U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 PM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
We get all the local TV stations on the Sat. now , so that problem is solved. I think its a federal requirement these days, they can't block you out from local like before. The Cable Companies fought that one....hopefully they have lost forever on all the restrictions.
Oh yes they can block you. I'm in western Kentucky, about 50 miles from Paducah, which has an NBC affiliate and about 85 miles from Nashville, Tn. What local channels do we get on Dish? (And Directv from what I've heard) We get Nashville! I went to cable so I can get the Paducah TV station. If I want news from this area I watch Paducah. None of the Nashville stations will hardly cover anything north of the Ky/Tenn line. Not only do they have Nashville but Dish AND cable both have an ABC affiliate out of Evansville, In which is about 100 miles away. Dish called us...again to try to get us to switch back. "Do you have Paducah for our area?" "Federal law won't let us still". "Then I'll stick to cable".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,829,256 times
Just put up a proper antenna, one rated up to "red" in terms of range on AntennaWeb - amazingly better picture, and I have not done a really good job of aiming it yet - just pointed in the general direction of the transmitters and plugged it in.

Around here with the wind you have to compromise between "big enough to get a good signal" and "small enough not to blow down/around".

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM

8,629 posts, read 14,073,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Oh yes they can block you. I'm in western Kentucky, about 50 miles from Paducah, which has an NBC affiliate and about 85 miles from Nashville, Tn. What local channels do we get on Dish? (And Directv from what I've heard) We get Nashville! I went to cable so I can get the Paducah TV station. If I want news from this area I watch Paducah. None of the Nashville stations will hardly cover anything north of the Ky/Tenn line. Not only do they have Nashville but Dish AND cable both have an ABC affiliate out of Evansville, In which is about 100 miles away. Dish called us...again to try to get us to switch back. "Do you have Paducah for our area?" "Federal law won't let us still". "Then I'll stick to cable".
Its just a matter of time...eventually it will get worked out. This story has been playing out all over the Country....the Cable folks are trying to hold on , in a new world that will be wireless, they just have not givin up yet.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Got DISH out here in rural central Minnesota.

We only lose a signal in a severe thunderstorm and then only for a few minutes.

Their customer service is terriffic !

You get to talk to a real person and they will patiently " walk you" through whatever problem you have for as long as it takes.

Great company to do business with !
I'll one-up you. We have a great local Cable company (co-op) that provides Digital Cable, phone service and High Speed DSL. That's in North Central MN. Thier customer service is terriffic of course and they can try to help you patiently over the phone. Chances are I know them anyways. Oh and if you need install or a field tech one will be out later that day, not in two weeks between 8:00 am and Noon or something like that.

By the way - without dish or cable, we'd be lucky to pull in ONE channel. That's it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM

If you have cable available, I guess you are in a small town maybe but not what I would call "rural" anyway.

Maybe we are the only ones that the digital switchover worked out well for - I don't know. But we definitely get more sub-channels, and for the most part a better picture than we did analog.

People don't much remember the old-school video and electronics geeks who had fairly large to huge antenna on dedicated masts. Most of these guys were doing HAM as well, but would frequently put a TV antenna with a rotator so they could get signals from various nearby towns. Of course a rotator only makes sense if you have more than one signal source direction viable. For us it's Yakima or nothing, all at azimuth 291 to 293, if I can trust AntennaWeb.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you have cable available, I guess you are in a small town maybe but not what I would call "rural" anyway.
Small is in 600 or so. 20 minute drive to the nearest town of 3000 to shop at Walmart or an hour and a half to drive to a "City" of 13,000.

Nothing urban going on here.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
We have about 250 in our township.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM

So how far away are the transmitter you guys are trying to get? Ours are only about 50 miles away, fairly flat country between us and them. I would guess a 20 minute drive means roughly 20 miles or less, hour and a half might be 70 to 90 miles?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:52 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
As a crow flies we are only about 40 miles from a transmitter. The websites that list licensed transmitters list many that are not transmitting. But I think there is one still transmitting at that location. We are in a general dead-zone. The freeway runs along the border of our township, though we have no on-ramp. To have cellphone coverage for the freeway, they put up a cellphone repeater tower in the center of town to cover this dead-zone.

It is not always about distance, soil composition effects radio wave transmission.

In the case of cellphone companies wanting to make the claim that they cover 'all' of the interstate freeways, they must put towers in each dead-zone. But in other areas where signals travel for many miles, not so much.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
Yes, you may get 2-3 bars on your phone right when you're in the freeway corridor, but go a mile or two away and you're dead again. I had this happen a lot driving cross-country... the truck stop on the interstate had cell service, but the mom & pop gas station a few blocks away on main street was in a dead zone. The phone companies don't want to "waste money" putting towers up where there isn't enough "business" to justify the expense and maintenance... highway coverage drives up sales since people think they're getting a good deal, but the 600 folks in "Yella Holler" don't represent enough cash to make it on their spreadsheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living