U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 AM

28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times

Advertisements

NICEVILLE — Days after the City Council rejected her bid to keep backyard chickens, Ann Hinze moved the brood to a home outside the city limits.

Hinze had received about 10 offers from people who wanted to house her five hens.

Chickens stressed, eggless after forced move | stressed, chickens, eggless - News - Northwest Florida Daily News (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/stressed-31971-chickens-eggless.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
Stress does affect chickens and can cause them to stop laying.

John - any more information on why the city made her relocate the chickens? Did it violate city orndinance? Were there neighbor complaints? It didn't appear that there were any roosters which are normally the problem with backyard flocks.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM

7,942 posts, read 16,467,597 times
City ordinance. Niceville is pretty much a bedroom suburb for Eglin AFB, and farm animals don't fit the image an upscale aspirations the city commission has for the town.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM

So no "farm" type animals of any sort or amount. That's a total letdown. Did they just change the regs out from under her or were they on the books before she got the birds?

I've lived in a few semi-rural outskirts of the 'burbs that let you have a limited amount of smaller livestock animals as "pets". Personally, I think some of the backyard coops these days are pretty cute and upscale... sort of like a kids playhouse. I could see them getting cranky about 100 chickens or some rundown shoddy tarpaper shack-like coop that reeked... but a clean yard, healthy animals and no major smell or noise -- what's the problem???

Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 PM

7,942 posts, read 16,467,597 times
There's a significant urban/rural divide in the county, and there's an attitude that if you want something that seems rural, then you need to go north of I-10 instead of sticking with the urban small cities in the county like Niceville, or else find a place in south county that hasn't been annexed by anyone.

As for urban chickens, I will say I'm militantly anti-urban rooster. Until I was four, I lived in a very urban neighborhood where the folks down the street had a rooster, and apparently my parents were seriously considering Operation Coq Au Vin because the rooster woke up everyone on the street way too early every morning.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 AM

I'm with you there - roosters rank right up with car alarms, barking dogs, leaf blowers and boomboxes (or boomcars nowadays) for irritating noise pollution in urban areas. No roosters in the city limits -- the girls don't need them to make eggs, just babies

Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
Marshall Minnesota (pop 12,000, headquarters of Schwans , university in town ) recently granted back yard chickens with a permit required.

To get the permit, you needed to have the signed approval of all people living within 300 feet of your property.

So far, 4 people tried to get a permit but could not get the approval of neighbors within 300 feet.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM

That's just sad. I wonder if neighbors would be more inclined to agree if people showed them the plans for the coop and run, etc. One could always resort to bribery with eggs But, seriously, a small flock of yard birds does wonders for insect control, provides good compost for gardens, and can even "process" kitchen waste -- for free! I wonder if the neighbors could be swayed by an explanation of the benefits of chickens.

I think even my yard-nazi neighbors back in the Seattle suburbs could have been convinced to allow us a few chickens if the zoning laws permitted them... at least on a trial basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living