U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,067 times

Advertisements

There are no phones (land or cell), virtually no radio (only emergency channel weakly repeated from the local air strip), and no television (air or cable) where we're at. I couldn't build a tower tall enough to pick up any of those since there are some pretty big mountains between us and the nearest transmitters.

The only way we can have voice communications (other than CB/Ham), internet, radio or television is to have satellite. We run our satellite off our small battery system, and the dish is currently attached to our tent platform. Without it, we'd have no outside communications at all. During some weird atmospherics (aurora borealis or storms) we'll lose signal or signal strength, but it's right back up there in a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,071,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
There are no phones (land or cell), virtually no radio (only emergency channel weakly repeated from the local air strip), and no television (air or cable) where we're at. I couldn't build a tower tall enough to pick up any of those since there are some pretty big mountains between us and the nearest transmitters.

The only way we can have voice communications (other than CB/Ham), internet, radio or television is to have satellite. We run our satellite off our small battery system, and the dish is currently attached to our tent platform. Without it, we'd have no outside communications at all. During some weird atmospherics (aurora borealis or storms) we'll lose signal or signal strength, but it's right back up there in a few minutes.
We hope you are not living in that tent year round !... satellite phones are also available. there are so many parts of the world where the only real connections are made this way, its a real advancement in communications. I have had sat sercices for over 25 years in several forms, its done me well, no real complaints , other than the Internet service being so slow. I am sure glad cell service is close by for the air card works quite well here in Upper Michigan, near Lake Superior.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM

Yes, we've lived in the wall tent this whole past year... even through winter when it was below -40!

Sat phones are available, but way more expensive than satellite internet with a telephony application like Skype. We have a cell phone, because so many places require you to have a phone number, but it's a pay-as-you-go one because we don't get reception until we're almost in the city anyway (3-4 hours). There is one place, about 30 minutes from here, where you can get one bar if you climb the overlook and stand just so when the clouds are just right to get a signal bounce.

Every now and then, atmospherics are right and we can pick up Russian stations. And every so often the private/gov't oil pipeline repeaters go wonky and allow public cell access for a few minutes. But nothing reliable

Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,309,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Thank you for that info.

I knew a --40 foot limit--sounded quite far fetched.
This may have been a LURC requirement as my building permit paperwork states that I am not allowed to go over that height.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 AM

174 posts, read 531,214 times
No cable out here and my trees are too high for sattelite/dish. Happily, I get DSL and so can get netflix streamed to my TV. I use a ROKU, but you can use your X-Box or playstation. More and more titles are available for instant download so, for the price of my netflix subscription, I get commercial free movies and tv shows whenever I want. It's way, way cheaper than cable or dish.

Now when I can figure out how to hook up HULU to all the sets, I'll be ecstatic.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
No cable out here and my trees are too high for sattelite/dish. Happily, I get DSL and so can get netflix streamed to my TV. I use a ROKU, but you can use your X-Box or playstation. More and more titles are available for instant download so, for the price of my netflix subscription, I get commercial free movies and tv shows whenever I want. It's way, way cheaper than cable or dish.

Now when I can figure out how to hook up HULU to all the sets, I'll be ecstatic.
In most places in the Country DSL is a rare option if you live in a rural area.
The distance from the source can not be very far. Even people who live in small cities can not get DSL if they are too far way from city center.

I have found that the air cards/wireless connections are faster and not anymore expensive. I pay 60.00 a month for myFi connection, and I am 4 miles out in the woods from the city limits. Really no need to have a land line anymore ether.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM

We also stream movies and TV shows from Netflix. You don't have to have any special equipment, they'll play right in the browser. Only issue is the FAP restriction on our satellite connection, we can only watch videos during "magic hour" (non-peak) when we have unrestricted download bandwidth. Some of the streaming radio stations aren't compressed well, so we can exceed FAP just having the music play if we aren't paying attention. Same goes for YouTube and other video/audio sites with large files. It's a pain sometimes, but you get used to it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We also stream movies and TV shows from Netflix. You don't have to have any special equipment, they'll play right in the browser. Only issue is the FAP restriction on our satellite connection, we can only watch videos during "magic hour" (non-peak) when we have unrestricted download bandwidth. Some of the streaming radio stations aren't compressed well, so we can exceed FAP just having the music play if we aren't paying attention. Same goes for YouTube and other video/audio sites with large files. It's a pain sometimes, but you get used to it.
We have those problem with air card/wireless also. YouTube is the worst.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,295,040 times
Thanks for the input, y'all. Since there are too many posts to quote, I'll just answer y'all in this post without.

I can't stand watching TV on the computer. It doesn't feel right. It just stinks. Internet? Streaming? Forget it. Everything about it stinks. Give me a real TV station, not a monitor over the web.

I don't watch TV all that often, but I do need to watch the local news and reports. Once in a while, to relax. No dice on radio, hence the necessity for TV broadcasting.

I guess satellite is the only option if I can't get reception from a monstrous aluminum antenna. or go without. Kinda hard when small town newspapers are dropping faster than jobs in this country.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Thanks for the input, y'all. Since there are too many posts to quote, I'll just answer y'all in this post without.

I can't stand watching TV on the computer. It doesn't feel right. It just stinks. Internet? Streaming? Forget it. Everything about it stinks. Give me a real TV station, not a monitor over the web.

I don't watch TV all that often, but I do need to watch the local news and reports. Once in a while, to relax. No dice on radio, hence the necessity for TV broadcasting.

I guess satellite is the only option if I can't get reception from a monstrous aluminum antenna. or go without. Kinda hard when small town newspapers are dropping faster than jobs in this country.
We get all the local TV stations on the Sat. now , so that problem is solved. I think its a federal requirement these days, they can't block you out from local like before. The Cable Companies fought that one....hopefully they have lost forever on all the restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living