bait to a $100 bottle of wine. Chain stores are very, very rare there, and local businesses are strongly supported. Too bad it's A) Rather expensive, and B) Too cold for better than half the year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living