U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,675,171 times

Advertisements

<<<<<<<<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post

In a town of 15,000 you know pretty much everyone in 2 years, you'll definitely know who to steer clear of. It probably has several gas stations, grocery stores, hardware and other shops, but only one library and post office, one school at each level (2 elem, 1-middle, 1-high).

In a town of 5,000 you're lucky to have a gas station/convenience store; .................... Your kids get up very early as they have an hour ride on the bus to a regional middle/high school.

In a town of 1,000 there's three families everyone is related to, better hope they all like you.

I'm from a village with only 6 houses and a peat bog...I emigrated first chance I got.
>>>>>>>>>

Depends on where you live. You must be out east or near many other larger towns, or at least not in a rural area.

Our town of 6800 has 5 gas stations, all of which have convenience shops. Two are open 24/7. One is a truck stop.

There are 2 grocery stores (but surprisingly they both get their stuff from the same wholesaler, so both have the same stuff). There's 3 big wholesalers 60 miles away so I've never understood why both get from the same place. We have 2 hardware stores, 3 lumber yards, 2 clothing stores, 2 second hand shops, 1 shoe store, 4 national chain fast food places, 2 farm implement dealers, 2 new/used car lots & 2 used car places. 2 junkyards, 3 banks and a credit union, and 1 each of an elementary, middle, and high school as well as a tech school and a college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,582,236 times
Quote:
In a town of 30,000 you pretty much know everyone in 5 years, some of them you might know enough to avoid but you can make lots of friends. It probably has several gas stations, grocery stores, hardware and other shops, more than one post office, library and school.

In a town of 15,000 you know pretty much everyone in 2 years, you'll definitely know who to steer clear of. It probably has several gas stations, grocery stores, hardware and other shops, but only one library and post office, one school at each level (2 elem, 1-middle, 1-high).

In a town of 5,000 you're lucky to have a gas station/convenience store; you'll know who's feuding with who, who's sleeping with who, who has a bunch of DUI's and needs a ride, who might burglarize your house if you go away on vacation (yes, they're watching), and you'll have a hard time getting contractors because there isn't enough business there to make up for the travel time. Your kids get up very early as they have an hour ride on the bus to a regional middle/high school.

In a town of 1,000 there's three families everyone is related to, better hope they all like you.

I'm from a village with only 6 houses and a peat bog...I emigrated first chance I got.
What a load. Even in the Northeast there are plenty of towns around 5000 (and smaller) in population that have complete downtowns and most things you need.

My town of 1200 has 4 gas stations (all 24/7), a bank, 2 hardware stores, 3 restaurants, 4 public school buildings (2 elementary, 1 middle, 1 high), a college, fire department, police department, library, post office and all the typical storefronts you would expect to see (including a butcher/meat market).
The town I left in Maine had 600 people with 2 gas stations, grocery store, convenience store, restaurant, library, post office, and 2 school buildings (one was k-8, the other was the High school).
My wife grew up in Mass in a town of 2500 (Pepperell) that has all the above as well (they go to North Middlesex high School which is a bit out of town).
My brother lives in NH in a town of 1800 (Winchester) that has everything you could need also.

Suburbs of 5000 might not have those things, but most real towns do.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 AM

549 posts, read 1,882,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

Depends on where you live. You must be out east or near many other larger towns, or at least not in a rural area.
Here's today's news article about the town which is the county seat of the county I live in, population @20,000. They've been trying for 17 years to get a big box store and haven't yet.

Will Greenfield get a Big Box store? | WWLP.com

I'm not interested in big box stores, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Walmart. Some of you may need to travel more and see other parts of the country though.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM

11,044 posts, read 10,788,575 times
You're the one saying small towns with amenities don't exist, and you've just gotten several responses from folks who live in small towns that do. Just because you've never seen a black swan, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

So who needs to see other parts of the country?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,582,236 times
Quote:
Some of you may need to travel more and see other parts of the country though.
This is the second time you've told people they should get out and see more of the Country. From your responses here though I think it is you who needs to get out more. I've spent at least 2 week in 47 of the 50 States and can assure you, your views and post are not even close to accurate. Just because the place you live doesn't have some things doesn't mean every other place is like it. Get out and look around more.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Quote:
Here's today's news article about the town which is the county seat of the county I live in, population @20,000. They've been trying for 17 years to get a big box store and haven't yet.

Will Greenfield get a Big Box store? | WWLP.com

I'm not interested in big box stores, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Walmart. Some of you may need to travel more and see other parts of the country though.

---Some of you may need to travel more--

Why, to see places that are the exception rather than the norm regarding small cities/towns ?

I'm retired and take ,usually,2,........3,000 roundtrip miles per year.

I can assure you the many statates I pass thru does not have 5,000 pop towns resembling yours.

Perhaps --you--are the one who should leave their bedroom community/suburb and see more of America.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:23 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,169,755 times
its area must small,i think.... if the area is large,but Population of the people is litter, also can call it small town.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times
The MOST important criteria for a small town is that it more than a few minutes drive from a big city. A town of 100 is not a small town if it's across the street from Chicago.

I used to work in Westwood Hills, Kansas. A "small" town of 378, completely surrounded by metro Kansas City (literally across the street from Kansas City MO), with shopping malls within walking distance. There was only one building in Westwood Hills that was not a private residence---the corporate headquarters of my employer. Who, by the way, paid the bulk of the town's property taxes, much to the delight of the residents, whose median income is over $100K.

The difference between a town of 5,000 in Massachusetts and a town of 5,000 in Minnesota lies largely in its proximity to a larger nearby city where the commerce can be centralized for the whole area.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-09-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 11:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,537,777 times
Everything is relevant to what part of the country, how big the town, how close to a metropolis, what the industries are, etc.

We have large towns here where I live, by land area. I live ( by address) in a town of 40,000. The next town is close to my back land line has about 6,000. [I live midway between the 2, on acreage, and the guy behind me grows corn and sometimes beans or hay. A farm a mile south of me grows vegetables and across the road, another guy hays.] Ok, so when I go shopping, I can go toward the town my address is -- and 12 miles from me is a Kohls, a Walmart and some nice stores on a busy road.[ Not my choice to shop there]. It is still "in town".....Or, I can go 7 miles just into the vilage my address is in and shop at a strip plaza or in the "downtown". Not bad, plus the bank is there and the town hall. ....Or I can go 6 miles the other way to a supermarket w/a small strip plaza and half a mile beyond that is the village where the stores are. The 2 villages are just as nice as the big stores; if I want a big store, I will go to a mall.

The point here: I am at the rural end of a large town which is becoming a larger suburb -- thank heavens the building is at the SW of town and I am at the NE. The numbers make it look "big" -- people are crammed together in the village itself and in developments. Out here where I live, the same name is on the town... but we are on minimum acre lots ( we have septic) and usually people have a lot more land : we have less people per square mile! I consider us the town but the rural part. I shop in the more rural village that borders my rear lot line.

So, what is relevant for a small town? I much prefer where I am to a tiny town that is full of people -- especially college towns where the population never counts the students.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:43 AM

549 posts, read 1,882,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You're the one saying small towns with amenities don't exist
I did not say "small towns with amenities don't exist." I challenge you to show me the quote where I used those words or even made that assertion.

In my entire county in western Massachusetts there are 26 towns. Only one has a big box store, and it's the only big box store (Home Depot) in all of Franklin County. Of the remaining 25 towns in the county there are no big box stores and half the towns do not have a gas station, a bank or ATM, or a high school, let alone a store.

The current news article I linked to was about the town near me - population 20,000 - which is both the county seat and largest town in the county, and has been unable to get a big box store for 17 years.

The same is true of many of the small towns I have lived in, or know well, in Maine, Vermont, Mississippi, Texas and Hawaii. There's lots of small towns all over the place that don't have even a self-serve gas pump, a doctor, a bank or ATM machine, a single public school building, or police/fire station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living