U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,737,353 times

Advertisements

If they cut midweek, but were open on Saturdays, then they may get into a situation where they have to pay a shift differential for the weekend. And the postal workers should be aloowed to have two day soff in a row just like the rest of the workforce... so then you get rotating shifts when there is split days closed. It can be a real business/personnel headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,071,548 times
Default What fraud and waste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There has been so much fraud and waste within the Postal service but it is the average American who pays the price with higher stamp prices and less service.
I read the Los Angeles Times daily, a newspaper which justifiably prides itself on its investigative reporting and its unmasking of all sorts of chicanery. Odd that I haven't heard of fraud or waste within the Postal Service.

How can it be that you seem unaware of the real reason behind the (admittedly irritating) ever higher stamp prices? It is factual and self-evident: Their volume is shot to hell. This huge and efficient operation depends on high volume to avoid operating at a loss. Year after year there is less and less mail, especially first class mail.

1. Most of our bills that we used to receive are now delivered electronically, not by the U.S. Postal Service.
2. The payments that we make in response to those bills are now mostly made electronically by our banks' bill pay services; they no longer go through the U.S. Postal Service.
3. For the most part, people no longer write letters to keep up with each other. Friends and relatives now do that through email, or by using the phone, now that "long-distance" calling is mostly included in one's monthly charge.
4. Perhaps to a lesser extent, even business letters largely are done by email.

This is a profound and revolutionary shift in communication, both on a personal and on a business level. The Postal Service offers us a service which is increasingly marginal and obsolete. What's surprising is that they've held the fort (financially) as well as they have.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 AM

And another big chunk of their volume went missing when businesses started using UPS & FedEx for mail order/online purchases. It's nearly impossible to find a business that will use the USPS (since we don't have UPS?FedEx or a street address, only a PO Box). USPS Overnight rates aren't any more expensive than the other guys and are guaranteed. First class and priority aren't guaranteed delviery date, but they are still a little cheaper than 2nd or 3rd day rates. And you simply can't beat the Flat Rate Priority Boxes or Media Mail rates!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,775,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
And another big chunk of their volume went missing when businesses started using UPS & FedEx for mail order/online purchases. It's nearly impossible to find a business that will use the USPS (since we don't have UPS?FedEx or a street address, only a PO Box). USPS Overnight rates aren't any more expensive than the other guys and are guaranteed. First class and priority aren't guaranteed delviery date, but they are still a little cheaper than 2nd or 3rd day rates. And you simply can't beat the Flat Rate Priority Boxes or Media Mail rates!
My biggest beef with the USPS is that they cater to the junk mail more than 1st class. It used to be that 1st class mail took priority. When I complained to my postmaster about not receiving my 1st class mail and the post office often just returning it but getting handfuls of "junk mail" every week my postmaster informed me that there is "no priority" in what mail gets delivered. My experience wiht USPS has also been that "Priority Mail and "Express Mail" are in actuallity delivered no faster than 1st class.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Well, there is a bit of priority to our mail out here since it comes by plane. 1) Overnight any weight, 2) non-heavy Priority, 3) non-heavy First Class, 4) junk/flyers, than 5) anything really big or heavy Priority or First Class. We barely get junk mail in the winter because everything else is backed up with the weather grounding the mail planes... of course, we also don't get heavy or big stuf too frequently either

Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 AM

830 posts, read 2,400,791 times
Does mail delivery mean "mail to your home" or "mail to your PO Box"? Because if it's the former, we already have 0 day mail delivery and it works ok. There is no home delivery, you must have a PO Box. Everyone goes to the post office to pick up their mail. You can do it daily if you like, or once a week if it suits you better.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 AM

Same here Bigcats. Every post office I've ever been to in the US (even the tiny ones in BFE) has had the PO box area separate from the clerk area, and most of them had the PO boxes accessible 24/7 even if no one was on duty and the clerk area was locked. So the only time it was any kind of hassle at all was if you had a package that was too big for the box and needed to pick it up when a clerk was there. They could easily save $$ by reducing the days the clerk area was open and the mail was delivered to residences, and just have one person there in the back to accept and sort the mail from the truck and one person to handle the Overnight Express items... that reduced crew could still give folks their packages if they brought in their delivery slips, just not do the rest of the services. Even if they only did this where the population/volume was low enough to not warrant being open all the time, while larger areas staffed to their population/volume, it would still probably save money.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 PM

25,884 posts, read 32,445,049 times
Honestly I have no issue with 5 day delivery service. 6 day really doesn't impede service. For my I have an in town PO box. So on the days I am working I get my mail. Days off and I am not going to town my mail can wait.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

830 posts, read 2,400,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
So the only time it was any kind of hassle at all was if you had a package that was too big for the box and needed to pick it up when a clerk was there.
Yes, and at my PO they'll usually put your oversize package in a locked box and leave a key in your PO Box so you can still access your package.

The only problem I ever have with the no home delivery system is filling out delivery address forms that don't allow PO Boxes. Usually it's because they're going to deliver via UPS, but sometimes the vendor hasn't yet decided how they're going to send it so if I DO give them my home address and they try to send it by USPS after all, it's a problem. I get around it now by writing "123 bigcats' street OR Box 999"

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
I like 6 day a week mail.

In farming country it meamns a check from the Thursday livestock auction will; arrive on Saturday. Milk checks arrive on Saturday ( depending on the day of the month)

They then can be brought to the bank Monday morning.
If they arrived on Monday, many farmers get their mail delivered after 11:00, so they would have to wait for Tuesday to go to the bank.

You don't want to be goping tp the bank in the middle of the day if you are farming and are making hay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living