Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about preserving rural living?
I'm all for it, I hate urbanization 46 60.53%
I see the point of it, but balance is what we need 25 32.89%
It's pointless, how is a place to ever grow?t 3 3.95%
I couldn't care less. 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times

Advertisements

I know in some areas, there are attempts to do so, and there is some land, that laws have been passed, stating that the land is not to have anything build on it, or what can be built on it is very limited. This is primarly to keep some farmland in many areas, and also lets not forget, we need some rural land for some of the things that we eat. What do you guys think? Do you think it's silly? Do you see the point? Or do you not really care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I am all for keeping areas rural. I live in a rural setting [homes are spaced 1/2 mile to 1 mile apart, most of the land is forested, people have large gardens / small farms, hunting and fishing are very popular, as is snowmobiling and off-roading].

However we are seeing that in these rural areas the state is pushing through laws which force the people to leave. not via elections, but backroom committees of political appointee cabinet members. So none of this is the will of the people.

Out-of-staters with lots of money have been buying up rural land and putting it into conservator-ships, so it can never again have farm houses on it, or be logged, or even hunted on.

Right now in the town where I live, the state has a 10-year plan for zoning and it talks about the end goal of restricting all 'non-primitive' land use [non-primitive is defined as anything which uses petroleum or electricity]. If this goes into full effect then farm tractors, automobiles, home heating, telephones, etc would all be outlawed.

I see an 'evil' in locking people away from their homes. People who have lived on their land for many generations.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Land for sale around me???

I buy it.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I think the preservation/conservation are laws are a good thing; but care needs to be taken not to eliminate everything. Limiting land for ag use (with the buildings and utilities necessary for them to function) or for "primitive use" only parks/preserves would keep large tracts from being busted up and sold for another look-alike McMansion subdivision... but the laws shouldn't make farming impossible or low-impact living impossible. They have to be reasonable.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Or, I say if youre going to build on rural land, why not make more of the homes true to rural living? You know Large estates w/ large yards, or cabin style homes. Or even the ranch style homes. Limit the amount of houses on the particular slab of land. I hope they preserve some of the farmland in my hometown b/c in my city you can go from a busy area to the country *snaps fingers* like that.

Why not leave some land strictly for agriculture and livestock?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Or, I say if youre going to build on rural land, why not make more of the homes true to rural living? You know Large estates w/ large yards, or cabin style homes. Or even the ranch style homes. Limit the amount of houses on the particular slab of land. I hope they preserve some of the farmland in my hometown b/c in my city you can go from a busy area to the country *snaps fingers* like that.

Why not leave some land strictly for agriculture and livestock?
Cabins from the 1800's are popular here often with an attached dairy barn.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Cabins from the 1800's are popular here often with an attached dairy barn.
What state are you in? I'm in Louisiana.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
What state are you in? I'm in Louisiana.
If you look on each of my posts in the upper right corner where it says 'Location', my town and state are listed.

I live in the greater metro region of Argyle Maine, population 250.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:04 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
I grew up on a farm and think a lot of people would be better off with some land and the knowledge to cultivate it. I can't stand the current "development" trend in which every house looks the same and there are HOA's that insist that everyones' lawns being exactly the same length. I actually wish our country were a little more agrarian. Although, I wonder if it could be done in a way in which the gap between the haves and the have-nots were not so large.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I d not thnik society can make this decisio or should. Its a individau decision really. I6tsa free country and we should encourage by any governemnt function a change in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living