U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM

14,719 posts, read 45,819,453 times

Advertisements

Maybe the area around Iowa City Iowa? I lived near Cedar Rapids a couple decades ago, the hot humid summers and cold snowy winters (winter comparable to Idaho Falls, ID, Summer comparable to Atlanta, GA - I am not making that up) drove me away. But it does have a nice community feel, although the CR area was not at all diverse - Anglo-Saxon white people door to door. Not mean or racist people, mind you, but at that time it was just a "human monoculture" like the corn fields.

So I would suggest you think about Iowa City because of the University there.

Have you ever lived through a Midwest winter, OP? If you have always been in Cali, it's a very different experience. I could certainly "take it" but figured I didn't need to. When every thing you do outdoors on a January day seems like an event in a "tough man" contest, to me that got old quick.

Good luck. I would really suggest you at the very least spend a weekend somewhere like Minneapolis or Chicago, even Detroit, during the mid-winter. Try it before you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM

120 posts, read 269,128 times
Point Pleasant Beach in NJ was named one of best towns in Jersey a few years ago. About an hour at the most to NYC, but it's a very nice community.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:25 AM

11,376 posts, read 10,525,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
My only hope is that my in laws own 85 acres in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. And they are getting old and will be needing help. So my wife and I will hopefully move back and live on the "farm" and get to experience a different lifestyle.
Take me with you! I'll pack my overalls and boots, grab my straw hat and gloves and I'll wait for you to pick me up on your way.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,198,151 times
How about a rural or semi-rural area of Arkansas or Missouri? I think you would find more black families in the rural and small town areas of those states than you would in MN or MI and thus you would probably find it more comfortable to "fit in". If you can, take a month long trip through the states you think would best fit your criteria and spend a few days in different areas, talk to people and try and get honest opinions about what you might expect if you move there. If you have children, it is especially important for them to find a comfortable place to call home.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living