U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,964,113 times

Advertisements

I've stayed in the city for too long and was wondering what does it feel like living in a rural setting. I understand that living rural means no nosy neighbors, it's more quiet than large cities, and hardly any drama, am I right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM

5,894 posts, read 13,516,299 times
We moved from the city to rural area when we retired. After the congestion, traffic, rushing to a fro, rude people and tiny patch of property, living in the country is a pleasant experience. Within a few months of walking the road, we met our neighbors, who turned out to be helpful and friendly. When we do go into the city for medical condition, I can't wait to get home. But it isn't for everyone, as you can feel isolated if you don't make an effort to get involved in the community. Also you need to let the people who live here take the lead, rather than be one of those "big city folks" trying to change everything.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,708,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I've stayed in the city for too long and was wondering what does it feel like living in a rural setting. I understand that living rural means no nosy neighbors, it's more quiet than large cities, and hardly any drama, am I right?
What is considered "rural" for you? I mean, how many miles or minutes or hours from what a large city, medium city, small town?

For us, we live in a small town which is unincorporated. I guess you could call it a bit "rural" as there is nothing here except a few small locally owned businesses, schools, and people.

I don't know if "rural" means no nosy neighbors, because people are people, but there is a higher probability of privacy simply for the fact that houses aren't right on top of one another as they are in a more congested area.

It definitely is more quieter than large cities (but then medium or small towns are quieter whether they are rural or not simply for the fact that there are less people living crowded together).

As far as less "drama" - Ha! You would think that there is less drama considering that there are less people, but in my opinion, small towns are havens for small town gossip and everyone knowing each other's personal business. The local town gossip connection is faster than your wireless connection.

You will also find that small towns have self-appointed "leaders" - locals who have been here for decades and they pride themselves on being "townies". They see themselves as the Kennedy's of whatever small town they live in. Basically, they see themselves as the "royalty" of Town XYZ. Yes, you can get involved in small town community things if you can align yourself with the people that live there and can relate to them. Bottom line, if you can align yourself with the values, beliefs, and attitudes of the people who live in XYZ town, then you will be happy if you're a person that wants/needs to be part of a community. If you're "different" in any way (race, religion, sexual orientation), then it's going to be tough living in a small town.

Getting a job locally in a small town or "rural" area can be next to impossible unless you're somehow "networked" with the people who have connections in the town. Like I said, the good ole boys and gals who have been living in Town XYZ for decades and their family and their family before them are deeply entrenched in the community and they come first as far as jobs and opportunities go. (There is even petty jealousy between them for that matter.)

One of my friends who I used to hang out with casually when our children were younger was someone who moved from a town about 40 minutes away. Her husband had his own computer business and company, so he travelled to a larger city to do his work and business, which left her with three young boys at home and not many friends. She did actually take the bull by the horns and started up a local "Mom's' group which went strong for a while. I didn't get a chance to participate in it that much as I had even more children and all were very young and it was next to impossible to do things because there was always someone to get on the bus, get off the bus, breastfeed, change diapers, etc. (Sorry if this is more than you want to hear). In any case, once her boys got a bit older, she tried to get hired by the local school system as an aide or secretary. (This was before things got really bad budget-wise for schools in America). She decided she would volunteer her services to the local elementary school and she did. She came in routinely to help out in the office, substituting for the secretaries when they were sick, she would act as a teacher's aide when necessary - all this was done for FREE as she was volunteering. After several years of that, a position actually opened up for which she was qualified for but instead of it going to her, it went instead to another lady in town, one that hadn't done any of the things that my friend had done. That lady got the job simply because she was married to one of the "Kennedy's" in our town. To be fair, the lady is very nice, she is actually a relative on my husband's side of the family and I have no axe to grind with her whatsoever, I'm just stating that that's how it is. My friend was deeply wounded that after all the years that she worked for free, she did not get the job, and instead, it went to someone else who had done nothing, was no more qualified than her. My friend ended up getting her real estate license and trying that for a while. I don't know how she is doing as I've lost contact with her. The point is that nepotism runs deep in small towns/rural areas and it's very deeply entrenched in the good ole boy and gal network.

If you have children, you will notice the same trend goes on there. Whether or not this is an issue for you, I don't know.

Our small town is 99% white (I got that statistic directly from City-Data so this is not made up), almost all Christian (there are ZERO mosques, temples, etc). and it's very conservative in all ways. Yes, there are some people who are not, but those are usually kept at bay by peer pressure. Yes, even adults are influenced by peer pressure.

Getting back to "nosy neighbors", I had a next door neighbor come over to our house years ago because we had a local school board candidate's sign up in our yard. The neighbor asked us if we knew about that candidate and all he "stood for." In all honesty, we did not, we simply put the sign up because he asked if he could. The neighbor proceeded to take it out of our yard. I want to point out that the sign had been in our yard for less than an hour when the neighbor came over. If you're wondering how "remote" we are neighbor from neighbor, each of our yards is at least 2.5 acres; some have double that.

The good points that I see living in a more remote area is that you have more privacy and it is more peaceful. There is less crime because there are less people. This is not to say that there is no crime because there is. Thieves like going to houses that are in remote areas because they think that no one will be around to see them. That is true because a good number of houses are far away from the street. Theft and car break-ins are the major crimes in our small town. There are also domestic disturbances.

The cons are that you're away from everything if you need to go out. That includes work, shopping, services, etc. Our town doesn't have even a small Ma and Pa type grocery store. You have to plan your purchases ahead of time or you will be driving back and forth constantly. If you have children who want to be involved in anything (sports, gymnastics, or anything else), you will be driving A LOT. If you are a college student or have kids that are college students, they will be driving quite a distance getting to school. If you live in a cold weather state like I do, driving a long distance on snowy/icy days is dangerous and it scares me worrying about my kids if they're going to make it to and back from college in one piece. There is no public transportation in rural areas either. If you are an elderly person who needs to make it to and back from doctor appointments, have access to hospitals, etc., it's not so easy when you are living in rural areas unless you have someone who can take you back and forth.

In closing, there are a good points living in a rural area. I think it all depends on what you want from life. There are plenty of people who like living in rural areas; you might be one of them. I honestly think that there are people born to live in small towns/rural areas and those that aren't. Good luck if you're looking to move.

Last edited by Donna7; 07-24-2010 at 06:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,576,916 times
in small towns, you still have the nosy neighbors, cause its so small everyone knows everyone, even if you dont know them personally, you know something about them.

I grew up in a small town, after living in a couple cities, I feel the small town life is the way to go, I had to get out there and explore, I wanna raise my kids in a small town.

life is so much easier, no rat race, no traffic,everything is close by,its more community oriented,, people have more family values,its quiet, its cheaper,more friendly, laid back,more character in the small towns, its just better, and kids dont have the city influence.

cities stress me out, I hate traffic, the amount of people around me, the concrete,the big box stores,the lack of character,charm, noisy-ness, and busy interstates, but there are things I like about cities.

sometimes I see elderly people in cities driving slow down the interstates and I know that I dont wanna be that person, I couldnt take it, I wanna be that old person in the small town that gathers at the donut shop talking about the weather or the latest events enjoying a quiet peaceful life.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,582,236 times
Donna7, might I suggest trying a different small town. Sounds like you landed in a real winner.

Not all small towns are run by a few families. There are some out there that actually run quite smoothly and welcome anybody and their ideas, no matter where they are from or how long they have been there.

I've been in a rural area like you describe and it is frustrating as hell. Maddening really. A few trying to be English Lords looking out over their little personal empire gets old real fast. A far greater number of rural places I have lived have been quite the opposite and VERY nice welcoming places to move into and live. The place I am in now does have families that have been here since the area was settled back in the 1860-70's, but they are probably the most open of the people around here. The closed/stand-offish ones are the families that have moved in during the last 10-15 years.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,535,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Quiet, peaceful and a little isolated. Not everyonw can handle it and it's a LOT of work. Bottom line I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 PM

830 posts, read 2,400,060 times
I've lived in both heavily urban areas, and now, a small, remote town. I love the rural lifestyle I have now.

However...

There can still be nosy neighbors. There is tons of gossip in my small town. It generally doesn't bother me since there's not much about me to gossip about, but it's out there. LOTS of drama surrounding certain people and situations. The kids I teach at school know whose Dad got arrested last week cuz they saw it or heard their parents talking about it, and that's what they use as ammunition when they tease each other. In Kindergarten.

It's quieter in some ways and noisier in other ways. The fire whistle goes off every day at noon. The cows are out mooing at 5am when they graze them outside my house in early spring. People have workshops in their garages and start whirring at 8am. There are lots of "outdoor dogs" that bark. I don't mind these things; some people would, I guess.

I'm not out on a farm or in the wilderness though. I'm inside town limits.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,960,513 times
Default What's life like living in rural areas?

Very different and very satisfying.

We moved from the downtown of a city of 460,000 on the west coast to a rural area served by the post office in a town of 129 in a mid-west/almost southern part of the country. It's been a joy.

The nearest store/gas station. along with a cafe, laundromat and barber is seven miles away. The nearest town, with a population of about 4,000, is 18 miles away and includes two grocery stores, a Lowe's, some restaurants, a pharmacy or two, some other shops and a medical center. It's another seven miles to a larger town of about 7,000 with a hospital and more shopping/entertainment, etc. then about 40 more miles to the nearest real city which has a population of about 156,000. Big cities, more like where we came from, are five hours NEand NW of us. That's close enough!

We're on the shore of a very large lake in a community of 212 custom homes (not gated) and the sounds we hear are mostly those of nature. It's quiet, serene and restful and after urban living for many years, soothing and very enjoyable. Nature abounds, topography favors and protects us from any future sprawl and people are friendly and welcoming.

Life, especially in retirement, is very good. It's not always real convenient but the trade-off in terms of peace of mind is well worth it. We just have to plan when we "go to town!" If nothing else, it makes it an adventure!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 PM

121 posts, read 310,590 times
You have to do a lot of things yourself. Plow your own lane, haul your own garbage at least down to the pick-up area, mow the weeds in your borrow pit... People seem to be more of a Jack-of-all-trades instead of specializing. Everyone knows how to winterize trucks and change oil instead of relying on Jiffy-Lube. It's a LOT more work.

It IS quieter if you're talking about sirens and traffic noises, but we get more dog barks, cow bellers, and train noises. What you see when you take a walk is nature instead of neon. Scenery instead of sidewalks. Cows instead of crowds.

It's farther to the mall and the swimming pool. The kids might swim in the swimming hole instead. They don't get green hair from the chlorine, but they might pick up a rash or a mosquito bite. They're more likely to get a sprained ankle from using the rope swing or the jumping rock.

Everything has its trade-offs. Some people like neon better than nature. Some people prefer not to work quite so hard. There are things I miss about living in a big city. Other things, not so much.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Dogs that consistantly bark are owned by rude,inconsiderate people.

Those type of dog owners can be found living in both the city and rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living