U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:47 PM

5,433 posts, read 10,043,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
And roosters. No one wants roosters but when you buy chicks, you never know what you will get. The roosters have to be disposed of omehow. An unlocked car makes an ideal location.
Whoa! A loose Rooster or two could deliver quite a mess. All the more reason to lock you car--I'd hate to get in and find that kind of surprise. Zuchinni, si, roosters, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,478 posts, read 41,064,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, count me in as one of those that don't lock my doors. I don't even take the keys out of my truck or my 4 wheeler.

However, my guns are in my gun safe, except the loaded one on my nightstand. If there is a noise outside, my dog will let me know. I'm rural enough that from my front porch, I can not see a street light.
Leaving my keys in the car and in the door of the house is the only way I know of how to remember where I put them.

I always have left my keys in the door of the house and never had any night -time visitors (that I know of )

I would like to live in Malta, where they leave their homes unlocked WHEN they are gone ! so folks can come inside for rest and shelter.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,045,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Not locking the car door because you don't want to pay for a window? Really? You must have a junker then, because I've never known anyone with a half-way decent car that would rather file an auto theft report than fill out an insurance claim.
I don't think someone trying to steal a car will worry about breaking a window to gain access.

"Grab and go" theft of merchandise inside a car is much more common that auto theft. Those people aren't going to worry about breaking a window to get into the car, either. Best defense is to not having anything in there worth stealing. And if you leave it unlocked they can open the door and look around without having to damage your car.

I've had my car broken into once. I was in Chicago (Rosemont, actually) at an Aerosmith concert. The car was locked, fortunately it was an older hardtop so the thief was able to pry the window glass out enough to pop the lock without breaking anything. They took a leather jacket and a payroll check out of a girl's purse. From that point on I've put any valuables in the trunk and left the doors unlocked. No problems since (20+ years).

But, yes, I do tend to drive my "junker" when I travel to an area where theft is more common than it is where I live.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,582,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I would like to live in Malta, where they leave their homes unlocked WHEN they are gone ! so folks can come inside for rest and shelter.
You mean you should lock the doors when you are out of town? Crap... now I have to go find my house keys. Haven't seen them in 4 or 5 years, but they must be here somewhere .

Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,535,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
And roosters. No one wants roosters but when you buy chicks, you never know what you will get. The roosters have to be disposed of omehow. An unlocked car makes an ideal location.
Hmm? send 'em my way... I hatch my chickens' eggs, keep the hens, feed the roosters for 8 weeks, then butcher and pressure-can the meat.

We moved here 4 years ago, and coming from The Big City, we always lock our doors - still. Our neighbors don't.... they leave their cars with the keys in the ignition, and in the wintertime sometimes leave them running. It works out for them for the most part... sadly, some neighbors left their keys in their ignition in an unlocked but closed garage. They went out one Sunday morning, and opened the garage door - and the car was gone. Two weeks later it was found in a mall parking lot 300 miles away, out of gas. They never found out who 'borrowed' it, and they had to spend money and time to go and get it, fill it with gas, and drive it home.

We don't have a lot to steal, and we trust our neighbors anyway - it's the passersby who see this sort of thing as an open invitation.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,868,502 times
I usually keep my truck doors locked but leave the car doors unlocked (the car is older and I don't drive it often so nothing of value is left inside). I do lock up my house though....my husband travels most of the year and isn't home much so I am aware that this could be obvious to someone if they were watching my house. I keep all windows down and locked, doors locked with dead bolts and bedroom door locked. I also sleep with a pistol on my night stand and a shot gun near the bed as well. I also am sure to bring my dog in at night. This might sound crazy to some but I am a female home alone 95% of the time so I feel I need to be extra careful with my safety.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,559,138 times
I've always locked my vehicle doors and doors at home. The only time I ever had to leave my vehicle unlocked was my van and the only reason I left it unlocked is because the locks on it were messed up - place the key in the lock and then you couldn't turn the key. I finally gave up and just left it unlocked, never had no problems. With the current vehicle I have, I'm back to keeping it locked. I lived in a decent sized city and didn't trust a lot of people but where I currently live, there is very little crime. A few months ago someone broke into a woman's house here and she shot him dead. We have a lot of tourists here so I'm always keeping everything locked. We have around 8,000 people living here, so it's quite a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living