U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:19 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times

Advertisements

I'm in a small town but never that far away from a response to a 911 call. We have a local police department with one full time cop. Very little happens that requires rapid response, Fire and First Responder will get there in minutes. If the County Sherriff is being dispatched (local off-duty) it can be fifteen to twenty minutes or so, best bet would be to report a fire. As luck would have it there is little to no crime in my neighborhood. No lock on my doors and keys to car are in there typically.

Most residents in this area are Hunters, and there for are armed to the hilt. Guess you better pick your victums carefully if you are a criminal.

Those living in Alaska are in a completely different ball park a whole other world from what the rest of us experience. Respose of hours or days? You better be armed - I would even if there is no crime, because there is plenty of nature to watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I'm in a small town but never that far away from a response to a 911 call. We have a local police department with one full time cop. Very little happens that requires rapid response, Fire and First Responder will get there in minutes. If the County Sherriff is being dispatched (local off-duty) it can be fifteen to twenty minutes or so, best bet would be to report a fire. As luck would have it there is little to no crime in my neighborhood. No lock on my doors and keys to car are in there typically.

Most residents in this area are Hunters, and there for are armed to the hilt. Guess you better pick your victums carefully if you are a criminal.

Those living in Alaska are in a completely different ball park a whole other world from what the rest of us experience. Respose of hours or days? You better be armed - I would even if there is no crime, because there is plenty of nature to watch out for.
Don't mean to criticize your post, but your town sits on a highway ( 71) which runs fron the Canadian border all the way to the Mexican border.

To not lock your house is foolish.

My cousin and her 2 teenage children lived in a town farther south on 71 .
She , also, believed her town was safe.

One night 2 guys from Minneapolis needed gas money.
They drove to a quiet residental area and chrecked the doors on 2 houses late at night.

They were locked, they are alive.

My cousin never locked her house. All 3 were slaughtered and had their throats cut after the feemale teen was raped.

When there is a major highway going thru your small town, you have no idea who is passing thru your town ( or stopping in your town)

Please lock your house door at night !

Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,580,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I wonder how rural people and Johnny Law deal with robberies/burglaries? I know some of them like to hit rural areas because the law will take very long to respond meanwhile the robbers escape with ease.

I suffered that. Came home to a empty house and found things missing, some things scattered, and knew most if was punk kid stuff, as much if was junk jewelry, some a bit better in gold of my wife of the time, but nothing of real value.

However i felt very invaded of my space and was worried that who ever might return when my now x and child were there.

Since it was winter with deep snow, finding tracks were not a problem.

The tracks led into the back yard, down a steep bank, across the brook and ended with snow machine tracks.

I went and got the local snow machine tech, and he told me what kind of machine it was which was relitively rare in town. I called the cops, and told them what i was old, and the cops took me to that house.

The kid answered the door holding a hand full of our stuff, not too smart.

The kids folks were home too, and they sure didn't like what theirb kid had done so the cop asked if i wanted to press charges, i said no but got our stuff. I figured that kids folks were all I needed. They were smokin mad.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM

37,143 posts, read 43,070,821 times
County sheriff's deputies were never too far away. But in decades of rural living, I never had the need to call the police even once.

Home invasions were virtually nonexistent in the area where I grew up, even though people rarely locked their doors. I suppose the reasons why included the fact that most farms come complete with dogs and shotguns. There have to be easier places to rob.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Don't mean to criticize your post, but your town sits on a highway ( 71) which runs fron the Canadian border all the way to the Mexican border.

To not lock your house is foolish.

My cousin and her 2 teenage children lived in a town farther south on 71 .
She , also, believed her town was safe.

One night 2 guys from Minneapolis needed gas money.
They drove to a quiet residental area and chrecked the doors on 2 houses late at night.

They were locked, they are alive.

My cousin never locked her house. All 3 were slaughtered and had their throats cut after the feemale teen was raped.

When there is a major highway going thru your small town, you have no idea who is passing thru your town ( or stopping in your town)

Please lock your house door at night !
Ok - yes a Highway runs through it. A two lane highway. Town closes at 10:00 pm when the two gas stations close. So if someone is looking for gas money it will do them no good.

Besides, my dog will alert us the second someone is lurking. In the event that someone wanders off of Highway 71, decides that my house looks attractive for an invasion, I'll be ready and waiting.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
---a two lane highway----

By the way, those 2 murderers did pass thru your sleepy little town 2 days earlier.

They had killed an elderly woman in Minneapolis and took a trip up to visit an old girlfriend west of Park Rapids.

After she left to go buy birthday supplies for her kid, they stayed back and stole everything they could.

Luckily, they passed thru Sebeka in the daytime and had gas money from their recent robbery.

Anyone living in a town with a major highway passing thru it and failing to even lock their doors at night is a fool.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
Basically it the rural that makes the meth labs chose them. Bascailly rural areas are commonly served by sheriffs whose first duty is to run the county jail which is what people in the cites get form paying their taxes to support them. But of course rural araes have less crime as they don;t have the people. But really it just a growing fact that shreiffs are more and mroe over burdened as are the city police.When in had a place in a rural areas we didn't even bother to repost many thefts that were minor and such things that would commonly be reported in a city.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,804,062 times
My rural area is being put to the test this weekend. A convicted serial killer is being paroleed to our county. Our county is the size of New Hampshire, with only 23 sheriff deputies. Response times to the outlying areas of our county are 45 minutes or longer. Calif. should have paroleed this guy to a county with more law enforcement resources. Better yet, the detectives that arrested him should not have violated his rights, which is why the courts overturned his life sentence and let him out.

Herzog arrives in Susanville; free to roam on Saturday | News10.net | Sacramento, California | Local News

Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,170,593 times
I live in a fairly remote rural area. Things i noticed. Rural areas do have crimes but most are local folks who are doing it. When arrested half the town comes to their defense even if they were cought on the 6 oclock news video doing the deed. Few if anyone from outside the area commit crime, its just too far and they pass many places that are easier so why risk going out where you standout when you can stay closer to the city and have more pickings.

The Sheriff Office response time is from 5 hours to 5 seconds, all depends where they are when the call comes in. They could be miles away, or down the road. You don't call them for the little stuff that is handled locally by just talking to the person.

Most people have dogs and dogs are like the gas station bells. A car comes down the road, you hear barking. Can't sneak up on folks with barking dogs.

Many people own guns. Most can't rememeber were it is, many probably forgot they own it, lots have not been touched in years, and some don't even have ammunition for it. Rural folks kinda laugh at the idea that everyone runs out with a scatter gun ready to defense life and home. Most times the gun does no good because out in the country, the person you need to use it against is family or friend. Joe City boy is not invading the homes, it's Bobby's oldest kid who is also the usher at church out having fun with the other kids or he's drunk.

The only scary thing, and this is new to us, are criminals setting up shop. Meth labs, drug distribution, chop shops, fencing rings. They use the country because they can see what is going on way before they could in the city. They also know that so long as they keep themself clean, come to the Fourth of July picnic, have their face seen at church, and have a NRA emblem on their cars, nobody would ever think of them as being criminals. They get arrested for being part of a Murder for hire ring, and everyone will act dumbfounded and say they can't be quilty they belong to the NRA.

I bet half the crime in my county is the local folks drinking too much or just living that down and out style life. The rest is family inbreed fighting over some girl. Few crimes come from outside the community. The joke around here is the Sheriff doesn't have a mug shot book, they use the Jr High School yearbooks.

But, compared to the city or large towns, crime is not a daily or even weekly occurance. When it does it becomes a big deal just because its rare and give people something to talk about for the next year. We still have people talking about the great easter attempted kidnapping of 1974.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Normally our county sheriff deputies made a drive through our township once a week. So does a game warden.

Our town borders a town that does have it's own PD, but they do not leave their jurisdiction.

It is my understanding that usually a deputy will respond the following day after you make a call.

I called once, I noticed a car had slid off the road and was in the ditch on my land. The car was abandoned, nobody in sight. I waited a day to see if anyone as going to come and get it, before I called the police. They came the following day, and said it had been stolen down in Mass.

Reading the local weekly newspaper, it seems that game wardens here commonly show up instead of regular LEOs.

The culture here is that EVERYONE hunts and has firearms. I do see openly display firearms in vehicles.

And I think that nearly every home has dogs. We have a large boxer and a wolf-mix husky.

While I have heard of 'SSS' [Shoot it, Shovel it, Shut up about it], I would never do such a thing. [I hate digging with a shovel, I have a backhoe]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living