U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM

30 posts, read 47,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Most any of the communities immediately surrounding Nashville has some high end areas...there's more money in Nashville than a lot of people realize.

Not country Davidson County, which includes Nashville and one of the richest communities in the nation, Belle Meade (Al Gore's home, dontcha know), the ones that are generally high end are communities in Williamson County such as Franklin and Brentwood. I'm much more familiar with the southern and eastern side of Davidson County, so I can't really speak to the other sides. In general, greater Nashville spills over into the surrounding counties as well. Personally, for country living and cost of living, I'd get a little more separation between me and Nashville.

You could get much more specific answers about the broader middle Tennessee area and other parts of TN by posting your questions in the Tennessee forum.
Be aware that there are "three Tennessees" (thus the three stars on the state flag)--western, middle and eastern TN, each with their own geographic characteristics. Generally speaking, western TN is flat with Memphis as the main city; middle TN is hilly and gets hillier and higher the further east you go with Nashville the hub city; and eastern Tn is the hilliest and has actual mountains, with Knoxville as main city. Economically, Middle TN is generally the better off, and has been for some time, although each area has pockets of good and bad.
Didn't know he lived there, don't pay attention to Gore-bal Warming at all.
I'll post over there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,780,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
You'll find that in general, the South has property taxes among the lowest in the nation. There is one county I know of in TN that has a reputation for high property taxes in the state--Williamson, just south of Nashville. But it's becoming less and less rural on just about a daily basis.

Alabama has very low property taxes as well, but they do have a state income tax.
You'd still have to deal with some snow/ice but the Ozark Mtns of N. Arkansas are beautiful and has the specific population concentrations you may be seeking.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM

28,905 posts, read 47,370,386 times
I would consider places like Guntersville, AL. The mountains of North Carolina. North Georgia and Tennessee.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

I'll look into both areas, thanks!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times
I like Guntersville...country is pretty much like Middle Tennessee with the added bonus of Alabama's even lower property taxes. (However, there is a state income tax.) Great fishing in one of the nation's best bass fisheries.

30 minutes more or less from the larger city (last I saw around 180,000) of Huntsville, AL, home of Space Camp, NASA and countless engineers. The kind of place that if you ever ask anyone "What are you, some kind of rocket scientist?" good odds are they'll say "Yes. Yes, I am."

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

I can deal with some income tax. How big is the Huntsville Metropolitan area? If you could call it that?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,905,675 times
The census bureau lumps Huntsville into what is called a Combined Statistical area (a smaller metro area, really) with Decatur, AL. Decatur is on the other side of Huntsville from Decatur.

According to them the area has a population a little over 557,000 people, growing a little over 14% since 2000. That includes much of the population in three counties--Madison, Limestone and Morgan counties.

This link has the top 125 CSAs in the nation listed--may be of some help to you...

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living