U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I suspect if goat dairies received the same levels of subsidies that cow dairies do (or there were no subsidies at all) the price of goat cheeses and fluid milk wouldn't be quite as high in comparison. There may still be a small increase in price because goats just don't produce as much milk as cows, but then again they don't require as much feed either and have smaller housing/ranging needs... so might be net-zero difference in the end.

While you can technically make any cheese from any species milk with the appropriate cultures, the taste and textures are different between species and purists don't let you get away with using the "wrong" milk The same is true of other cultured milk products... goat yogurt is WAY different than cow yogurt! Both are lovely and scrumptious, but there is a difference.

Isn't it strange that tre govt makes public the names,addresses, and $$ amounts of all farmers who recieve subsidies from the farm bill, yet does not make public the names,addresses, and $$ amounts of people recieving food stamps from the farm bill.

Over 67% o all expenditures of the farm bill goes for-------nutritional aid.

Why the double standard ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Pork and beef farmers don't get subsidies thus when prices are very low , many exit the business creating a shortage and prices go up.
This is untrue -- meat and poutlry/egg producers are eligible for various livestock subsidies even if they do not pay out as much as dairy and other crops.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
Quote:
Isn't it strange that tre govt makes public the names,addresses, and $$ amounts of all farmers who recieve subsidies from the farm bill, yet does not make public the names,addresses, and $$ amounts of people recieving food stamps from the farm bill.

Perhaps because the privacy laws are different for businesses (entities) than they are for individuals (humans).

Quote:
This may well be, I don't have the data to confirm or dispute. BUT this is a failing in the bill... separate issues should have been kept separate, not lumped together with riders to get unrelated things in under the radar.

Don't get me wrong, farm subsidies and nutritional aid programs do have their place and do serve a necessary function. I agree with many of them to a point... if they actually helped the people they were intended to help and the majority didn't go to the businesses and people who appear to need them the least. Help a small to mid-sized farmer keep from going under and losing the family farm... GREAT. Help low-income families and schools provide adequate and proper nutrition... GREAT. But when the biggest and the greediest take the biggest chunk, regardless of whether they are taking a loss or not, and that compounds anti-competitrive practices even further then I start to have issues.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Quote:

Good point,same reason food stamp recipients now have a 'credit card',so to take away any stigma perhaps???

It is ALL the people's money afterall...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,767,031 times
Quote:

The double standard is because those who receive food stamps will likely keep voting for the politician who feeds them. The farm vote is less reliable. It is all about keeping voters.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
I think it does have a lot to do with the economy. Goat's milk is so healthy and like it best raw and ice cold. A friend of mine is setting up a big barn, a cheese making room and nice milking parlor. He has been acquiring some great dairy goats from all over. Goats seem to be getting more popular in Western North Carolina and I sure hope the farmers do well. Privately owned goats for family milking purposes seem to be increasing too. I think that we ought to be able to keep a few goats and some chickens for eggs, pretty much most places. When I was in Los Angeles county, in California, I had chickens and vegetable gardens in my back yard.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:47 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,541,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedGoat View Post
I think it does have a lot to do with the economy. Goat's milk is so healthy and like it best raw and ice cold. A friend of mine is setting up a big barn, a cheese making room and nice milking parlor. He has been acquiring some great dairy goats from all over. Goats seem to be getting more popular in Western North Carolina and I sure hope the farmers do well. Privately owned goats for family milking purposes seem to be increasing too. I think that we ought to be able to keep a few goats and some chickens for eggs, pretty much most places. When I was in Los Angeles county, in California, I had chickens and vegetable gardens in my back yard.
Howdy neighbor...

Our place up there is out highway 64 heading to Morganton.
Not sure what we will end up having at our little place,chickens for sure,probably a couple of pigs and some meat goats.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM

830 posts, read 2,400,273 times
I so very much wish someone around here was selling fresh goat's milk, cuz I'd buy it in a second. It's all beef cows and some lamb around here (I don't eat either).

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,265,128 times
i think alot of it is location, more is stigma and more is the rules behind pasturization...

i personally plan on having some goats for MY use, i drink raw goats milk, make goats milk soaps and cheeses, (not to mention there great for clearing brush lol)
i think in SOME areas the market is saturated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living