U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,047 posts, read 5,036,877 times
Reputation: 3338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I had a different problem, when I moved into my new house, I got the old phone number of a bail-bondsman, I would get calls from the county jail asking me to come bail them out. When I tried to tell them that I wasn't that person I would get yelled at and threatened. It got pretty funny in the end.
At my first place back in "the day" (about 20 years ago), I ended up getting a phone number that apparently had belonged to a bagel shop which had gone out of business. I would get calls at the crack of dawn from people wanting to order bagels. After I would explain that the place went out of business and I had the misfortune of inheriting their phone number, half of them would call back. Some of them would end up cursing at me or arguing about it. It got to the point I would start taking orders.

Now to get back on topic, which is the reason for bumping this old thread...

I ended up here after doing a search in regards to dealing with mail still coming for the previous owner of my house. I've been here just over a year, so the mail-forwarding period has ended. I am now starting to get mail for the previous owner.

Even when mail-forwarding was in effect, I still got stuff that looked important - insurance renewal documents, etc. I was not given a new address for the previous owner, so I've written "no longer at this address, no forwarding address available, return to sender" on everything that slipped by the mail-forwarding.

The previous owner did me no favors, believe me. That being said, I honestly I have zero motivation to do anything "above and beyond" in regards to this issue. So, I think I am going to just continue as I have been. I did like the idea of using pre-printed labels. I can run a batch through my laser printer and be done with it. Maybe if I see my mail-carrier I'll explain the situation and see what she tells me, or I'll go over to the post office myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 1,804,239 times
Reputation: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
At my first place back in "the day" (about 20 years ago), I ended up getting a phone number that apparently had belonged to a bagel shop which had gone out of business. I would get calls at the crack of dawn from people wanting to order bagels. After I would explain that the place went out of business and I had the misfortune of inheriting their phone number, half of them would call back. Some of them would end up cursing at me or arguing about it. It got to the point I would start taking orders.

Now to get back on topic, which is the reason for bumping this old thread...

I ended up here after doing a search in regards to dealing with mail still coming for the previous owner of my house. I've been here just over a year, so the mail-forwarding period has ended. I am now starting to get mail for the previous owner.

Even when mail-forwarding was in effect, I still got stuff that looked important - insurance renewal documents, etc. I was not given a new address for the previous owner, so I've written "no longer at this address, no forwarding address available, return to sender" on everything that slipped by the mail-forwarding.

The previous owner did me no favors, believe me. That being said, I honestly I have zero motivation to do anything "above and beyond" in regards to this issue. So, I think I am going to just continue as I have been. I did like the idea of using pre-printed labels. I can run a batch through my laser printer and be done with it. Maybe if I see my mail-carrier I'll explain the situation and see what she tells me, or I'll go over to the post office myself.
Just opt out of the postal delivery system. I am in the process of doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,454 posts, read 43,293,594 times
Reputation: 44120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Just opt out of the postal delivery system. I am in the process of doing that.

If you're doing that, and from reading some of your posts I have the feeling you have this idea, in order to not pay taxes or other bills, it won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 73,628,153 times
Reputation: 27598
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're doing that, and from reading some of your posts I have the feeling you have this idea, in order to not pay taxes or other bills, it won't work.
Starve the beast.
Grassroots movement.

USPS makes their money off of junk mail.
I could stop the mail tomorrow because I get no important mail anymore.
Family has moved to online cards. All my financial stuff is online and emailed to me.
I do all my payments except for one via internet.
Most of my deliveries are UPS/Fedex.

What my mailbox is full of is junk mail.
I left DirectTV over 10 years ago and am still getting weekly "Please come back" letters.
And I've moved and they found me !

I check the mailbox once a week and bring a plastic bag with me and put that bag right in the trash can which is also at the end of the driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:29 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,454 posts, read 43,293,594 times
Reputation: 44120
You're not recycling?

As far as "starving the beast" goes, claiming that your house can't be foreclosed upon because you stopped your mail deliveries and never received the notice doesn't work.

I am fascinated by everyone who claims they get nothing but "junk mail". Unless the definition you have is different than mine.
Today I got (remember, no home delivery so it's a PO box) a couple bills, a couple bank letters, a newspaper and a Christmas catalogue from a company Mrs. NBP uses.

Yesterday was similar except there was an unsolicited credit card offer. Which I consider "junk".

Wednesday was a couple catalogues, again from companies I/we do business with, a birthday card for one of the kids and the Pennysaver. The last I consider "junk".

Hardly enough "junk mail" to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,047 posts, read 5,036,877 times
Reputation: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As far as "starving the beast" goes, claiming that your house can't be foreclosed upon because you stopped your mail deliveries and never received the notice doesn't work.
Seriously? People actually try that?

They had constables serve you the papers where I used to live. I saw a neighbor get served their foreclosure notice one day when I came home from work for lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,048 posts, read 3,965,261 times
Reputation: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Starve the beast.
Grassroots movement.

USPS makes their money off of junk mail.
I could stop the mail tomorrow because I get no important mail anymore.
Family has moved to online cards. All my financial stuff is online and emailed to me.
I do all my payments except for one via internet.
Most of my deliveries are UPS/Fedex.

What my mailbox is full of is junk mail.
I left DirectTV over 10 years ago and am still getting weekly "Please come back" letters.
And I've moved and they found me !

I check the mailbox once a week and bring a plastic bag with me and put that bag right in the trash can which is also at the end of the driveway.
Strange. I get mail that is important.

Where I live you can renew your license plate by mail or in person. The problem of doing it in person is I'd have to drive 20 miles and they are only open something like 8-4. Much simpler to just mail it and have it mailed back to me. Online won't work.

Likewise, I get an annual statement for taxes due on my house by mail. Don't want to miss that. Also my (one) credit card is renewed periodically and I do want the latest one.

I also do get letters and cards from friends and relatives.

And we do a lot of online shopping (generally, Amazon) and much of that is delivered by the post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM
 
2,295 posts, read 1,804,239 times
Reputation: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're doing that, and from reading some of your posts I have the feeling you have this idea, in order to not pay taxes or other bills, it won't work.
I get all bills online, file taxes online as well, property taxes are easy enough to obtain through website and pay online. Just fail to see why we are not moving forward, by letting those of us, who choose not to be in the mail system opt out.

Maybe the postal service can require that you leave an email address as a forwarding address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,416 posts, read 8,005,457 times
Reputation: 18863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
At my first place back in "the day" (about 20 years ago), I ended up getting a phone number that apparently had belonged to a bagel shop which had gone out of business. I would get calls at the crack of dawn from people wanting to order bagels. After I would explain that the place went out of business and I had the misfortune of inheriting their phone number, half of them would call back. Some of them would end up cursing at me or arguing about it. It got to the point I would start taking orders.

Now to get back on topic, which is the reason for bumping this old thread...

I ended up here after doing a search in regards to dealing with mail still coming for the previous owner of my house. I've been here just over a year, so the mail-forwarding period has ended. I am now starting to get mail for the previous owner.

Even when mail-forwarding was in effect, I still got stuff that looked important - insurance renewal documents, etc. I was not given a new address for the previous owner, so I've written "no longer at this address, no forwarding address available, return to sender" on everything that slipped by the mail-forwarding.

The previous owner did me no favors, believe me. That being said, I honestly I have zero motivation to do anything "above and beyond" in regards to this issue. So, I think I am going to just continue as I have been. I did like the idea of using pre-printed labels. I can run a batch through my laser printer and be done with it. Maybe if I see my mail-carrier I'll explain the situation and see what she tells me, or I'll go over to the post office myself.
Wow! Why not just write MLNA. Look at the ink you'd save!

Legend: Moved Left No Address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
3,047 posts, read 5,036,877 times
Reputation: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Wow! Why not just write MLNA. Look at the ink you'd save!

Legend: Moved Left No Address
Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top