U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about preserving rural living?
I'm all for it, I hate urbanization 45 60.81%
I see the point of it, but balance is what we need 24 32.43%
It's pointless, how is a place to ever grow?t 3 4.05%
I couldn't care less. 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM

2,196 posts, read 2,449,794 times

Advertisements

Then again, I've seen seen homes w/ small front yards, but rather large backyards, but even that is somewhat different than being able to see everything your neighbor is doing just by looking out of your window.

Quote:
They should be thankfull they get their new house on a tiny lot.
Very thankfull..........cuz they sure couldn't afford a new house if it came with acreage.
Depending on the neighborhood, and the location(state, city, older or newer area, etc, there are a variety of factors) they still might not be able to afford the house, even if it does come with a tiny lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 AM

11,798 posts, read 22,242,561 times
I'd love to own a working ranch. If I did, I'd live there but hire people who know what they are doing to take care of the operations with a little guided input from me. It would fail with me trying to run it on my own, at least for a while.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd love to own a working ranch. If I did, I'd live there but hire people who know what they are doing to take care of the operations with a little guided input from me. It would fail with me trying to run it on my own, at least for a while.

So did rich movie stars.

They have driven the price of ranches out west out of the reach of neighboring ranches who want to buy it for their kin.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM

37,143 posts, read 43,058,077 times
I am no foe of urban living, whatsoever. I have lived in urban areas as an adult, and enjoy what large cities have to offer (chiefly, ample employment options in my field, which is not something rural areas typically boast). But I grew up very rurally, and this is where my heart is. If there were jobs for me, I'd still be living rurally, in a heartbeat. My family was agrarian for generations upon generations, up until the last two, in fact, when it became a much less viable economic option. I have always been opposed to sprawl eating up agricultural land, and urbanization of formerly rural land. While I enjoy my urban home, I will always yearn for the farmhouse that I grew up in.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM

My hometown has this odd trait of going from urban to rurual within minutes. You can be on a busy street one minute, but then take one turn right or left, you can find your self in a rural area. Or, you can have urbanization and rural living on the same streets(different sides of course, but same street none the less) I love that balance, and I pray that it is retained.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM

4,123 posts, read 5,437,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
The thing the worries me about small town life is that many small towns are becoming economically obsolete, and I'm not sure how that problem can be solved.
The Northwest Foundation is working on that very issue.

Northwest Area Foundation

They have a very real presence in the small towns around here.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:59 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,174,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I know in some areas, there are attempts to do so, and there is some land, that laws have been passed, stating that the land is not to have anything build on it, or what can be built on it is very limited. This is primarly to keep some farmland in many areas, and also lets not forget, we need some rural land for some of the things that we eat. What do you guys think? Do you think it's silly? Do you see the point? Or do you not really care?
No, it is not silly. There's been a growing attitude that we don't need farms anymore.

A lot of Americans seem to have the image that food is grown in the back of grocery stores. The increase in dense living disturbs me, because many newer condos don't have room outside for a potted plant, let alone grow a small garden. Should be there real tough times coming, or long-term disaster, these people won't be able to grow anyting.

My brother's farms grow cotton (a demand for it gain), corn, and wheat. Other farms grow melons, tomatoes, etc. . .

I simply cannot fathom the rape of many more farmland.

I'm not sympathetic to the need to house so many people because population has spiraled out of control, many of it through immigration.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
No, it is not silly. There's been a growing attitude that we don't need farms anymore.

A lot of Americans seem to have the image that food is grown in the back of grocery stores. The increase in dense living disturbs me, because many newer condos don't have room outside for a potted plant, let alone grow a small garden. Should be there real tough times coming, or long-term disaster, these people won't be able to grow anyting.

My brother's farms grow cotton (a demand for it gain), corn, and wheat. Other farms grow melons, tomatoes, etc. . .

I simply cannot fathom the rape of many more farmland.

I'm not sympathetic to the need to house so many people because population has spiraled out of control, many of it through immigration.
Plenty of city centers could stand re-vitalization that apartments, town homes and loft condos can offer without adding to suburban sprawl. In my lifetime I've watched some of the richest farmland (tillable cropland) in Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas disappear under pavement and suburban sprawl.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 AM

So this brings me to my next question.

Which states do you think are experiencing the most of this suburban sprawl?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 AM

947 posts, read 3,275,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
<snip>

I lived in big cities and I''ve traveled a lot in the western half of the US. I don't miss the traffic congestion, the noise or the lights of the city. I miss the convenience when I must drive 160 miles to St. Louis and 35 miles to Wally world. .

Linicx.... very well said. I haven't lived in the Western US much, mainly the midwest and and southeast.. but i agree with you on the small town living there,, exactly why I like small towns.

Where do you live? I am currently in Marion, IL.. which isn't small..but I've lvied in towns of 2000 people or so before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living