U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,170,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I've lived in Texas all my life (except for a very brief period in Seattle). Over that period of time, I've lived in the country, in small towns (800 to 10,000 population, in the middle of Dallas, and everything in between.

Never have locked my doors, whether I lived five minutes from downtown Austin or out in the country.

We've been burgled twice over the past 60 years, both times in the city, in the same neighborhood, both times just before Christmas, they took electronics only (which were insured, and old, so we got to upgrade for pretty much free). No damage to the house itself. And even if we'd locked our doors, one door had a window that would be pretty easily broken to reach in and unlock the door, if the burglar were determined.

Never have lived in a gated community, either. Don't much like being fenced in.
I don't think it matters where you live, personally I think women should be especially careful of our safety. I guess you don't live alone, but even so, I think you should lock your windows/doors at night.

Whether or not your husband is there, it would be better not to risk having some crazy person break into your house. The person may not be looking for jewelry or money, if you catch my drift.

If you have a dog or two, that's probably a different story. I personally can't imagine having a dog puke/pee/poo in my house. Sorry dog lovers. I'm still recovering from the cats.

I finished cleaning up the cat vomit from the various surfaces in the house, but I haven't cleaned all of the cat hair off of one of the pillows yet, and it still grosses me out. I would LOVE to have a dog, but I don't think I'm an in-house pet person...

Nevertheless, dogs do act as a deterrent to would-be intruders. And unlike a cat, they won't just run and hide as Joe the Psycho drags your battered body into the woods.

I feel kind of guilty, because my neighbor has a thousand dogs and cats and is some sort of insane animal lover ;P I feel a little selfish for not being able to live with one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,761,429 times
What does being a woman and living alone have to do with anything? I lived alone in an isolated area and never locked my doors. Even after I got married, my husband often worked night shift. I had outside dogs for an early warning system and a rifle for backup. Oh, yes and I haven't had phone service for all that long, so I could not depend on help from anyone else, nor did I need it.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM

69 posts, read 97,167 times
I don't lock my car doors. My parents always tell me to, but I feel safe in my town. I know everyone, and they all have their own cars, and their own things. I feel like theres no reason to steal my car, and I don't have anything in my car that anyone would want to steal. I mean unless they're desperate for a car seat and a water bottle.

I don't think I lock my car when I go anywhere, not just at home. I feel safe everywhere I go.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 AM

9,802 posts, read 18,762,523 times
locking your car & home is common sense but some people actually dont. Go figure.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,752,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie
Do a lot of people in small towns still leave their cars setting outside unlocked, especially at night?
Yes its NOT A GOOD WORLD anymore.... In the 60s and earlier you could leave things UNLOCKED but you shouldnt now!!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM

34,460 posts, read 43,326,884 times
Unlocked cars are a significant problem. Every month we get the previous month's Sheriff's Report and there are always 6 or 8 thefts listed. All but one are usually from unlocked cars. GPS, change, cell phones are the common items taken.

Of course there's always one resident at the meeting that talks about rampaging crime and how they're going to move because they're scared.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,144,465 times
With all due respect to the very serious stories in this thread I was sure that this would come up...

Why do people in low crime, small towns lock their car doors?

To keep people from putting zucchini in it.

We live in arguably one of the most dangerous cities (it was #5 on Forbes list last fall) in the USA in the summer. We lock doors and take necessary precautions though we do not lock up when we are at home during the day. We also have a winter rural property and are less cautious there but we do lock the house and car (though the garage and other outbuildings are unlocked) at night. We've never had a problem with our approach, knock wood.

It comes down to probability, access and the like. That said, we prefer non-flashy cars, leave valuables out of plain sight. And while things are well kept in a neat, roses on the fence sort of way, neither house is full of the things thieves tend to target: drugs, cash, jewelry, guns. We are second hand sort of folk, not the type to draw much interest or get the criminal element buzzing.

Interesting thread.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:29 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,431,105 times
I don't lock my doors, and leave the keys in the console, usually right next to my wallet. Now that it's summer and the tourists and seasonal workers are here, I'll probably keep the wallet in the (unlocked) glove compartment. The only time I take my keys out of the truck is when I go to Anchorage or to the post office (my box key is the only other key I carry - no house key since we've never locked the doors). Sad that there are so few places where this is reasonable and normal behavior. Stuff can be important at times, but is mostly replaceable. A way of life is not. If I started locking every door and worrying about all that stuff I'd miss the freedom and sense of peace we have here more than just about anything I own. As for someone barging in while we're home, I think they'd regret it.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM

833 posts, read 1,494,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I don't lock my doors, and leave the keys in the console, usually right next to my wallet. Now that it's summer and the tourists and seasonal workers are here, I'll probably keep the wallet in the (unlocked) glove compartment. The only time I take my keys out of the truck is when I go to Anchorage or to the post office (my box key is the only other key I carry - no house key since we've never locked the doors). Sad that there are so few places where this is reasonable and normal behavior. Stuff can be important at times, but is mostly replaceable. A way of life is not. If I started locking every door and worrying about all that stuff I'd miss the freedom and sense of peace we have here more than just about anything I own. As for someone barging in while we're home, I think they'd regret it.
I lock my car and lock my house.

I don't feel the...............lack of freedom and lost peace------------that you state you would by doing so.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,431,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
I lock my car and lock my house.

I don't feel the...............lack of freedom and lost peace------------that you state you would by doing so.
Good for you. Everybody's different. Maybe you don't know what it's like to live in a place like this, where you really don't need to worry about things like that. I've lived in places where I felt the need to have my doors locked at all times, even when I was driving. I moved here partly to get away from that kind of life, and I'll never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living