U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM

27 posts, read 43,621 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a slow life. I've been living in Southern California for all my life now. And simply, it's been a hassle; mentally and certainly physically. Now I must say, it's no basics training. But once you look past the fast and glamorous life that is Southern California, you get to see this place for what it really is.
A mass horde of busy-bodied, ego-centric plebians.

And I for one am about tired of it.

I look around me day by day watching people; drunk on driving. Completely tranced by street lights. This isn't the life for me. I've gone through my childhood believing that empathy and carefulness were always a mile away. And now i'm seeing that this dog-eat-dog world mentality has pushed up us down into the barrel of human progression. Scrambling

We So-Cals are the last of the litter.

Now obviously this is a generalization. And like all generalizations there are exceptions. So if you're one of those people, please refrain from rebutting.
And I myself must admit my endless accounts of road rage, rudeness, etc.
I want to change my surroundings, so that it will further match my new found perception. Also please realize that these 'strong' words were only chosen to draw you into my post; because I truly do need assistance.

My sights have led me towards three ideal lifestyles.
-Open minded community
(I am black)
-Little to no crime.
-Mediocre Public Education System
(Thank God for Internet Access)
-Low-Costing Homes
(I'll take a small porch/cabin, seriously)

Quiet Rural Town
Cold all-around.

Friendly 4000+ population.
No large corporate establishments. (e.g Walmart)
Small houses (preferably with basement)

New Jersey Towns always appealed to me in some
weird sort of way. Maybe it was because of Kevin
Smith.

Large Community Town
Midwest is ideal.
Somewhere where raising a kid is also ideal.
Don't want to expose him to the harsh
world of capitalism. Won't shelter either.

COMMUNITY MUST BE THE BIG THING HERE

A place preferably rural. Everyone has their small lot of land.
But everyone is tightly knit together. Faces are familiar.

The ol' fashion "Rival High Schools" would be a plus.

Anonymous Haven
Again, cold weather is welcome.
A town located in the middle nowhere.
Miles away from any major highways.
Everyone looks out for each other.
Hardly any crime (petty theft crimes would be the most)
Local Bars, Mom & Pops, Community Center.

The whole shabang.

I'm tired of the city life. Would love to sit down and relax without having to worry about when my next paycheck with follow through. It was fun while it lasted; to say the most.

If you have any suggestions on potential locations, please let me know!

Pictures, anecdotes, statistics will do!
I love this forum and its wealth of information. The majority here is so welcome!

Also, if you too are in the same boat, don't shy away from posting!
Maybe we can work something out and find similar locations to rest our tired heads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:49 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,070,644 times
If you find someplace like you describe, I too would love to know of it. Best of luck in getting informative responses!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks MagnoliaThunder!

If you find any threads similar to the one i'm describing, please let me know!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,685,202 times
LMAO! I hear you brother! I'm so sick of the rat race that is Southern California. Problem is I grew up in St. Louis then spent 7 years in Colorado area (Denver, Boulder, Co. Springs). It's not just SoCal anymore. It's EVERYWHERE! Life in the US is just a damn joke nowadays. Atleast in cities and suburbs. We are slaves to our mortgages, our jobs, our cars, our bills. I'm sick of it and I'm only 31 years old. My dream is to move out into the country somewhere....if that even exists anymore in the USA...and have some cows, grow a garden, live as simply of a life as possible. But I think it's more a dream. I did what society and my parents expected of me. Did well in K-12 school, never got in trouble, went to college, blah blah blah. And I'm probably as unhappy as I've ever been with this lifestyle. I put off going to become a mountain guide to make the safe responsible decision of becoming a registered nurse. I make good money, have a nice schedule but I can only imagine what my life would have been like if I'd had stuck with my dream of being a mountain guide climbing 14teeners, running white water, and backpacking throughout the world. Good luck with finding your slice of heaven friend! I wish you luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,685,202 times
My only hope is that my in laws own 85 acres in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. And they are getting old and will be needing help. So my wife and I will hopefully move back and live on the "farm" and get to experience a different lifestyle.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,067,124 times
Well, if the cold doesn't scare you...

I know of several places in Michigan/Minnesota/Wisconsin that would be a good place to start looking. However, there isn't much diversity--your child may be the only black child in school. There doesn't seem to be any discrimination, but then again, I'm white.

So here are my thoughts:

Minnesota is the most progressive of the three.

For a small town, Ely, Minnesota (around 4,000 people).
For a medium-sized town, Marquette, Michigan (around 20,000).
For a city, Duluth, Minnesota.

However, when you say cold... Ely gets to -20 in January. Marquette gets between 200-300 inches of snow every year (but isn't as cold!). Duluth gets some nasty winds on Lake Superior. You can't beat any of them for beauty. Cost of living is extremely low compared to SoCal (but jobs may be hard to get--easier in Duluth). They are in the "middle of nowhere." Ely and Marquette are both very community-orientated. Duluth I don't know as much about and has it's own issues (both positive and negative) and I'm not the best one to promote/negate them. They all have colleges (Ely has a community college). All have a lot of events going on yearround.

If you want to know more of any of them, let me know.

I should add that I would move back to either Ely or Marquette in a heartbeat. Ely, especially, is an amazing town that you don't find too often anymore. No big chains and those that are there (Pamida, Dairy Queen, etc.) are locally owned and managed. It has a very active artist group, and the community college presents several speakers every year.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM

@SoCalCroozer I hope your plans follow through. Living once is a guarantee. Anything else after that is debatable.

@crazyme4878 Thanks for the insight. I've been the odd man out for a good portion of my life. I'm sure a few thousand eyes glaring towards my stationwagon the first time I pull in won't bother me as much.
Do you have any other suggestions? Know of any places in the midwest?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:13 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,473,588 times
Don't get caught up on the 'no WalMart' thing because they're so ubiquitous even in small towns and that would likely take a number of otherwise good options out of the running. If anything, the presence of one of those and a cluster of fast food restaurants suggests a certain long term economic stability for the area- if the town wasn't at least somewhat stable, then the big box wouldn't have moved in. (and a McDonalds and Sonic serve a different purpose and economic niche than a Mom & Pop breakfast place or bar & grill and frequently coexist fairly well)

Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Don't get caught up on the 'no WalMart' thing because they're so ubiquitous even in small towns and that would likely take a number of otherwise good options out of the running. If anything, the presence of one of those and a cluster of fast food restaurants suggests a certain long term economic stability for the area- if the town wasn't at least somewhat stable, then the big box wouldn't have moved in. (and a McDonalds and Sonic serve a different purpose and economic niche than a Mom & Pop breakfast place or bar & grill and frequently coexist fairly well)
Thanks for the knowledge! I believe I was referring to an abundance of giant corp. stores. Do you know of any towns that might fit the criteria I listed above?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:57 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,067,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodoHeard View Post
@crazyme4878 Thanks for the insight. I've been the odd man out for a good portion of my life. I'm sure a few thousand eyes glaring towards my stationwagon the first time I pull in won't bother me as much.
Do you have any other suggestions? Know of any places in the midwest?
By midwest, do you mean a little farther south? My firsthand knowledge of towns in the midwest is limited to MN, WI, MI and the NE corner of Iowa.

I also am looking for small, community-orientated towns, preferably in the northern tier of the U.S. I have found that looking at small college towns helps narrow the search down. Usually, there is a bigger push in these towns to shop locally and help support a vibrant downtown. They also bring in lecturers and have more workshops, adding more community events then normally. Also, the college employs educated workers (i.e. professors), there tends to be a better public school system (because they demand it/work toward it) and more inclusiveness. Again, this is all stereotyping, but it lets you know my thinking on my suggestions.

For further south, look at Decorah, IA. It is around 8,000 people, extremely low crime, vibrant downtown, a healthy private colllege in town (Luther), and good schools. There is a Walmart and some other chains. It is in the bluff country and very beautiful. However, you don't have to go very far west before you are in stereotypical Iowa corn country. The area surrounding it is very rural, but the town offers more city-like ammendities (food co-op, artist galleries, even a wine bar). There is also Winona, MN, Rushford, MN, LaCrosse, WI. I don't know a lot about these places, but my like-minded friend has lived in/near these places and has liked them over. She says Winona's downtown is dying (but it is a progressive city, for what it is worth); Rushford is tiny--3,000 people, and is a farming community; LaCrosse is "known" for the amount of bars in it's downtown, but she says the downtown area is awesome (shops, coffee shops, etc.).

My friend just threw out some larger city ideas: Moscow, ID, suburbs of Mpls/St. Paul. However, even the outer towns of the Twin Cities are getting big (I grew up near by).

My best advice, though, is to stay away from north-central Wisconsin--specifically Mercer, WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living