U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,066,849 times

Advertisements

There is a thread in the Retirement forum stating that a Senate committee just voted to retain six-day mail delivery. A senator from Montana is quoted as saying that people in rural areas, especially seniors with their meds, depend on Saturday delivery. I would like to hear from rural dwellers whether they think that's a legitimate argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 4,379,314 times
six day delivery... Luxury!

We have 5 day a week pickup, if the mail plane arrives (so it's weather dependent). Normally in Dec/Jan/Feb we can go a week or more without mail being flown in (and there is no driving it in). Plus unless you send it priority overnight you might not get it for a couple of weeks or more in the middle of summer where the plane arrives daily.

Personally it's all about priority and organization, if someone depends on a Saturday delivery for medications then they're doing something wrong. Any maintenance meds I've needed have always had at least a 3 month stockpile (and that's when I was living in the lower 48).

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM

9,171 posts, read 17,544,093 times
3 days a week would be fine with me....

Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,675,567 times
I could happily get by with 2 times per week, maybe even 1.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:44 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,057,023 times
It should have been done a long time ago. Canada eliminated Saturday mail delivery over 40 years ago, and it hasn't caused them any problems. There would be benefits to five day mail delivery. It would improve reliability, by eliminating the fill in guy who delivers your mail one day a week. That way you have the same mail man every day.

Anyway, I agree with others here. Now days once a week delivery should be enough for most people. It should be cut to five days a week for business addresses and post office boxes, and one day a week for residences. If people need to receive their mail more often, they could get a post office box.

Maybe the cost saving, could be used to improve the mail service in other ways. Like maybe longer post office hours.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,253,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It should have been done a long time ago. Canada eliminated Saturday mail delivery over 40 years ago, and it hasn't caused them any problems. . .
Here's one Canadian who moved to England last year, and here they do have Saturday delivery and I am thrilled! Okay so it's only for my finds on eBay that it makes it thrilling . . .

Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 AM

35,124 posts, read 42,559,281 times
Only thing that comes in the mail these days is bills and advertising fliers, one or two days a week would be fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,628,153 times
At one point in my life, I rented a box at the PO because I was just renting temporarily until I found a permanent place to live and didn't want the hassle of changing addresses too close because you know how that goes.

So for almost 1 year I had the PO box and went every Sat morning to empty the box.
It suited me fine as the bills are sent out in plenty enough time.

I'm fine with reg mail being delivered once/twice per week. If it's important then do express mail or pay for the convenience of having it delivered whenever YOU want.

The PO might just make some money that way. Charge for the convenience of 24/7 delivery like FedEx does.

Some would pay the extra and the rest of us would learn to adjust.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 AM

9,784 posts, read 11,267,301 times
It would be extremely inconvenient if I lost my Saturday mail delivery. Living fifteen miles from town, a hundred miles from a city of 100k, and 500 miles from the nearest major metropolitan area, I purchase many items from afar. This includes books, groceries, many things from auction sites, and Netflix. To use Netflix as an example, my net cost would rise 16.67% if I lost those deliveries. Not receiving something equals a price increase in what remains. I have frequently bemoaned the fact that Fedex and UPS don't deliver on Saturday.

Taxes are to go up. Big banks get bailouts and guaranteed profits on foreclosures. Illegal aliens get free health care. It's wrong to cut services to the people who pay for it all.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM

9,171 posts, read 17,544,093 times
But are you willing to pay 75 cent to $1 to mail a letter?

(and People mailing stuff to you would raise there there prices also). for getting stuff on Saturday. Unless you are turning your Netflix around overnight, it would not make much difference. I think it sould go to three days a week, MWF for 1/2 the address in your post office, TRS for other 1/2 one mailperson two routes. Would cut delivery costs by 48% .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living