Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,957,428 times

Advertisements

I would push for the companies you do biz with to do EFT, you would get your livestock & Milk 'check' in your account on Friday, and you would not need to go into the bank.... Both you and the companies would save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,149,378 times
Evidently every rural area is different.

Where I live, PO boxes are inside the post office and the hours to access your boxes are the same as the post office " window".

Only difference is the window closes for noon lunch while the lobby is open.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,924,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Yes, and at my PO they'll usually put your oversize package in a locked box and leave a key in your PO Box so you can still access your package.

The only problem I ever have with the no home delivery system is filling out delivery address forms that don't allow PO Boxes. Usually it's because they're going to deliver via UPS, but sometimes the vendor hasn't yet decided how they're going to send it so if I DO give them my home address and they try to send it by USPS after all, it's a problem. I get around it now by writing "123 bigcats' street OR Box 999"
Luckily our village is so small that our Post Mistress knows everyone and will stick your mail in the box by name rather than whatever address may be on it. I can usually sneak in a fakey address out of my highway milemarker, but some of the online systems check for a "valid street address" and that means I can't complete checkout because I don't even live on a street, much less have a valid house number

Using UPS/FedEX and not shipping to a PO Box for signature required or delivery confirmation reasons just slays me... for, like, a dime-quarter more postage, you can have signature and confirmation with USPS. And you can track your Express packages, or pay a little extra to track Priority Packages with registered mail. You can even schedule package pickup. But most retailers must not know all the postal services available or can't be bothered with it... or have agreed to that "No Compete" clause when they signed up to have another carrier do their shipping.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,184,594 times
I don't get medicine by mail. Most medicines can be missed one day without consequence. But not all. It would make more sense to not deliver on Wednesday. First there would be delivery on Tuesay and Thursday and it would guarantee Saturday delvery.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,149,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't get medicine by mail. Most medicines can be missed one day without consequence. But not all. It would make more sense to not deliver on Wednesday. First there would be delivery on Tuesay and Thursday and it would guarantee Saturday delvery.
That would never happen. ( poster Missing gave the reasons)

I don't believe Saturday mail delivery is that expensive since it is done by a substitute mail person who gets no benefits .

Scheduling US Postal Service mail carriers to work Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with their days off being Sunday and Wednesday isn't gonna happen.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,780,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Using UPS/FedEX and not shipping to a PO Box for signature required or delivery confirmation reasons just slays me... for, like, a dime-quarter more postage, you can have signature and confirmation with USPS. And you can track your Express packages, or pay a little extra to track Priority Packages with registered mail. You can even schedule package pickup. But most retailers must not know all the postal services available or can't be bothered with it... or have agreed to that "No Compete" clause when they signed up to have another carrier do their shipping.
I do a fair amount of mail order, and I'd MUCH rather have something delivered via UPS than USPS. The UPS delivery driver will deliver to the house directly (I have a box tucked under the front deck for boxes if I'm not there, and you can usually leave a printed signature form that they'll accept for most "sig required" shipments).

With USPS, they'll deliver ONLY to the mail box out on the highway (never the house directly), and for anything bigger than a small book they just leave a pickup tag. The local Post Office is open Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30 pm, so it's often another day or two before I can pick up the item.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,651,078 times
if they are going to go to six day delivery I prefer Wednesdays being the day off as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,924,682 times
But the question in the OP is do we *need* 6-day delivery? Not would it be really nice to have and more convenient, but is it really *necessary*? Would/could you actually have a life threatening issue if you didn't get Saturday home delivery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living