U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM

121 posts, read 310,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Dogs that consistantly bark are owned by rude,inconsiderate people.

Those type of dog owners can be found living in both the city and rural.
Could be. I've never had neighbors with dogs that bark all the time in either the city or rural.

I do get dog barks occasionally around here, but it really isn't a big problem. Both because it isn't all the time, and it's quite a ways away. The sound carries better than in the city so I can hear it, but it's not loud enough to wake me up at night or be obnoxious.

Just last night I heard a dog barking from the direction of my back yard. It made me wonder because my nearest neighbor in that direction is two miles away. I thought it might be a coyote but it didn't quite sound like a coyote. Maybe the sound was carrying extra far last night, unless one of my neighbors' dogs came to visit. That would be highly unusual.

In any case, I prefer hearing dogs or cows, or even roosters over hearing the neighbor lady yell at her kids. I guess that could happen in both places as well, but I've never heard it since I moved out of the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,646,155 times
Cool A city girl living in the boonies !

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I've stayed in the city for too long and was wondering what does it feel like living in a rural setting. I understand that living rural means no nosy neighbors, it's more quiet than large cities, and hardly any drama, am I right?
Yes, you are right ~~ living in the country is very quiet, no nosy or noisy neighbors close, awesome scenery in all directions, frequent visitors of Bambi, wild turkeys, squirrels, a fox, a cougar, even a bear sighting

As a lifelong Big City girl, my first year living out in the country was quite the transition. I felt out of place and uncomfortable being outdoors ~~~ no sidewalks ~~~ all those trees, so much sky, so much green stuff, so much fresh air

UH...... yes, rural life is different! Seven years later, I'm still living out in the country but I do go into town at least four times a week to walk around, go to the gym, eat out, and shop

Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,199,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Quiet, peaceful and a little isolated. Not everyonw can handle it and it's a LOT of work. Bottom line I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.
Me, neither! I would not have liked it so much in my earlier years because of the isolation, not such a great variety of goods in the available stores, long drive to go to town, etc. but I have reached the point in life where I want peace and quiet and the rural life gives me that.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,183,683 times
I grew up in the country but recently moved into town since it's closer to work. My parents still live there.

I loved it growing up. Grilling out, playing in the cornfields, riding go-carts/ATVs, camping out during the winter, sitting on the back deck at night to see nothing but stars, fields and woodline.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM

8,682 posts, read 9,457,365 times
I grew up in San Francisco and moved to a town of 4500 when I got out of college. Presently I live 8 miles from a town of 5000. I would never want to live in or near a town of more than 15000

Rural living comapred to City living=

Peaceful

More freedom-you can do stuff without people compaining. People aren't in your way

Easy to connect with people-you aren't some nameless face. People are way more friendly.

No traffic issues. My commute is the same amout of time everyday. No surprises, no stop and go driving and I get that "Hwy" MPG all the time.

Clean air

Surrounded by beauty everyday-all day long.

And you'd be surprised how much there is to do-but it tends to be more people oriented than in the city. And in town we have movies, good theatre, good restaurants.

Life is good!

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
We like rural; 10 people or less per square mile is nice.

We are 20 minutes from a city, and live in a town of 250.

From outside our house you see forest and a creek. All the land you can see is our land, and there is no other property visible.

We have one neighbor to the North and one to the South, both are about 1/2 mile away. Since it is all dense forest, if you go into the forest 20 paces you can no longer see the house behind you.

We have an orchard, a few rows of small chicken coops, hog pens, garden, etc. We lined both sides of our driveway with hanging tomato plants at about 30 feet apart.

We often see eagle flying overhead. Moose, deer and wild turkey are common sights.

The big crimes we read about in the weekly newspaper are usually underage drinking or barking dogs. People do not lock their cars or houses; and in the winter most folks leave their cars running when they go grocery shopping.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,965,879 times
And how's the wild? Like bears, snakes, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We like rural; 10 people or less per square mile is nice.

We are 20 minutes from a city, and live in a town of 250.

From outside our house you see forest and a creek. All the land you can see is our land, and there is no other property visible.

We have one neighbor to the North and one to the South, both are about 1/2 mile away. Since it is all dense forest, if you go into the forest 20 paces you can no longer see the house behind you.

We have an orchard, a few rows of small chicken coops, hog pens, garden, etc. We lined both sides of our driveway with hanging tomato plants at about 30 feet apart.

We often see eagle flying overhead. Moose, deer and wild turkey are common sights.

The big crimes we read about in the weekly newspaper are usually underage drinking or barking dogs. People do not lock their cars or houses; and in the winter most folks leave their cars running when they go grocery shopping.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
And how's the wild? Like bears, snakes, etc?
Yeah?

Early this week I was digging a 6 foot deep ditch to lay some pipe, everytime I turned my back for a few hours and the ditch kept filling with water [high water-table]. As I was doing this the pipe fittings kept popping loose, so I routinely had to go in there to re-fit them.

Now my backhoe bucket is only 8 inches wide, so I had to jump down into this 6 foot deep trench that is only 8 inches wide to re-fit the pipes together. In my old age I have grown just a tiny bit around my middle section, so the trench was a tight fit for me.

The job took a few days, and each night frogs filled the open trench. On the last day, the last time that I had to jump down in there, I noticed there were three snakes swimming in there gobbling up frogs.

I was just a tiny bit hesitant to jump in there with those snakes, but as it turned out they were friendly.

There are a few snakes here, mostly they are fairly small. Not like the huge rattlers that I used to catch and eat when I was a teenager in the Sierra Nevadas. Maine snakes do not have enough meat on their bones to make them worth the effort it would take to catch them.

Bears? there are a few, I rarely interface with bears.

I gave permission to a neighbor two years ago to hunt bear on the back side of my land. I got some great bear meat from him.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 AM

389 posts, read 652,476 times
West of Encino said: I've stayed in the city for too long and was wondering what does it feel like living in a rural setting. I understand that living rural means no nosy neighbors, it's more quiet than large cities, and hardly any drama, am I right?

You're 100% right on the money Sweetheart. There ain't many people 'round me @ all. 'matter of fact, my nearest neighbor is 'bout 4 miles off my property. I've also gotta creek & lots of woods surroundin' me. Ya can't leave my property without walkin' through the woods. It's absolutely gorges!

Beautiful wide blue country skies, nice long old red dirt roads, sweet wild clean air that's easy to breathe, prairies that run for as far as you can see in all directions. I've also got mountains by me. I'm in Northwestern Wyoming, probably some of the prettiest country in America. It's well preserved out here. Ya ain't gotta worry 'bout crime either. There's a few hounds out front my house & a gun in my lap. & oh yes, there is more snakes & what not. I've seen plenty my share of raddlers & quite a few other snakes. Lots of deer & bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, rabbits, etc. I hunt some too. haha, why not? Free meet!

I was thinkin' of myself when I moved out here. I truly believe that the way people these days are usin' up all the electricity & runnin' water, we're gonna run out one day. It'll be a global disaster. A lot of people in the cities would most likely starve or get killed by hungry looters. They don't know how to survive without all that. But I know I'm well taken care of either way out here. I get my food from my animals & crops. I wash my clothes in a bucket of soap & water & I dry 'em on a clothes line. I get my water from a well. I've also gotta ... nevermind. It'd make ya turn white.

Point is, everything's natural & pure out in the country. Rural livin' is the most clean, healthy, peaceful, beautiful, perfect way to live as long as you're cut out for it. For example, you can't have a soft ass. You've gotta be a hard worker or it's gonna ware ya down. It's a 7 day a week, sunrise to sunset work day. If you're lookin' for the lab of luxury, stay in them pretty little suburban neighborhoods Son. The country's for thems who don't mind gettin' dirty & sweaty. The roughnecks. The backwoodsmen, whether it be @ heart or for real. You gotta love what ya do or else it's gonna be hell. But I promise, if you can enjoy it you will. It's the best life there is.

Now I built my house out of a crooked old farmhouse that wasn't worth a damn. I didn't add onto it or nothin'. I just tore it down & built back up, with some help from my family & what not. It's a quaint little 3-bedroom farmhouse. It does have a little electricity in some parts, but I only use it for a couple lights & the radio. I also have a TV, a computer, & a hardline telephone. For heat I use the woodstove & the fireplace (real not gas. I've gotta chimney.) Like I said, I've gotta well & that other thing I won't mention. Plus the clothes line. Cows & a bull, hens & a rooster, pigs & piglets, lots of horses, & crops in the field. I kill the older animals when they've had enough babies & cook 'em. Once the babies grow older & have more babies, I do the same with them. & over & over again. It's a cycle that way.

I ain't sayin' ya gotta go 19th century like me. Hell you're probably sittin' there reading this thinkin' that I'm a total creapy Amish hick (I'm not Amish by the way.) I don't care. I'm just sayin' that country livin' is simpler. It's more worth while. Them big cities are overrated. I've never seen what anyone sees in city livin'. Gotta go satisfy my man now. haha, can I say that? Sorry.

Jessie

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,579,596 times
Lots of work . And sometimes emergency services are slow but to me its better than city life .

Good thing is you don't have to worry about noise . We have all night parties a couple times a year when company comes with guitars, keyboards and mikes, never had one complaint .

You can have a garden, animals but they can be a hassel if you want to leave for long periods of time .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living