U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times

Advertisements

Most times you don't even need to waste ammo, just the sound of chambering a round or pulling the hammer back is enough to make most ne'er-do-wells soil their drawers. Ain't psychology great?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 02:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,377,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Marmac, In reply to you post, a warning shot over the head usually does it, then the word gets around.
You better be good with that gun then, shooting over someone's head can very easily result in shooting someone in the head, if you're not proficient with your firearm. This is especially true if its a shotgun, depending on the range and pattern, 4 balls of 00 to the forehead may not make a happy day.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,764,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Marmac, In reply to you post, a warning shot over the head usually does it, then the word gets around.

Never fire a "warning shot". If one has to pull the trigger with the muzzle of a firearm anywhere in the vicinity of being aimed at another human being it better darn well be in self-defense of immediate use of lethal force by the perpatrator/trespasser.

What goes up must come down. Responsible gun owners do not shoot projectiles in the air without a known backstop.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,760,033 times
Which is why people who own lethel wepons need to know how to use 'em. If you have a weapon in the home it is your responsibility to know how to use that weapon and not trust to luck. Yes, I know my weapon and it's capabilities. I took a lot of classes and put a lot of lead downrange to learn.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
Like I say, 99% of the people in the country never use their guns because they were told never point it at your family. I don't think in the last year there was even 1 case of a crime at someones property not involving other local folks, family or friends. I don't see criminals coming out to the country, I see locals doing the bad deed.

What is funny is the person whose house is the most protected and has no fear of anyone breaking in is that guy who moved from NY and looks spanish because everyone is watching his house to see when the hords of ilegals come runing out of the bushes to his barn. If a crimianl tried to sneak up to his house, the sheriff would get dozens of calls about illegals haveing invaded the area. I think the guy is retired prosecutor from NY or NJ.

if you live in the country and what to protect you house from criminals, put up a sign in arabic and your property will be watched 24 hours a day.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM

31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Like I say, 99% of the people in the country never use their guns because they were told never point it at your family. I don't think in the last year there was even 1 case of a crime at someones property not involving other local folks, family or friends. I don't see criminals coming out to the country, I see locals doing the bad deed.

What is funny is the person whose house is the most protected and has no fear of anyone breaking in is that guy who moved from NY and looks spanish because everyone is watching his house to see when the hords of ilegals come runing out of the bushes to his barn. If a crimianl tried to sneak up to his house, the sheriff would get dozens of calls about illegals haveing invaded the area. I think the guy is retired prosecutor from NY or NJ.

if you live in the country and what to protect you house from criminals, put up a sign in arabic and your property will be watched 24 hours a day.
Are you suggesting that locals will sit in their cars in front of your house to watch you?

Why would anyone wish to expend so much effort on such a project?

If you lived in a city, where houses are packed in tight with each other. Then each neighbor can look outside and see other houses. They would be able to see your house from their house. But that would only happen in a fairly urban environment.

Out in the country, when houses are a mile or more apart, I just do not see this happening.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Are you suggesting that locals will sit in their cars in front of your house to watch you?

Why would anyone wish to expend so much effort on such a project?

If you lived in a city, where houses are packed in tight with each other. Then each neighbor can look outside and see other houses. They would be able to see your house from their house. But that would only happen in a fairly urban environment.

Out in the country, when houses are a mile or more apart, I just do not see this happening.
Did you hear the Fred beat the crap out of Alice a couple days ago?
No, you got to be kidding me, never saw anything.

So, Ralph's boy flipped the car on Route 12 last Friday?
Really, drove that road Friday and never heard or saw any thing on Friday.

That was a heck of fire out at the Neils place.
Fire, what fire?

What do you think of the new paint job on Gail's house?
Gail painted the house? Never noticed?

Bill replaced the old chain link with a rail fence.
I pay no attention to other peoples fences.

So, I heard Jose had a visitor.
Yeah it was a rented cadillac.
A guy and girl dressed nicly, city cloths
They stayed for almost 3 hours
Maria also bought new sheets from Bed-Mart last Tuesday.
She paid cash!
Found a empty bottle of rum in their trash.
They left the house at 9am on Wednesday.
Didn't get back until 4:07 pm.
Jose's been in the barn a lot.
Maria's been in the garden a little too much.
They got a UPS deliver yesterday around eleven.
Packaged seem heavy didn't it?
Wonder what's in it?
Wonder who sent it.
Can't tell from the photo I took what it is?
Let's check the garbage.
You know they are spanish?
We need to let the Sheriff know about the package.
Yeah, but don't raise suspicion or they might run just in case they are illegal.

By the way, heard the Fontano kids were arrested for dealing meth at the school.
Really, never noticed anything.

Yep, country living!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 PM

31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:

Fire, what fire?

She paid cash!
Wonder what's in it?
Wonder who sent it.
Let's check the garbage.
Yeah, but don't raise suspicion or they might run just in case they are illegal.

By the way, heard the Fontano kids were arrested for dealing meth at the school.

Yep, country living!
???

I dont follow you here.

You give examples of things that would be said if you lived in a city, then follow it by saying 'country living'?

Clearly NOT!

Sarcasm perhaps?

Projecting if country folks lived in a city?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Quote:

Fire, what fire?

She paid cash!
Wonder what's in it?
Wonder who sent it.
Let's check the garbage.

Yep, country living!

Lots of that does go on in rural areas.

There is a joke that a farmer has so many corn fields he can't drive around and check on them all. Instead he stops at the local coffee shop to get the lowdown on how his corn is doing.

Yup all of rural Amerioca isn't remote areas ( despite the fact that the many posters here live in remote areas)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,901,561 times
Used to live in a county where there were no deputies on duty from 1 a.m. till 5 a.m. The county only had two any way.

Most issues you can handle yourself. If it's an issue that truly requires 911, you know, the EMERGENCY number, then it's an emergency and you'll probably have to handle it yourself. Fortunately, the place I'm in now gets guys there more quickly, you know, in time to water down the embers, or possibly find out the guy they need to be looking for is still in the same county.

In all the years I've been in the sticks, I've only used a weapon once for home protection...to hold a guy that tried to break in our house at night when we were home. Stupidity. If he had just run, I wouldn't have shot a fleeing man, but I made him believe otherwise. Actually made him wet his pants. Even if he had gotten up from where I had made him lie face-down outside with his arms outstretched, just gotten up and walked off, I wouldn't have shot him, and I sure didn't want to get in a wrestling match with him. In other words, he'd have gotten away from me. If he had come toward me, I'd have shot him in a heartbeat.

So, yeah, you take care of what you have to. Avoid if you can what you can't handle. And use some common sense so you lessen your odds of needing 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living