Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM

17 posts, read 56,544 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in, or know about, a small town (<30,000) in the North East that has a food co-op (organic-healthy-crunchy-granola kind)?

I know about Brattleboro, VT, but they are planted right next to a nuclear plant so I would rather not live there. And Ithica, NY, but I am having a hard time finding a place to rent there. I am mostly looking in NY, MA, VT, NH, CT, ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM

143 posts, read 373,886 times
Google "Local Harvest"; the first website that comes up has a search feature that includes co-ops. Just type in an area that has other qualities you're looking for and if there is a co-op around, it'll come up.

I can name a bunch of towns with co-ops, so without anything else to go on, and with so many states listed ... well, your question is too vague.

How will you be making money? Cost of living in the northeast is high, but some towns more than others. Do you want a more 'upscale' town or something more 'regular'? College town or no? 30,000 people is quite large for New England; do you want to stay around that size or would significantly smaller be okay too? And so on.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM

First, thanks for that website. I cannot believe I did not find that one yet, it will prove invaluable.

I do not need a job, but I live in voluntary poverty so I am not looking for upscale. Not that I would have to pay for at least. :^)

I would not mind a college town but the upward rental price pressure in college towns seems to have gotten worse in the last few years so that is what this posting was really about. I lived in Port Townsend, WA a few years back and that is kind of like what I am looking for but out here in the northeast.

And anything less than 10,000 would probably be more to my liking.

Thanks again and now to sift through that website...

Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 PM

548 posts, read 2,093,718 times
The general Pioneer Valley/5 College area in western Mass. is what you're looking for - the 30 mile Amherst, Northampton, Greenfield, Brattleboro (VT) quadrant.

In addition to Whole Foods (Hadley), River Valley Market (Noho), the Bratt Food Co-op, Greenfield's Market/McCuskers in Gfld and Shelburne... there are so many farms, farm stands, farmer's markets, community gardens, Community Supported Agriculture co-ops, food co-ops, whole food restaurants, you'll definitely find what you want.

Rents and house prices are lowest in Greenfield and they have a great farmer's market. Rents are $500 to $850, plenty of decent houses for $200k.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Yes, teachertype, that area has been in my sights and I think that is where I am going to focus my energy. Have not thought of Greenfield. Have you lived in the area? Would love to pick your brain.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,433,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
Google "Local Harvest"; the first website that comes up has a search feature that includes co-ops. Just type in an area that has other qualities you're looking for and if there is a co-op around, it'll come up.

I can name a bunch of towns with co-ops, so without anything else to go on, and with so many states listed ... well, your question is too vague.

How will you be making money? Cost of living in the northeast is high, but some towns more than others. Do you want a more 'upscale' town or something more 'regular'? College town or no? 30,000 people is quite large for New England; do you want to stay around that size or would significantly smaller be okay too? And so on.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Northampton...NOT LIBERAL

I just got back from a short trip to Northampton, MA and Brattleboro, VT.

Northampton is NOT liberal, Brattleboro is.

Why? Northampton expresses the separation of wealth that is the antithesis of Liberalism. Rich people with rich homes eating rich dinners, then they vote liberal out of a guilty conditioning. Another Disneyland, just like Carrboro, NC. Everyone still playing for power, all haircuts and no brains. I am waiting for neoliberals to understand that if you are rich you are making someone else poor.

Brattleboro is much more egalitarian, well and egalitarian as you can get under capitalism.

Northampton is an example of how consumerism takes over any new, or dominant, ideology to hawk its wares on consumers. You ride a bike, not because it is right, but because it is cool. (Single speed only please)

Liberalism, to me, has nothing to do with who you vote, since both parties are just PR for corporations.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM

365 posts, read 1,250,380 times
Try some of the small towns around Ithaca: Dryden, Cortland, Trumansburg (my personal favorite), Freeville, Newfield, Spencer, Groton...they're all within driving distance of Ithaca, NY. For even cheaper rents, take a look at a map and select a town just outside of Tompkins County, particularly in Schuyler County; you'd still be within easy driving distance of Ithaca.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,077,656 times
Well, at least you know the concept of egalitarianism... It is possible to have money without trodding on other people. Difficult, but possible. You are reverse-stereotyping (nasty stuff), and selectively focusing on one aspect of existence, so I fear your 'nym of "sage" might be premature. I know I wouldn't choose it... Here, this might explain a little why - An interview with me from back in 2001 A Conversation with Harry Chickpea (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/being_thrifty/68045 - broken link) Don't bother with the links or newsgroup in the article. Both are gone. Funny that she copyrighted the article. Maybe I should have copyrighted my answers to her???

Location advice: You might try the Hardwick/St. Johnsbury area. However, you'll still find farmers trying to make a living and having to deal with all the trappings of loans, equipment, etc.. You will find that money is still a valued method of exchange.

I might humbly suggest that you grow your OWN food from seed for three years, trying to remain as true to your ideals as possible, and THEN start commenting. The zen monk who works in the field without thought is considered to be very close to enlightenment. You seem very young, energy unbalanced, and too much in your head.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Well, at least you know the concept of egalitarianism... It is possible to have money without trodding on other people. Difficult, but possible.
If you can explain how this could be possible I would not hesitate to call you a politician, but not a sage.

Quote:
You are reverse-stereotyping (nasty stuff), and selectively focusing on one aspect of existence, so I fear your 'nym of "sage" might be premature. I know I wouldn't choose it...
You are a chickpea?

Quote:
I might humbly suggest that you grow your OWN food from seed for three years, trying to remain as true to your ideals as possible, and THEN start commenting. The zen monk who works in the field without thought is considered to be very close to enlightenment. You seem very young, energy unbalanced, and too much in your head.
You are right, I am an infant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living