U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
I like this thread. Should be a regular forum.
So many chicken questions - they are so interesting.
There's a pet forum, but it would be nice to have a forum/subforum specifically for livestock. Maybe the mods will create one for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,982 times
I didn't read all the post but I'm thinking lack of protien.Maybe feed them some meat scrape.

brushrunner

Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,511,857 times
op- what happened with your little hen? did she get better?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM

9,618 posts, read 11,511,286 times
Default Cluck cluck!

Essentially, we have 9 birds, all hens, so no crowing, strutting roos abut. Almost all the hens have some feather loss, and signs that they must be rubbing shoulders on their nightly roost bar to the point where three of them even have worn-through shoulder plumage! They look sort of like Afghani war zone birds IMHO!

But the top 3 birds [in terms of dominance that is...] all look quite good. Great tail feathers, good appetites, and they are all great layers. The worst ones look like I ran them through my clothes dryer for a hour or so.... poor things, and we love them lots. They are treasured co-inhabitant family members at our farm, and they are friendly with us, running up when we approach, and clucking happily. Not looking like psychologically deprived "inmates"... Just beat-up ones!

BTW, I do feed them some catfood kibble on the advice of some other chicken forums, and they gobble it up, but I also feed them Purina's Layena chicken food, which has a high protein content, and we also feed them kitchen vegetable scraps and some scratch corn. They also get daily turns outside on our acreage, where they industriously rustle up all the insects stupid enough to venture out into sight.

I will be building a new additional coopage, with some separation areas to keep those poor dominated ladies safe, primarily from that one hen that wants to be a rooster. It may just be that this behavior is established now, and that it's too late. Yah think?

BTW, I also hear this is not uncommon problem. Wonder what's the basis for it in nature? Their original velociraptorian evolutionary heritage perhaps?

Thx to all for any and all suggestions and ideas.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 PM

121 posts, read 310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Q: can you kill and eat an animal you've raised from a chick for > a year, and that you've lovingly named?

"Mmmm! Little Eresthesia is particularly tasty with these dumpin's tonight! Must be tender 'cause we luhhhvd her so much! Yuhhhhmmm!"
Yeah. We always named them after foods just so the kids wouldn't forget what they were ultimately for. We had one named Nugget, and one named Buffy (buffalo wings) and one named Torey (chicken cacciatore). The pigs were just Ham and Bacon. The calves were Boomer (for Boomer steak house) and Chuck.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,658,985 times
So how many hens would it take to get an average of 4-6 eggs per day?

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Between 4 & 6

Depending on the breed, the season and the feed chickens average about one egg a day if you don't let them get broody.

Laying breeds are a pretty sure bet daily, heritage or multi-purpose breeds might be every other day.

10-12 would pretty much guarantee 4-6 eggs a day, and you can always give away/sell or freeze any extras.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 AM

121 posts, read 310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
It takes some learning to get it all figured out, and a little bit of work to keep it coming, but once you get it, it's pretty consistent. You have to take care of details like light/heat, proper feed, layer boxes, roosts, etc. One Winter we had 25 layers, and got 24 eggs every day. Then we got busy and/or lazy and didn't keep up with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living