U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 AM

16,305 posts, read 13,790,176 times

Advertisements

The guy in the video was recognized and was arrested. It led to the arrest of 5 more guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,544,550 times
Our small town used to be the safest around. But the area "meth makers" now not only hunt for anhydrous ammonia to steal, they hunt for open doors on houses and cars so they can steal anything. We live in a 14 house rural country subdivision in a forest. I left the garage door open one day when I left for work but there was another car in the driveway and also a motorcycle and another car in the garage. Every house in the subdivision was broken into and robbed except for ours which had the open garage door. We were lucky they thought we were home.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,525,662 times
Good idea but Ive had my car broke into, in my own driveway, in a fenced yard, when I lived back in Calif. The person simply shattered a window.
Another time boyfriends truck (a guy I lived with) was broke into was in an apt complex back in Scottsdale Az, again they simply picked the lock and got in. The damage around the handle of the door indicated the lock pick tool they used. His battery was dead because the car alarm ran nonstop and as we know, those alarms are so useless, just noisemakers that most people ignore.
Im by no means saying theres no crime in this town but was shocked to see people leaving cars unlocked and windows down in parking lots out here, or even leaving their cars running while running into the Kwik Trip, I just never see that anywhere else.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Good idea but Ive had my car broke into, in my own driveway, in a fenced yard, when I lived back in Calif. The person simply shattered a window.
Another time boyfriends truck (a guy I lived with) was broke into was in an apt complex back in Scottsdale Az, again they simply picked the lock and got in. The damage around the handle of the door indicated the lock pick tool they used. His battery was dead because the car alarm ran nonstop and as we know, those alarms are so useless, just noisemakers that most people ignore.
Im by no means saying theres no crime in this town but was shocked to see people leaving cars unlocked and windows down in parking lots out here, or even leaving their cars running while running into the Kwik Trip,
People generally do the third bolded thing because they don't want to have the first two bolded things happen.

Quote:
I just never see that anywhere else.
You need to get out more. It's common in all six communities that I've lived in in my life.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM

5,434 posts, read 10,044,561 times
In some small towns, I hear tell, ya gotta secure your car and be sure to lock its doors 'cause there are nefarious people who will dump their excess zucchini in it. Drive by zucchini dumping is a big problem come July and August. Best to guard against it--be safe, lock your doors!!

Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,047,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
In some small towns, I hear tell, ya gotta secure your car and be sure to lock its doors 'cause there are nefarious people who will dump their excess zucchini in it. Drive by zucchini dumping is a big problem come July and August. Best to guard against it--be safe, lock your doors!!
It does no good, they'll just leave it on the hood.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,264,719 times
yep...I have lived in Vegas, and Miami...the only place I ever had a car stolen...was in Montana!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,913,317 times
Well, count me in as one of those that don't lock my doors. I don't even take the keys out of my truck or my 4 wheeler.

However, my guns are in my gun safe, except the loaded one on my nightstand. If there is a noise outside, my dog will let me know. I'm rural enough that from my front porch, I can not see a street light.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM

27,149 posts, read 64,366,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
And roosters. No one wants roosters but when you buy chicks, you never know what you will get. The roosters have to be disposed of omehow. An unlocked car makes an ideal location.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 AM

12,941 posts, read 19,539,353 times
As a life-long city boy and self-defense instructor I tell my students to always lock their doors no matter where they are.

My country cousins tend to disagree.

There is NO place that is 100% safe anymore. Dogs are great also, but can easily be dispatched. Not locking the car door because you don't want to pay for a window? Really? You must have a junker then, because I've never known anyone with a half-way decent car that would rather file an auto theft report than fill out an insurance claim.

But despite all this I know that there will always be people - Sheeple, actually - that are only here on Earth as food for the Wolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living