Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
thanks Missingall4season,

I will try the rain water catchment system when i build the garden shed, another project in the pipe line.

Many of my neighbor only garden in spring and they seem to depending on rain a lot, i would like to continue my garden in to the fall will need some way to water the garden.
I am currently use the 12 volts RV pump to pump water from the creek to 32 gallons plastic garbage containers(6). It is a pain to carry battery for the pump and bring it back to the house to recharge, but it is working for now.

Yesterday i went to C'ville to check out the Well Point at Tractor Supply store, the stainless steel screen fell like it could get damage during drive the well point in to ground, that deter me to spend $ 60 for the point and $40 for 2 section of galvanize pipe.

On the way home i stopped at the Habitat for Humanity store, some one must have it laying in their garage for the past 20 plus years unused. i got it for $10. , well point and 2 section for galvanize pipe.
I will give it a try this week end and will let you know.
Always check with your county for permits.

I can tell you sand points are illegal in Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Did you happen to get the drive cap with the point and the pipe? If you just start pounding the open pipe, you can damage it and not be able to attach the hand pump to it. If the pipe is threaded, you should be able to at least find a screw-on galvanized cap in the plumbing section of the hardware store that should work.

Driving well pipe with a sledge is hard work, especially if you don't have loose, sandy soil. You may find that you'll need to move it a couple of times if you hit rocks or really hard clay. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living