U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,689,142 times

Advertisements

I just read , in our local ag newspaper, of many goat farmers who no longer have a market for their goats milk.

18 area goat dairy farmers recieved a notice 6 months ago that due to an oversupply of milk, the Wisconsin processing plant was no longer going to pick up or buy their goats milk.

Some of the farmers had between 100-200 milking goats.
The last truck picked up on July 19.

Some are culling their herd, some are switching to meat goats and most are selling their goat milk as animal feed to neighboring farmers to use to feed young steers.

Many have searched all over the US to find a buyer for their goats milk and discovered the market is flooded.

When it first started, I suspected goats milk might be a passing fad and soon the market would be saturated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:25 PM

1,568 posts, read 2,435,295 times
I used to have goats and used almost all they produced in milk and butter, I had one that milked almost all cream,and cheese I made . I only had two to milk. The excess was given to a family to feed their 6 kids. LOL Take it for however you want. There was a large producer of meat goats close and I am not sure if it is still prospering or not.

Goats are fairly easy to keep and raise. Much easier than a cow which I also had for many years. It would not surprise me if the market became flooded.

I know the dairy farmers here are all gone now. There were four dairy's when we moved here in 1994 and two years ago the last one closed. I think the last dairy is still raising replacement heifers.

No more milking for me. My hands will not take it any more. :^(

Chris

Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,473,588 times
There's always going to be something of a market for it, given that there are some still very popular cheeses that can only be made with goat milk, and how it's a dairy alternative for many people who can't digest cow milk well.

I suspect demand for it will still end up significantly higher than it was 20 years ago even as the fall in trendiness of it causes production to come significantly down from the peak of the market.

This city girl still much appreciates getting to pick up goat cheese at the supermarket, and doesn't see that going away anytime soon.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I used to have goats and used almost all they produced in milk and butter, I had one that milked almost all cream,and cheese I made . I only had two to milk. The excess was given to a family to feed their 6 kids. LOL Take it for however you want. There was a large producer of meat goats close and I am not sure if it is still prospering or not.

Goats are fairly easy to keep and raise. Much easier than a cow which I also had for many years. It would not surprise me if the market became flooded.

I know the dairy farmers here are all gone now. There were four dairy's when we moved here in 1994 and two years ago the last one closed. I think the last dairy is still raising replacement heifers.

No more milking for me. My hands will not take it any more. :^(

Chris
Idaho has boomed as a dairy cow state.
Many Californis dairies re-located to Idaho in the last 20 years.

Ny brother-in-lawe recently retired.
He spent many months working for a Minnesota company installing equipment in cheese plants in Idaho.( flew home every other weekend )

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM

( regarding goat dairies )

In that article was a young woman from Little Falls MN who went into goat dairying on her parents farm ( 140 milking goats)

Very nice pictures and it looked like the goats are well cared for.
She said she has about 500 lbs of goat milk a day that has no market.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,716,326 times
don't know about a huge market but we always had goat milk as kids. I'm sure someone will keep drinking the stuff... I wouldn't mind have one or two myself....... maybe they'll be for sale cheap now??

Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM

15,594 posts, read 7,667,071 times
I wouldn't even know where you'd buy goat milk.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 AM

2,900 posts, read 4,010,976 times
Well, marmac, a lot of these new back-to-the-landers are going to discover that the basic laws of economics applies even if one has noble intentions.

I was talking to a friend in Alaska -organic, CSA-type farmer- who said that they lost part of their market for organic produce (local grocery stores) when some California-based supplier entered the "organic" market and offered the stores lower wholesale prices. Maybe if oil hits $200 a barrel, the price of local-grown (in Alaska) will become competitive with the shipped-in produce from California. But apparently at $78/barrel, it is still cheaper to ship the produce in.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,001,603 times
I try to drink goats milk, but the only way I can get it is the Meyenburg brand and it's gotten too expensive, almost $4. per quart. I would prefer goats milk over cows as I have allergies. But I can't afford it. Someone needs to go into competition with Meyenburg and have a more cost effective product.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,546,660 times
Hmmm,think it might have anything to do with the economy of the ENTIRE NATION going down the crapper????

Maybe people don't have quite as much money for discretionary spending...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living