U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 PM

239 posts, read 796,239 times

Advertisements

When my parents lived in small town Iowa they were always talking about the differences between the three small to mid sized towns they lived in during the last 20 years of their life.

Town number one had 3000 people and no one would talk to them because they were not born there.

Town number two was 13,000 people and the folks were a bit nicer because everyone did not know each other but it was small enough that life was relatively stress free.

Town number 3 was 35,000 people and this was the best most pleasant group of people. It was small enough that it only took 5 minutes to be out of town and there was a true sense of community, but big enough that 95% lived and worked in town with few long term commuters like the smaller towns. Everyone did not know each other but the neighbors talked and looked out for each other.

In their experience a town of 35,000 had the nicest folks.

What is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,281,955 times
You already know the answer.

Cities are more welcoming to newcomers and they generally don't eat their own.

btw - I don't consider a town of 35,000 to be a city...

Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You already know the answer.

Cities are more welcoming to newcomers and they generally don't eat their own.

btw - A town of 35,000 is not really a city.
To me it is.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,281,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
To me it is.
I've spent most of my adult life split between two cities. One had a population of 250,000 population and the other, 1 million.

Both seemed like a small town to me -- once you find your way around!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,267,301 times
In my experience, size has nothing to do with it. There are nice and nasty big cities, just as there are nice and nasty small towns.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
When my parents lived in small town Iowa they were always talking about the differences between the three small to mid sized towns they lived in during the last 20 years of their life.

Town number one had 3000 people and no one would talk to them because they were not born there.

Town number two was 13,000 people and the folks were a bit nicer because everyone did not know each other but it was small enough that life was relatively stress free.

Town number 3 was 35,000 people and this was the best most pleasant group of people. It was small enough that it only took 5 minutes to be out of town and there was a true sense of community, but big enough that 95% lived and worked in town with few long term commuters like the smaller towns. Everyone did not know each other but the neighbors talked and looked out for each other.

What is your experience?
A town of 3000 in Maine or Vermont could be quite cold to newcomers.

The same sized town in CA would be very welcoming and helpful.

Bottom line-it's not about the size as much about the locale.

I live near a town of 5000 and I am amazed at how welcoming and involved the longtimer are here. Be nice and you are part of the community

Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
I have to agree, it's not the size but the location. We have two very small villages (pop <100) equidistant to us... one is pretty welcoming, the other isn't. Go into the city (+/- 30,000) and things get a little weird... not really welcoming or hostile, just anonymous and vaguely tolerant. But most folks in the state are fairly welcoming unless you're being rude... the only caveat is if you're white going into a native village, but I can understand their less than open arms considering some of the political and cultural crap that's been done to them.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:28 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,584,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A town of 3000 in Maine or Vermont could be quite cold to newcomers.

The same sized town in CA would be very welcoming and helpful.
You're letting your stereotypes show. I've seen lots of small towns in Maine and Vermont that are warm and welcoming. Just as many as I've seen on the West Coast.

It all comes down to the individual community, not location or population.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You're letting your stereotypes show. I've seen lots of small towns in Maine and Vermont that are warm and welcoming. Just as many as I've seen on the West Coast.

It all comes down to the individual community, not location or population.
gotta agree

I have relatives who live in a close in suburb of Minneapolis and their neighborhood sounds much more friendly and welcoming than some of the small towns ( under 1,000 pop ) in central MN.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 AM

11,044 posts, read 10,789,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

What is your experience?
Town of 35,000?

In my estimation, that's a city and well above 10 times my preferred population.

It probably varies by region, but in my neck of the woods, the most welcoming size for the local towns seems to be from around 200 up to maybe 1200. I've spent time in many all over the state. And this is in the middle of the mormon kingdom, where people are supposed to be lepers or vampires... or some alien form of life. Those small, backwoods folks are far more friendly than the people in the metropolitan rat-race in which I now reside.

Spent some time last week in a little town called Sunnyside. It's about 90 miles from hell (my current location) and has approximately 400 people. And, it's around 20 miles down a dead-end road from a highway that's already in the middle of nowhere... Very refreshing! I'm jealous. The best thing about the place is that, unless coal suddenly becomes popular again, it has little chance of becoming another faceless McMansion Magnet. Not one McMansion in the entire town. As I said, VERY refreshing. I could "breathe." If I suddenly were willing to remain in the hot climate of (summers in) Utah, I'd definitely consider moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living